Creative protein ideas, please

Options
I lack protein in a big way. I don't eat meat except at dinner usually and it's usually boneless, skinless chicken breast. I'll occasionally eat red meat. I don't have anything against it ;)

I don't like the usual things with protein, like peanut butter, cheese (well, I eat this but it has to be melted) and nuts make me feel really bloated every time I eat them. I also don't like yogurt. I can do beans, but I honestly don't even know how to incorporate them into my diet (as opposed to just eating a bowl of beans). I do do jerky once or twice a week, but the sodium is stupid high.

Right now I eat a Quest bar every day, but that's only about a quarter of my goal. I have protein powder, too - but I'd like to explore food options before supplementing twice a day.

I realize I'm a pain in the a*s on this topic. I really need creative ideas to help me reach my goals.

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Eggs and cottage cheese are 2 things I don't see mentioned above. Those 2 are staples in my diet.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    how about fish ? or vegetarian sources of protein - quinoa, lentils, edamame, quorn, tofu
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic I include a protein source with every meal, every snack. I haven't had a problem meeting my protein goals. Eggs. Blended hot bean soups. Try adding six nuts to a portion of pretzels and see if that is more digestible. On tough days I have a Premier Protein shake.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    those tuna packets r good
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Yeah, get some seafood in yer belly; shrimp, tuna, salmon, tilapia, etc.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    kashi

go lean original mixed with a scoop or less of your protein powder
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How about turkey. We eat a lot of fresh (not frozen) ground turkey (use in any recipe you normally use ground beef), and boneless turkey tenderloins. A bonus is that it has fewer calories than chicken breasts.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    as someone who doesn't like cottage cheese, but am desperate to find some good protein sources, I'll actually use it to mix with tuna or hard-boiled eggs and I don't notice the cottage cheese as much if at all.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I actually have the opposite problem - I eat TOO MUCH protein, a lot of the time!

I eat a lot of eggs, tuna, chicken, cheese (you mentioned that you need to have it melted - is string cheese an option?), turkey, nut butter (almond or cashew is good).

Baked beans are great, if you like those, but the downside is that they take a while to make from scratch. Maybe you could also try hummus - it's really easy to make and it tastes great.

Sometimes I'll eat Special K - they make a high protein version that's really tasty. You could also try pumpkin or sunflower seeds - they have quite a bit of protein in them.

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Grubs and other larvae are supposedly high in protein and other nutrients. A very under-utilized food source. You said creative ideas.

First, foods do you like? Any fish, beef, fowl, or dairy?

The protein sources you mentioned are also high in fats - PB, nuts, cheese. Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and simple canned tuna have very high protein to calorie ratios. They are instantly available - open a can and go.

Beans, even canned beans, take more time and planning. We normally have beans in stews from the slow cooker.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I can do tuna as far as fish goes, but that's about it.

No to the cottage cheese, yes to the string cheese.

I've tried Almond butter in the past, didn't care for it, but maybe that was just the brand. Will try again.

I love sunflower seeds - I had forgotten all about them.

I could totally incorporate more turkey into my diet - thanks for that idea. How is the flavor vs ground meat?

I've never tried tofu, but am totally willing to.

Thank you all so much for the new ideas!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Is sunflower seed butter a thing? If so I'm totally on that train.
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from eggs, fish, cheese (cheese sticks are convenient and I have kids, so we always have them), chicken, almonds...
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Considering your strong likes/dislikes, take care with the tofu. I tried three times until I found a recipe hubby would tolerate. I learned that the firmness of the tofu is critical to the recipe and the texture of the final product.

This is a non-dairy version but you can use your imagination using real dairy if you like:
    http://www.culinate.com/recipes/collections/Contributors/zanne_miller/eggplant_parmesan
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are good to snack on.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Considering your strong likes/dislikes, take care with the tofu. I tried three times until I found a recipe hubby would tolerate. I learned that the firmness of the tofu is critical to the recipe and the texture of the final product.

This is a non-dairy version but you can use your imagination using real dairy if you like:
    http://www.culinate.com/recipes/collections/Contributors/zanne_miller/eggplant_parmesan

I do have really (really) intense texture issues with food - so thanks for the info!!
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem.. Low Protein(13%) and high Fat(40%)! Not sure if the answer is beans, per se, but I'm still searching for a low-calorie option myself. Will report back when I find a few options/recipes!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I found as I raised my protein, so did my fats. These two macros go together so well. Also, the most needed vitamins in meats is stored in the fats! So I've reconciled myself to enjoying the beneficial fats (in moderation) along with my protein.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seed butter is a thing and it's delicious! You can get it at Trader Joe's or most grocery stores but it's very easy to make. Lots of recipes online but basically process sunflowers in a food processor until it's very loose (takes a few minutes). Add honey and cinnamon and turn on processor for a minute or two more. While it's running add neutral oil (or light olive oil) in a drizzle until it gets to the consistancy you want. I make it for my daughter because she can't bring peanut butter to school.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I found as I raised my protein, so did my fats. These two macros go together so well. Also, the most needed vitamins in meats is stored in the fats! So I've reconciled myself to enjoying the beneficial fats (in moderation) along with my protein.

Yeah I'm insulin resistant right now (well, maybe not anymore). My main goal when I started 8 months was simply to lose weight with a moderate carb intake. I've lost 65 pounds now, so I'm starting to focus more on my macros and upping my protein and fat.