Creative protein ideas, please

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Man I go away over every day and I'm not even trying. I have a high protein/low carb wrap with deli ham and some kind of cheese most mornings (can get low sodium or whatever if it bothers you). Omelets are great too (egg whites or whole eggs). Bacon. Sausage. Fish. Pork. Shrimp. So many options. You say you don't like yogurts, how about yogurt parfaits? I mix some plain Greek yogurt with a bit of jam, some fruit, and some high protein granola and it's fantastic.

Nuts and nut butters are not good sources of protein so I don't even know why they are always mentioned.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Sunflower seed butter is a thing and it's delicious! You can get it at Trader Joe's or most grocery stores but it's very easy to make. Lots of recipes online but basically process sunflowers in a food processor until it's very loose (takes a few minutes). Add honey and cinnamon and turn on processor for a minute or two more. While it's running add neutral oil (or light olive oil) in a drizzle until it gets to the consistancy you want. I make it for my daughter because she can't bring peanut butter to school.

Oh that sounds delish!!! Thank you so much!!
  • bewright09
    bewright09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has a lot of protein in it. I also use a lot of beans and lentils as a meat replacement. A couple examples of that would be: black bean and avocado tacos (instead of ground beef), shepherd's pie with lentils and veggies (instead of lamb). Tofu in moderation is good, but be wary of consuming too many soy products!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It looks like you will eat breakfast sandwiches, so what if you made your own and played with the ingredients to maximize the protein? So for example taking things you will eat and plugging them in to see what has the most for you...turkey sausage, pork sausage, ham, beef...whatever you like. Different types of cheese...the American I believe is low if you would do cheddar or swiss...
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Man I go away over every day and I'm not even trying. I have a high protein/low carb wrap with deli ham and some kind of cheese most mornings (can get low sodium or whatever if it bothers you). Omelets are great too (egg whites or whole eggs). Bacon. Sausage. Fish. Pork. Shrimp. So many options. You say you don't like yogurts, how about yogurt parfaits? I mix some plain Greek yogurt with a bit of jam, some fruit, and some high protein granola and it's fantastic.

Nuts and nut butters are not good sources of protein so I don't even know why they are always mentioned.

Omelets are great, and I love them. I don't know why I don't make them more. Thanks for the reminder.

I really just can't do yogurt at all. Greek yogurt is especially terrible to me.

My goal is to hit around 30 grams of protein a meal and I'm really falling short most days.

I really do wish I didn't have so many food/texture/aversion issues.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein. I started eating eggs just this year, and now I eat 1-3 a day plus extra whites.

I also love plain greek yogurt--I eat 1-3 containers per day. (Fage is my preferred brand.) Depending on what I mix into it/how many calories I have to burn, I use full fat, 2%, or 0% fat. Typical toppings include: toasted walnuts with just a bit of sugar-free maple syrup, plain canned pumpkin with or without toasted pecans added to the top, canned pineapple tidbits, fresh/frozen berries, and sometimes puffed wheat cereal for texture if I don't use nuts. When I do use nuts, it's just 10g, and if I use the puffed wheat cereal, it's usually just 5-10g. My latest love is mixing the 0% yogurt with crushed pineapple and a Tbsp of sugar-free pistachio pudding. (It's like the holiday treat that usually also has whipped cream and marshmallows, and still super-delicious!)

My husband and I always pre-cook skinless, boneless chicken breasts to have in the fridge and add them to pretty much everything we eat--easy to just throw in. Or we'll just grab one for a snack on its own.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    It looks like you will eat breakfast sandwiches, so what if you made your own and played with the ingredients to maximize the protein? So for example taking things you will eat and plugging them in to see what has the most for you...turkey sausage, pork sausage, ham, beef...whatever you like. Different types of cheese...the American I believe is low if you would do cheddar or swiss...

I will try cheddar next time! I use it on my tacos, but my sandwich I use American out of habit (I know, it's not even cheese ;) )

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm insulin resistant right now (well, maybe not anymore). My main goal when I started 8 months was simply to lose weight with a moderate carb intake. I've lost 65 pounds now, so I'm starting to focus more on my macros and upping my protein and fat.

Congrats! 65 lbs makes a world of difference.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    What about pork? Deli meats?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    How about....more chicken?

I frequently eat a pound of chicken in the course of a day, plus protein shakes, egg white+cheese omelets, and tuna or salmon. Also, a 10g "high-protein" (lol) packet of Quaker oatmeal with 1-2 scoops of protein powder in it can be delicious and 35-60g protein right there.

It does take some work, but pre-planning meals can make it easier.
  • marcelly92
    Options
    Protein powder can be used in tons of recipes and can be made into delicious baked goods like muffins or added to other things, so get creative! Here are some ideas, you can find more just googling protein powder recipes. The kind I like to use is EAS Lean Vanilla Protein powder and its like 100 calories for 15g. I find protein powder to be better when mixed with stuff or baked.

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/556857-20-delicious-protein-powder-recipes-that-are-not-shakes/#slide=1

Edamame is pretty good, you can cook it and eat the beans out of the pods or roast some and eat them like peanuts. I like to add them to salads or roast some and take them to go, because compared to peanuts they are like 130 calories a serving with 14g protein compared to like 170 and 6g.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Someone once suggested a book named Natural Harvest to me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    How about doing an omelette for breakfast with ham and cheese in it? And some extra egg white. That would get a lot of protein in. And the cheese would melt :)

I buy babybel lights as snacks sometimes. They're not melted, but they're quite soft, so you might like them.

I get a lot of protein, but it's from things you don't like..yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter...
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Someone once suggested a book named Natural Harvest to me.

I went to Amazon to look, and this was the second result.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Oh. Well. Now I understand why that was the second result.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAH @RivenV

• TheVirgoddess
    Options
    How about doing an omelette for breakfast with ham and cheese in it? And some extra egg white. That would get a lot of protein in. And the cheese would melt :)

I buy babybel lights as snacks sometimes. They're not melted, but they're quite soft, so you might like them.

I get a lot of protein, but it's from things you don't like..yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter...

I do like the Babybels.

And yeah, I know my taste in food is super obnoxious. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    HAHAHAH @RivenV

Seriously well played. I bow to you.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Roasted edamame is a good source of protein, they have different flavors you can choose from.