Bulking but HUNGRY and gaining too fast :-(

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Also, what percentage of your protein intake comes from food sources of protein vs supplemental sources of protein?
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Each of your meals should consist of three primary macronutrients: Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats.

Protein is the most important nutrient for gaining mass, because only protein can be converted to muscle. Your body breaks dietary protein down into building blocks called amino acids, which are then reassembled into your body's own protein, including tissue, like muscle.

Carbohydrates are the primary fuel source for weight training. They provide your body with a source of quick energy. If you're too low in carbs, your body will pull them from other energy sources, including breaking down it's own muscle.

Fat is another great source of energy for bodybuilding. It also helps fight inflammation from joint pain and muscle soreness. Fighting inflammation helps lead to a quicker recovery. Also, essential fatty acids, namely Omega 3's, help support growth and hormone production.

Quote from " The book of Beast" by Sagi Kalev, professional bodybuilder, nutritionist and trainer.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    bd208 wrote: »
    Each of your meals should consist of three primary macronutrients: Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats.

If your meals aren't consisting of the macronutrients then you should stop trying to eat plastic, cardboard, and dirt.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

If your meals aren't consisting of the macronutrients then you should stop trying to eat plastic, cardboard, and dirt.

Or alcohol...

ETA: Not a dig at the OP or anything, just that it tends to mess up the calorie-macros!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to cut the simple carbs way back. I know you feel like you need them, but they make you hungrier by raising insulin. Try replacing the morning bread and toast with sources of protein and fat. You may feel worse for a few days until you get used to it.

Also, your diary shows very few vegetables. Maybe you're eating them and not logging them, but if not .... Veggies are magic food. They add bulk and make you feel satisfied, as well as providing nutrients with relatively few calories. Try whole beans, legumes, brocolli, kale, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms ... make a huge stirfry or a vat of vegetable soup and eat that when you're hungry.

For dealing with hunger: fiber > fat > protein > carbs. Your diary is almost the exact opposite of that.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    In for magic vegetables!
  • mjwallace09
    mjwallace09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some really good responses here. summary of key points:
    1. eat real foods as much as possible
    2. protein ~ 1g/lb should be good.
    3. fats are satisfying and healthy, op should consider increasing fat intake in place of excess protein

Fiber fills you up and keeps your stomach working on digesting. I find sweet potatoes, broccoli, and blackberries to be good sources of fiber with low calories so I can eat more of them.

I find a number of calories that is satisfying to me so that I am not hungry for a couple hours. Then I eat small meals every few hours with each meal hitting that number that makes me satisfied (for me between 400-600 calories and I'm good for a while.)
    Typical day: awake 16 hours, if I eat 5 meals during the day, 3 hours between meals... each meal could be 500 calories to hit 2500 calorie daily goal.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating at a surplus and often hungry too. Could part of this just be part of being a lady lifter? But I also agree with the above folks about increasing veggies and fats. OP I think our cals are about the same and I do ~300 carbs 80 fat 120 protein on workout days and ~250-100-120 on rest days. And now that I'm in a surplus I haven't had any problem with heavy lifts even when I slack off on protein a bit.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Mostly just because I need the protein and carbs to be high, so fat ends up being lower % by default.

Protein isn't actually that big of a thing while bulking - your body can only process so much. As long as you're hitting more than 0.8g per lb, you should have plenty.

It's not that your body can't process all that protein, if that were the case you'd throw up/have violent diarrhea if you ate more protein than that. It's because your body can only utilize a certain amount of protein for muscle synthesis.

That's what I meant, you just said it better :)

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    In for magic vegetables!

2nd but only the mushrooms part...those are vegies...right?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In for magic vegetables!

I want these magic veggies too... I read "they add bulk" and got super excited! :p
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    In for magic vegetables!

2nd but only the mushrooms part...those are vegies...right?

And "whole beans and legumes"
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are mostly eating processed food, and no veggies....Fill up on the veggies, it will take care of the hunger
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the fab replies, plenty to think about!

I eat tons and tons of veggies, as all my main meals are made from scratch and consist of a form of protein + lots and lots of yummy veg. The magic slow cooker (crock pot) goes on every evening in order to make the next day's food. I just log them as my own recipes and tend to call them by whatever meat/fish I used. I certainly get loads of fibre.

I think I will have to try upping the fat, and see if that helps. I am not sure I would be able to do intermittent fasting, as if I don't eat I start to get wobbly (not to mention bad tempered!)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Protein is the most important nutrient for gaining mass, because only protein can be converted to muscle. Your body breaks dietary protein down into building blocks called amino acids, which are then reassembled into your body's own protein, including tissue, like muscle.

Carbohydrates are the primary fuel source for weight training. They provide your body with a source of quick energy. If you're too low in carbs, your body will pull them from other energy sources, including breaking down it's own muscle.

Fat is another great source of energy for bodybuilding. It also helps fight inflammation from joint pain and muscle soreness. Fighting inflammation helps lead to a quicker recovery. Also, essential fatty acids, namely Omega 3's, help support growth and hormone production.

Quote from " The book of Beast" by Sagi Kalev, professional bodybuilder, nutritionist and trainer.

what about the fourth macro….????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    My recommendation is to cut the simple carbs way back. I know you feel like you need them, but they make you hungrier by raising insulin. Try replacing the morning bread and toast with sources of protein and fat. You may feel worse for a few days until you get used to it.

Also, your diary shows very few vegetables. Maybe you're eating them and not logging them, but if not .... Veggies are magic food. They add bulk and make you feel satisfied, as well as providing nutrients with relatively few calories. Try whole beans, legumes, brocolli, kale, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms ... make a huge stirfry or a vat of vegetable soup and eat that when you're hungry.

For dealing with hunger: fiber > fat > protein > carbs. Your diary is almost the exact opposite of that.

why would you limit any carb when bulking…??????
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    [*] eat real foods as much as possible

LOL
  • PwrLftr82
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    zarckon wrote: »

why would you limit any carb when bulking…??????

Because the OP is eating TOO MUCH food. Dropping carbs a bit and increasing fat should make her more satiated and therefor eat enough of a surplus to bulk without going overboard.
  • PwrLftr82
    edited December 2014
    Options
    double.

• Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The fourth Macro??? Please God tell me the fourth macro is Ice Cream? ;-)

I have honestly no idea how I used to survive on 1,700 Kcal per day, but now don't feel full on 2,500. Time to bring out the oily fish and the other 'good' fats. But not advocado - as it is truly disgusting!