I hate you, alcohol

Options
So. many. friggen. calories in alcohol!!!!!

I ate in excess of 3000 calories on Sunday cause I drank all night. I am not a full pound higher than when I started.....

Continuing to record as accurately as possible. I'm noticing that I'm not doing the things I need to do to lose weight.

Trying to remember to be gentle.....sigh.....I'm also skipping the gym. I can't get into a routine cause - obviously - I don't actually 'like' the gym. I used to like it, way back one day a long long time ago. I get home from work and I just don't want to do a single thing.

It's like, I need an activity that I can win. I used to be a figure skater and didn't want to do anything other than skate. I pretty strongly dislike doing any activity that I'm doing solely to 'burn up calories'. I don't 'like' spinning, I don't like the eliptical. I kinda like tennis. I kinda like zumba or some kind of dance. I don't mind weight lifting. And I like yoga. I mean, i could do those things. It just for some reason seems so, impossible. Ugh.

Replies

• callmepolly156
    Options
    try insanity workout
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, trying to get a grip on one's diet and "exercise" is too much to do at the same time. Maybe for now just try concentrating on eating better, weighing your food, etc. Exercise can wait-- it's more for toning than actual weight loss, anyway. Once you drop a couple of pounds, you will probably feel better, and want to be more active (instead of getting home from work and not doing "a single thing.") I don't like the gym, either!
  • timpaton1
    timpaton1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm also skipping the gym. I can't get into a routine cause - obviously - I don't actually 'like' the gym.

Could you try riding a bike? If you ride for transport, it's a really handy way of getting incidental exercise without actually spending much - if any - time doing it.

I could probably drive from home to work in about 10 minutes. By bike, it's 15 minutes. So by riding to work, I get 30 minutes of cardio every day, in 10 minutes of actual time.

Make it part of your routine. I took my car keys off my work keyring, and put bike lock keys there instead. The stuff I need to take in every day lives in a pannier bag that I leave next to the back door. My work shoes live at work; I change out of my bike shoes when I get there. So if I want to drive to work, I need to take two sets of keys, find a different pair of shoes, and move my stuff to a different bag (or carry a pannier bag to work). It's a hassle... easier just to ride.

And once you're at work with your bike stuff and no car, you have no choice but to ride home ;-)

If work is too far (or too close), try substituting the bike for the car for other trips. Time you're sitting in a car is time you could be on the bike... which is time you'll probably have to make up at the gym later.

I don't understand how anyone can actually like the gym. I haven't been in one for about half my life, but I've seen it on TV and it doesn't look enjoyable at all.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    If you don't like something - THEN DON'T DO IT. If you don't enjoy something, you're not going to be motivated to take part in it, on a rather consistent basis and in a high intensity at that. If you enjoy dancing, see if you can find some dance tutorials on Youtube. If you enjoy yoga, look up Vinyasa classes or classes online. If you enjoy Zumba you can get Wii/Xbox games that 'teach' you the routines, you can take classes - or again - you can find such online. The key to working out (and doing it consistently) is finding something that you enjoy, and that you're motivated to keep doing. You don't necessarily have to be married to said activity, but it should be something that you don't absolutely dread doing.

Also! One day of an excess amount of calories won't cause you to gain one pound: one pound is gained when you consume 3,500 net calories. So, your weight gain is really merely bloating (most likely from the dehydration of the alcohol), and/or the carbohydrates, salt, etc., from what you ate. Don't let the scale dominate your progress though! :)

Stay positive!
  • dhuno
    dhuno Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Baby steps, baby, baby steps. Be kind to yourself- most of us have these kind of moments! I agree about exercise just for the sake of exercise. I'm much better at some other kind of incentive, like having fun, getting more flexible, or gaining a new skill.

Good for you for keeping up the food journal even when you over-indulge. I'm not so good at that... Hang in there!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Those sneaky liquid calories!

Don't fret too much over one weekend, what are you doing this for if not to enjoy life? Next time you know you are going out prelog what you might be having that weekend and bank some extra calories in anticipation. Also alternate a glass of water between drinks and you will feel much better the morning after.

Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have never exercised or played any sport up until now. I used to say I was allergic to it.
    Now I have aquafit as my 3x weekly exercise, it being my least hated thing, then I make sure I sign up for at least another 2 hr of something a week. I am cheep so if I have paid for it I will force myself to do it.
    So far:
    Signed up for the Vancouver Sun Run, I walked the 10km in 1:30 after 4 month training.
    Belly dancing- that was just so silly I did it for 2 sessions. No coordination and lots of giggles, but it does make you very ab aware.
    Body sculpting, lots of small weights and squirming around on the floor. Giggling was frowned on so I didn't repeat that.
    Core Pilates, more squirming and rolling off balls. Great instructor so may repeat.
    Zumba, oh dear, I can't be near the mirrors as I scare myself and start going in the wrong direction. It is quite a bit of fun.
    Zumba Toning, similar to above but flinging hand weights around. People are learning to stay far away from me as my arms have a life of their own.
    I also have a 6 month pass to our local gym and pool, swimming lessons at the moment, I can float really well so far. I do have a weight routine for the machines- will start it in the new year once the swimming instructor has given up on me.

Anyway all that was said just to say to you - you don't have to do just one or two things; try everything it is so much more fun.

Cheers, h.
    PS I put on 2lb this weekend at the company weekend away, yup quite a few of them calories were of the fermented liquid variety.
    PPS don't look in exercise as a way to burn calories; it is a way to age with grace and health.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is the ultimate health and workout killer if you aren't careful. It messes with your body's recovering after a workout and your body isn't going to run efficiently for hours after drinking. IMO it is the only "calorie" that isn't equal since it does not interact with your body like any food does.

My suggestion is to cut it out if you really are taking on 3000+ calories worth of alcohol at any given time. :(
  • maryalicejohn
    maryalicejohn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just don't weigh after alcohol. Either you lose bc you're dehydrated or you gain bc you're bloated.
    I wouldn't count the scale to measure a good time!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why can't you go back to skating

find that thing you love and do it

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    As for Sunday, its one day, log it and move on. Find some type of activity you enjoy and engage.
  • bananabeannn
    bananabeannn Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    YES. I've spent a bunch of time researching yoga studios and will do a few classes this week. Baby steps. A body in motion likes to stay in motion, and a body at rest likes to stay at rest. Isn't that a law of physics? :)

Anyway, I weighed in this morning and am down about 2 pounds. Which is more in line with the number I would expect. My loss is being slow, but I've seen many on this site be successful with slow steady loss so...I'm going to roll with it.

Cheers.
  • mpaulson89
    mpaulson89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Drink light beer if your going to drink. It may be easy to say you will stop drinking all together but if you are going to binge drink and drink 5 beers it's a lot easy to cope with 500 calories then 1,000 calories.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do not know what you drank OP but for my birthday this year I drank over 2000 calories in 9 drinks. I had to cut it completely out to lose weight. Now I do not miss it but I do miss the not sober party days.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    mpaulson89 wrote: »
    Drink light beer if your going to drink. It may be easy to say you will stop drinking all together but if you are going to binge drink and drink 5 beers it's a lot easy to cope with 500 calories then 1,000 calories.

I would rather drink water than light beer....blech!

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

That is not a binge I know of. 5 drinks is a pregame to going to the bar.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There comes a point in the road where you really need to evaluate what needs to be done to reach your goals. It doesn't help to be fully aware of flaws that hinder your progress and do nothing about it. Hope it works out for you.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I make it fit, nothing can keep me away from my malbec <3
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

5 drinks is a binge? I think i was an alcoholic in college, then.

Or do you mean calorie binge?
  • nogrows
    nogrows Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean!
    I love to drink beers, do not like the calories. If you like cocktails you might like the link below.
    I also love to drink G&T and think it is a great idea to replace some of the tonic with soda water!
    On another note: I did not know that some people consider drinking 5 beers as binge drinking.....

http://www.oprah.com/health/The-Best-Drinks-for-Dieters-Low-Calorie-Cocktails/3