Strength Testing, Bench Press.

Options

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I think if you're working with a spotter and a power cage, you could get some negative work in, just be kinda goofy to do. I wish there was some sort of machine that would make it easier.

Jason - don't set your goals too high bro.

Well I do have a ATV winch mounted in the rafters for pulling motors and lifting stuff... Could rig it up to lift the bar back up so you could do solo negatives...lol Would be so redneck A video would be called for.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think if you're working with a spotter and a power cage, you could get some negative work in, just be kinda goofy to do. I wish there was some sort of machine that would make it easier.

Well I do have a ATV winch mounted in the rafters for pulling motors and lifting stuff... Could rig it up to lift the bar back up so you could do solo negatives...lol Would be so redneck A video would be called for.

Hey... hold my beer, watch this.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Hey... hold my beer, watch this.

That pretty much sums up most of my life growing up...lol
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

That's how I make it happen. All the heights work out perfectly for me so I have full rom, but once I drop my arch I can push the bar down on the safeties. It's a pain to reset the bar every time, but beats risking injury due to a bad spot.

One day I'll decide the hour commute to my powerlifting gym and perfect spots beats a two minute commute and working alone.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

With a couple of climbing straps securing the center of the bar, a decent water knot. That could work, easily. I think a cage would still be a must but that right there could work.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

With a couple of climbing straps securing the center of the bar, a decent water knot. That could work, easily. I think a cage would still be a must but that right there could work.

I'm still thinking that it's a viral video in the making.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I can make a bomber connection system, not sure I'd want to trust some janky atv winch though. ;)
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    I can make a bomber connection system, not sure I'd want to trust some janky atv winch though. ;)

Explain please.
  • dbmata
    Options
    janky atv winch: small winch in a potentially shady wall mount.

bomber connection system : bomb proof connection system to the winch's hook using some of my climbing gear.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    janky atv winch: small winch in a potentially shady wall mount.

bomber connection system : bomb proof connection system to the winch's hook using some of my climbing gear.

Got it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Nice idea with the ATV winch. I have a 3000lb superwinch that I mounted to my garage floor to drag in potentially disabled vehicles so I can put them up on the lift. Might rig up a pulley system so I can pull engines too.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Yeah, 1.5x is a good target, I'm about 45lbs away. I'm actually focused more on BW Press right now, 205lbs, need 15 more lbs. This time next year I should be there for both lifts barring injury and what-not.
    End of March next year will be the completion of one year back for me. Likewise, I looked at where I wanted to be in a year's time.

It's not quite been what I expected.

Ha yeah, this year taught me to establish more conservative goals and if you do better then you do better. I figure if I can't put 15lbs on my Press in one year then I might as well pack-up and go teach Zumba.

I think 15 is more than reasonable. You should be able to nail that dead nuts.
  • Nolan1009
    Nolan1009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Currently at 1RM of 95/100 @ 120 lbs(haven't tested recently but have done reps of 4 @ 90lbs in the past week). Could easily do 20 + reps @ 1/2 bw (60 lbs). I'm trying to up my numbers in the major lifts right now as I'm taking a month or so off from running and focusing on strength/building. Would LOVE to bench my bw one day :D
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Nice idea with the ATV winch. I have a 3000lb superwinch that I mounted to my garage floor to drag in potentially disabled vehicles so I can put them up on the lift. Might rig up a pulley system so I can pull engines too.

They are handy, Really good for lifting up my snowmobile to work on it.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Nolan1009 wrote: »
    Currently at 1RM of 95/100 @ 120 lbs(haven't tested recently but have done reps of 4 @ 90lbs in the past week). Could easily do 20 + reps @ 1/2 bw (60 lbs). I'm trying to up my numbers in the major lifts right now as I'm taking a month or so off from running and focusing on strength/building. Would LOVE to bench my bw one day :D

Great work. I think your BW is in reach.
  • dbmata
    Options

How is it holding a dropped load? That would be my ONLY concern.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Looking for an opinion; What do you do when you miss reps on 5/3/1? Reset or push on. Missed my last 4 reps last night - simply ran out of steam but overall satisfied with the workout.
  • redfisher1974
    Options

How is it holding a dropped load? That would be my ONLY concern.

Good point, A cage would solve that, or even squat stands set to the right level?
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Nolan1009 wrote: »
    Then it's all about your programming to get you there. Good luck!
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Looking for an opinion; What do you do when you miss reps on 5/3/1? Reset or push on. Missed my last 4 reps last night - simply ran out of steam but overall satisfied with the workout.

I personally think it does not matter if you miss as long as you hit failure, I always do OHP after my bench press so I do not need to use as much weight avoiding injuries due to high weight loads...So I cannot do as much weight but its to failure.