What to do in a gym?

Hello everyone,

I'm 5'3'' and trying to lose about 60 pounds. I've joined the gym but don't really know what I'm doing lol. I usually attend classes like body pump and body combat because they're structured. However, I like to change it up every now and then and use the machines. I find myself really lost and end up hopping randomly between machines. Does anyone have any routines they would like to share or any videos they follow?

Cheers.

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    On machine weights, If you go daily, do legs and core one day then Upper body the next with a day of rest in between to get started. I prefer weights before cardio. Honestly, the best way to get started on machine weights is to consult the staff and if possible engage a session or two with a personal trainer to get you started in the right direction. Brava for going to the gym and doing what it takes to get healthy.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    When I joined the gym 3 years ago, I set up a monthly session with a personal trainer for 6 months. In my case we worked with free weights and the trx stuff, but you could have them help you with a machine routine.

I did it once a month because I knew I would work on my own inbetween and that was the most cost-effective for me.
  • jenlaura
    jenlaura Posts: 28 Member
    Hi there, I would really recommend getting a personal trainer. I was wondering this around a month ago and I got one to do me a routine and it has been such a good investment. It really depends on what your goals are, if you want to do a mix of cardio and weights maybe try something like, 10mins warm up (via light cardio) then move onto either lower body or upper body and do things like, bodyweight squats or squats with dumbbells, lunges, goblin squats with a kettlebell, overhead lunges if you can, box jumps and bike sprints on a lower body day etc. Push ups, plank, pull ups, dips, medicine ball throws etc on upper day. Just watch videos and experiment in the mean time, but definitely get a personal trainer and find workouts you will enjoy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Personally my preferred approach to what to do in a gym would be go outside and then run in the real world.

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    The classes are a good start to get a feel for what you like. Even though some incorporate weights like pump, they're more cardio than anything, though. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. If you like cardio and the classes, nothing wrong with just doing that. I'm not a cardio fan, so I had to learn my way around the weight area.

If, like me at the beginning, you've never used weights, a trainer is a good idea to get you started with form, etc. I like the free weights more than the machines, but either way, having someone show you some basic form is a good idea even if you're doing a simple program like stronglifts at the outset. It doesn't have to be a trainer in your gym if you're at a big chain gym where the trainer's knowledge of lifting is questionable. You can ask around and find a private trainer at another location, too. The trick is to find one that will work with what you want and not just give you some canned program or spiel based on their own limited knowledge.
  • Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

I'm actually a student at the moment and cannot afford a personal trainer, I don't want to ask my parents for money either.

When I tried free weights, I felt that worked my body the best. So thanks for that tip!

As for running outside, I feel ashamed doing so because of my weight gain. I used to run 3-4 km every day when I was fit. I know I should just suck it up and do it, but until I lose some weight I really don't feel comfortable running outside. Actually that's one of my goals, to not be ashamed of running outside. It's also snowing a lot in Canada, but I feel that's just an excuse.

Cheers.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Many gyms have machines setup or grouped in a circuit, so you can go from 1 machine to the next without having to think much, and have done a full body circuit by the time you are done.

You mention being a student... are you working out at a college facility? Do they have any kind of orientation to the gym or to the equipment?

Either way, it shouldn't be hard to put together a machine-based routine. A couple of upper body pushes, a couple upper body pulls, and some lower body stuff depending on the machines available to you.

If you respond well to free weights, definitely look into those. Again, ask your gym if they offer any kind of orientation to lifting. There are lots of established and effective free weight routines out there, but it's important to get the form/technique down early.
  • Jamie Eason at bodybuilding.com has some strength routines w/ machines and free weights, and all the exercises have a video demonstration, if you're looking for some inspiration!
  • Jpat0
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Many gyms have machines setup or grouped in a circuit, so you can go from 1 machine to the next without having to think much, and have done a full body circuit by the time you are done.

You mention being a student... are you working out at a college facility? Do they have any kind of orientation to the gym or to the equipment?

Either way, it shouldn't be hard to put together a machine-based routine. A couple of upper body pushes, a couple upper body pulls, and some lower body stuff depending on the machines available to you.

If you respond well to free weights, definitely look into those. Again, ask your gym if they offer any kind of orientation to lifting. There are lots of established and effective free weight routines out there, but it's important to get the form/technique down early.

Yea my gym has circuits and I tried it. I leave the gym feeling unsatisfied and feel as though I could have done better. Maybe I'll try doing more reps per machine, because the amount they tell me doesn't do anything for me. I want to feel sore when I leave the gym. I'm not attending a campus gym, I go to Goodlife (Canadian gym).

As for the form, I can ask my body pump instructor. Thanks for the advice!
  • Jpat0
    Jamie Eason at bodybuilding.com has some strength routines w/ machines and free weights, and all the exercises have a video demonstration, if you're looking for some inspiration!

Wow, awesome. Yea, I'll check that out! Cheers.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I kinda just lean on the machines. Check out the folks in the cardio theater.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Jpat0 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I'm 5'3'' and trying to lose about 60 pounds. I've joined the gym but don't really know what I'm doing lol. I usually attend classes like body pump and body combat because they're structured. However, I like to change it up every now and then and use the machines. I find myself really lost and end up hopping randomly between machines. Does anyone have any routines they would like to share or any videos they follow?

Cheers.
    Get the book "strong curves" a do exactly what they say.
  • alan_huynh2000
    alan_huynh2000 Posts: 43 Member
    edited December 2014
    +1 for bodybuilding.com

You said your a student? Take a physical fitness class, they may even have some dedicated to weight training.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member

Yea my gym has circuits and I tried it. I leave the gym feeling unsatisfied and feel as though I could have done better. Maybe I'll try doing more reps per machine, because the amount they tell me doesn't do anything for me. I want to feel sore when I leave the gym. I'm not attending a campus gym, I go to Goodlife (Canadian gym).

Be careful evaluating the quality of your workout based on how sore you are or aren't.... they don't always correlate. Good workouts don't always lead to soreness, and soreness doesn't always mean it was a good workout.

If you can honestly say that you're pushing yourself, and pushing yourself HARD, then you're probably headed in the right direction.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Personally my preferred approach to what to do in a gym would be go outside and then run in the real world.

What kind of gear do you recommend to the OP? What do you use?
  • Jpat0

Be careful evaluating the quality of your workout based on how sore you are or aren't.... they don't always correlate. Good workouts don't always lead to soreness, and soreness doesn't always mean it was a good workout.

If you can honestly say that you're pushing yourself, and pushing yourself HARD, then you're probably headed in the right direction.

I think it's just psychological because I should know better as I'm studying medicine lol. Thanks for that though, I guess I needed to hear that from someone else.

Cheers.
  • Lucknawi
    Lucknawi Posts: 21 Member
    Probably has been said a few times here...

- Learn the 'machines' you have available to you, find out what parts of the body that they work for... best advice to start with I assure you.
    - When building a routine you want to stick to a set group of muscles for each workout (so change those groups daily to give them all a good workout) ie. Legs and Core, Upper Body... etc.
    - Challenge yourself but don't go too hard too fast, if you try to lift what you are not ready for you can get hurt.
    - If other gym members or staff are willing and are knowledgable then it could be good to ask for some suggestions... heck ask here even what the best 'machines' to use for muscle groups x, y and z and you can probably get a good answer from those that frequent the gym.
    - There is also a book for lifting, great resource and gyms are a great place to use the knowledge you gain from the book: http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Probably a bit of extra work, but you could head for the gym notebook and pen in hand, note the machines and makes that interest you, then go home and research them.
    I was interested in the rowing machine so did that, they had some really cool info & tutorials.
    I am old and go to the gym alone so tend to favour the machines for an upper body workout even though I am aware of their limitations.
    Here is my little work out, I do it twice a week:
    Chest fly 8x3
    Lat pull 8x3
    Seated chest press 8x3
    Seated row 8x3
    Standing cable row 8x3
    Pec deck 8x3

Cheers, h.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Find a lifting program like simply shredded for women, or stronglifts 5x5, and for cardio just get on a machine and pump it out for 30 minutes. Try to do intervals, or look up HIIT workouts.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Find a lifting program like simply shredded for women, or stronglifts 5x5, and for cardio just get on a machine and pump it out for 30 minutes. Try to do intervals, or look up HIIT workouts.

I can strongly recommend stronglifts 5x5. Just remember to follow the instructions, ie start with an empty bar and progress slowly. For overhead presses, you might want to start even lighter and use dumbbells. They are easier for your shoulders as well.