Can You Be Overweight and Healthy?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone is reading the article so I'm posting it here. It's long, so still not sure how many will read it. It raises some interesting points, I think.

I didn't read it before I made my initial post (but did now) and it seems I agree with it. The extremes (obese or severely underweight) are definitely unhealthy for everyone but there is a wide place in the middle where some can carry a bit extra around and be healthy, where others can't.

• mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm technically healthy as I am now. But all I know is that I can be healthy now but 90 extra pounds will definitely catch up to me. That is NOT heart-healthy!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the author's point that many lump overweight and obese together when they are not the same thing. Yes, it is a matter of a sliding scale and what would be overweight for one is more like obese for another.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I also agree with the author's point that many lump overweight and obese together when they are not the same thing. Yes, it is a matter of a sliding scale and what would be overweight for one is more like obese for another.

Yes, I think that is an important point. Also, I agree with the article that when you are overweight it's important where your weight is headed. Whether you are gaining weight vs. maintaining or losing weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Can you smoke and not develop lung cancer? Definately! But the risk is much higher, so why risk it? Being overweight increases the risk of heart disease and diabetes, so why risk it?

Does it really? The article seems to suggest that it's not always so.

What the article is stating is that as long as you are in good metabolic health you should be fine, and yes you could be overweight with a great metabolic health. But it also does state that the higher you slide on the BMI scale the higher your risk is of developing metabolic issues.

You could be overweight but active enough to counteract it, you could be overweight but lucky enough to have good genetics, you could be overweight by BMI but with a good fat distribution or a larger build, you could be overweight ever so slightly that you are actually at a good weight for you despite of what BMI says. Yes, all of these are possible. But if all things were equal (genetic predisposition, activity level, fat distribution.. etc) I believe a person who is within the normal range (not necessarily according to BMI) would be healthier than someone who has more extra weight.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well according to my BMI of 26 or so, and fat % of 22% ish, I am overweight.

Yet I can run a marathon sub 4 hours, run a half sub 1'45 and a 10k in sub 45' with an estimated VO2 max of 57.

So yes, I reckon you can ;-)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Can you smoke and not develop lung cancer? Definately! But the risk is much higher, so why risk it? Being overweight increases the risk of heart disease and diabetes, so why risk it?

What the article is stating is that as long as you are in good metabolic health you should be fine, and yes you could be overweight with a great metabolic health. But it also does state that the higher you slide on the BMI scale the higher your risk is of developing metabolic issues.

You could be overweight but active enough to counteract it, you could be overweight but lucky enough to have good genetics, you could be overweight by BMI but with a good fat distribution or a larger build, you could be overweight ever so slightly that you are actually at a good weight for you despite of what BMI says. Yes, all of these are possible. But if all things were equal (genetic predisposition, activity level, fat distribution.. etc) I believe a person who is within the normal range (not necessarily according to BMI) would be healthier than someone who has more extra weight.

Interesting. Why do you believe the part I bolded?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    Health is more than just about weight and great blood work though. Factors for good health are:

Weight (number 1 risk)
    Nutrition
    Enough rest
    Stress level
    Environment (smog, pollution, etc.)
    Risk behavior (smoking, etc.)
    Exercise/fitness level
    Genetics
    Mental statis (feeling happy is different than feeling sad, also illness mentally)

So one could be overweight and "healthy" in that aspect, but suffering from any of the others could trump it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I read the article before weighing in, so to speak.

"People of any weight who have high cholesterol, blood pressure or blood sugar tend to have higher rates of death, as well as heart and blood-vessel disease."

Yes, thin and normal weight people, if they aren't watching their health, might be carrying any of these conditions. Of course, the risk of getting these conditions rises the heavier you are.

Eighty pounds ago I was on medication for cholesterol, blood pressure, and high blood sugar. A textbook high risk patient.

I am curious about the effect of social status on cholesterol levels.
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/men-who-do-manual-labor-and-women-high-education-have-lower-cholesterol-levels-others-300458
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    just because your overweigh does not mean your unhealthy but losing that weight will make you healthier.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think people need to look at different factors together - not exercising, eating poorly, drinking too much, smoking and being overweight will all contribute to health risks. Some one who is overweight, but doesn't have any of the other four risky habits, would most likely be healthier than someone who is thin but otherwise making a lot of poor choices. It isn't that heavier people don't benefit from good habits. However, it also doesn't cancel out the risk of extra weight. Risks can also be overstated - being only15lbs heavier than recommended doesn't mean you are suddenly a walking time bomb. Our bodies can take more when we are younger (not that everyone should test this!). My highest recent weight (194) was a weight I also reached once in my late 30s. At the time it effected my mental health but didn't seem to take a noticeable physical toll. However, at 50 I started having back pain and my knees started to hurt. Luckily this scared me and I lost weight and now in the 160s these problems have disappeared. Now I am trying to lose 'vanity' weight rather "my god I'm slowly destroying my body's health" weight. Overall there are risks to being too thin and too heavy and there is a range in-between. While it isn't easy to keep within this range I think it should be everyone's goal to try their best and certainly not test the limits. Right now you may not have any indicators of obesity related problems but why play a game of russian roulette with your health (your indicator might be a heart attack).
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Overweight is a medical designation used to describe anyone higher than the normal/healthy range on the BMI scale. There are people who, due to sheer lean mass, qualify as overweight based on that alone. These people, however, are few and far between. There are a ton of people who think they qualify here but really don't.

Is it possible to be overweight from fat and still be healthy? It's possible for someone to be overweight yet not currently experience any health risks that can be measured by normal medical tools, but it does catch up with you after a while in terms of joint health because the bottom line is that carrying that extra weight from fat is hell on the joints. Bone density increases with muscle so as you build lean mass your bones become stronger, leading to stronger joints. Being heavier from fat carries no such benefit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Interesting. Why do you believe the part I bolded?

There may be other factors of course, but I believe this purely because of the numbers and risk probability according to statistics, purely in the higher end of the range of overweight, and purely regarding heart disease and diabetes (being the number 1 killer).
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Everything is relative.

I am 30 pounds from a "normal" weight. I would bet money I am in better health then the girl I work with who is a stick but does not exercise and eats junk food 24/7.

I think too many people will use the statement "overweight but healthy" as an excuse to not lose those few extra pounds. So I wouldn't be advocating it. I'd rather have a few extra pounds and be fit than skinny and unable to run up the stairs though. Then again my top choice would be normal weight and fit!

Everything is relative....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    algwynt wrote: »
    just because your overweigh does not mean your unhealthy but losing that weight will make you healthier.

I don't understand. If you are not unhealthy, then wouldn't you be healthy? How can you be healthier than healthy? Are you talking risk of future disease?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think the article made a good point at the end that it may also depend on your weight trend. If you're overweight and you've been losing then you may be more healthy than if you're the same weight but you've been gaining.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are unhealthy ways to shed pounds. So losing weight, especially dropping below the normal range, can certainly be unhealthy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Health is more than just about weight and great blood work though. Factors for good health are:

Weight (number 1 risk)
    Nutrition
    Enough rest
    Stress level
    Environment (smog, pollution, etc.)
    Risk behavior (smoking, etc.)
    Exercise/fitness level
    Genetics
    Mental statis (feeling happy is different than feeling sad, also illness mentally)

So one could be overweight and "healthy" in that aspect, but suffering from any of the others could trump it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well, yes, of course. Even things that can help keep you at a 'healthy weight' can cause you to be unhealthy through injury or overexertion. And you could be born unhealthy, or genetically predisposed to disease. There are no guarantees, no matter what you do or eat. But that’s not really the focus of the article.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Here's a far more interesting question.

Can you carry a 10-15% greater fat load than mean for "Average" and be healthy?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    algwynt wrote: »

I don't understand. If you are not unhealthy, then wouldn't you be healthy? How can you be healthier than healthy? Are you talking risk of future disease?

Healthy is a sliding scale and it's relative.