No exercise & weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    great advice & supportive ty. I prefer to work out daily it makes me feel better for the rest of the day. I was working out every day until surgery & my doc told me no working out. I wish I had just did calorie deficit after surgery. It was not easy not working out..now I'm finally back to working out. I feel better, I lost 5 pounds right away! Along with calorie deficit. Now I'm stabilizing and have to keep at it as I have lots more to loose.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Gmemacho wrote: »
    You know your body best... if you skip meal you body will send signal that you are fasting then reduce your metabolisme rate... not good for weight loss..

Unfortunately, this is also incorrect. There is no "starvation mode." It is a myth and has been thoroughly debunked.

If you would like to know more, read up on intermittent fasting. Read some actual studies, not some broscience blogs.

To be clear, I'm not an advocate of intermittent fasting, however, I have read the studies and have seen that it works quite well for a lot of people. Others do better with a steady stream of small meals and snacks. Meal timing can help you keep control of your calories, but it cannot, of itself, cause weight gain or loss.
  • Gmemacho
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is good as well, but make sure you can control your appetite during hungry... I worried after you starving a lot, you will consume more calorie then before... it will become worst when you metabolism is lower. That why some people get more weight after do diet program...
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    SnuggleSmacks 2 - Gmemacho 0
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Gmemacho wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting is good as well, but make sure you can control your appetite during hungry... I worried after you starving a lot, you will consume more calorie then before... it will become worst when you metabolism is lower. That why some people get more weight after do diet program...

I appreciate your concern. For myself, I find that I am hungrier and eat more if I eat early in the day. Skipping breakfast helps me to not be hungry, and to eat less. I wait until I am actually hungry to eat, rather than eating because it's breakfast time.

Most people who gain back weight after a diet do so because they did not develop healthy habits during their diet...they merely cut out foods, and when they went back to including those foods, they had no strategy for eating in moderation. This is why it's best for most people to avoid diet plans which call for cutting out foods or food groups. Long-term success is more likely when one develops a good relationship with food instead of vilifying it and using it as a cause for stress, shame and guilt.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    SnuggleSmacks 3 - Gmemacho 0
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Keep moving. Weight train or join a Pilates or yoga class. Keep those musc
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Muscles moving.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I actually lost a lot faster when I was not lifting weights. The problem is, I ended up skinny fat and weak. That was my first time around on MFP. I ended up gaining it all back as well. And quickly at that.

You absolutely can drop weight in a calorie deficit only, but it will be worth the time to add some resistance training and cardio in now instead of later as long as the Doc says you are good to go.

• mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I started MFP in August and with an Achilles injury was unable to exercise. I lost about 1 pound per week - In November got released to exercise and started losing closer to 2 # per week. I think it is possible - but slower - definitely feel better with the exercise.
  • AsiasMommy
    AsiasMommy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yeah exercising keeps me more motivated and feeling like I accomplished something...torn tendon slowing me down but not stopping me
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Yes. Weight loss is dependent upon a calorie deficit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 pounds down and done precious little in terms of exercise. Weight loss has far more to do with diet than exercise, but exercise will help the process move along and keep things from getting all jiggly (that's the scientific term).

I agree. If a gym is required to lose weight one is at risk of regaining should future events remove gym access. I find walking in the community and simple range of motion stuff in the morning before I leave the house is helpful. Learning a new eating lifestyle is the one critical thing for me personally that I am trying to address up front this time.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose weight without working out. That being said I think it is easier to do both at the same time to tighten up muscles and some loose skin. That seems to have worked for me.