Portion Sizes...who does this?

Options
Who makes sure they are trying to portion size their food so when it says 1/2 cup it is truly 1/2 cup? Who owns a digital kitchen scale to weight their food in ounces or grams?
I am asking because when I started seriously doing this about a month ago and making sure I wasn't guesstimating it has truly been making a difference in my measurements and my scale weight. I think that being more conscience will cause weight gain not to just creep up on me ever again.
Let me know!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My kitchen scale is my best friend! I weigh almost everything unless it comes pre-portioned from the store. I have a tendency to pre-portion the things that don't, too, so it's easier in the long run. Take that big bag of whatever and weigh out single serving sizes into plastic baggies. Those little snack sized bags are perfect for this, most of the time. Then you have a serving you can grab on the go or keep in your purse and you'll know exactly how many calories are in it.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I have (and use) my scale and measuring cups for just about everything I eat...
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm a mixer, half and half.

We have a 2-lb, non digital scale and a host of measuring cups/spoons.

Half the time I eyeball my food, half the time I eyeball and then measure/weigh that "estimate.. I find I'm usually spot on with my eyeballing... BUT I've had a lot of practice turning thrown together meals into shareable recipes so I've gotten good at eyeball estimates. For most folks, measuring and weighing everything is extremely important, especially in the beginning as we're retraining our minds and bodies.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Me!
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i have one also! i use that and measuring cups to measure out everything. you will be amazed and how bad you overestimate a serving. and i found out that a 4oz serving of meat is actually alot more than i thought it was.
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    I use my food scale for every single meal. I measure out liquids in a measuring cup and I weigh my veggies, meats & potatoes. I've found that things I thought were more calories are less and vice versa. Makes my meals better balanced and keeps me dropping pounds...

<3 my food scale.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Skinny people. :-)
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to do this more. At first I was like "Woah... Perception is waaaaaay off!" We get so used to what we think is a serving size but when you actually measure it can be a lot different. But since I started, a measured serving is just enough. I don't eat as much or snack as much either!
  • Anolte76
    Anolte76 Posts: 105
    Options
    I don't have a scale yet but I use my measuring cups on every meal now. It's really been helping.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Who makes sure they are trying to portion size their food so when it says 1/2 cup it is truly 1/2 cup? Who owns a digital kitchen scale to weight their food in ounces or grams?
    I am asking because when I started seriously doing this about a month ago and making sure I wasn't guesstimating it has truly been making a difference in my measurements and my scale weight. I think that being more conscience will cause weight gain not to just creep up on me ever aga in.
    Let me know!

I do! I do! In fact, my hubby tried to grab one of my almonds out of my pre-weighed serving and I smacked his hand. :laugh: I did have to explain that I weigh and measure EVERYTHING. If he wants some, he needs to go get his own! :wink:
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am all for it! I have found that my eyes are bigger than the truth sometimes... I look at a piece of chicken and think oh, that's about 4 ounces, only to find, in truth, it is closer to 7. Better to be sure from the start and then not have to worry about it anymore when it comes time to enjoy whatever I have thrown together for that meal....
    Measuring cups, and the scale are fast becoming best friends.
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am a compulsve food weigher :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It is highly recommended or you really don't know what and how much you are eating. It's a dieter buddy, it can be as important as Protein, Fiber and drinking your water.
  • livingnow28
    livingnow28 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale but I do measure what ever i can fit into a measuring cup or spoon.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Skinny people. :-)

LOLOL!
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Three of us in my family are weighing and measuring. Perception is very different from reality - especially for my teen-aged son.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I.Measure.EVERYTHING!!!! It's truely eye opening! What you think is a 1/2 cup is really more. 2 ounces of pasta was a LOT more before I weighed it! LOL. I think everyone should weigh their food and measure it out...when it's available to do so. It really does make a difference!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do! It really does help to be so accurate! :)
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am a compulsve food weigher :)

This. :tongue:
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I used to do it with everything when I started, but now I am much better with eyeballing it after a year. I still spot check a lot of things and always weight my meat and liquids, as I find those hardest to judge accurately. I have a scale and measuring cups, but always go with weight if it is an option.