Staple foods on your weight loss journey

Options

Replies

• smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I grouped them in a way that made sense to me... hope this helps

Eggs, greek yogurt, tilapia, boneless skinless chicken tenderloins, ground turkey/chicken, salmon, tuna, protein powder

Bananas, blueberries, strawberries, spinach (for smoothies and salads),

Frozen veggies... mostly corn, carrots, green beans, peas

Oatmeal, cereal of all kinds, whole wheat bread

Peanut butter, almond butter, salad dressings

Most importantly... CHEESE. Cheese sticks, shredded cheese. I could not survive without cheese :)

Almond milk, Crystal Lite and Diet Coke (sparingly)

Salsa and guacamole

I eat Chipotle at least twice a week :smiley:
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Anything that i can put in my mouth really. i never stick to the same food either so i keep it interesting.

My go to lately has been

Full fat Greek yogurt with Thaini and salt, makes a great dip for carrots.

Brown rice thins and Laughing cow cheese

baked pumpkin

Eggs

Pork Loin chops

Unflavored WPI protein powder - With cinnamon and no cal sugar, or Carob powder or a banana

Any vegetables - I love them all the same and they all have there place.

• IIGuardian
    IIGuardian Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Apples. I'm obsessed with trying every kind of apple there is.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Fruit (pie fruit, tinned in juice and fresh), veges; chicken and fish (frozen crumbed fillets usually); eggs; lactose free plain greek style yogurt (breaking the lactose molecule makes it mildly sweet); low carb, high protein bread; protein bars; peanut butter and vegemite; Laughing cow cheese to use as spread; avocado to use as spread and dips; tea and coffee, flavoured green tea to infuse water
  • zilannoj
    zilannoj Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts, ground turkey, bacon, feta, spinach, peanut butter, almonds, bananas
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit makes it incredibly easy to make a smoothie at any time
    Vanilla Soy Milk satisfies sooo many cravings; sweet, protein and carb cravings gone
    TEA!! and black coffee. No sugar/milk/cream in either.
    Granola for when I'm feeling to splurge, or to top on greek yogurt for a nice parfait
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Foods that I've found to be filling, satisfying and relatively low calorie thus have been eating most or every day:
    eggs (just one, at breakfast)
    whole grain toast
    sauerkraut
    cottage cheese - 1% or 2%, usually 1/4c at breakfast, 1/4c at dinner
    squash (butternut, buttercup, acorn, spaghetti squash, doesn't matter, they're all delicious and full of nutrients)
    broccoli
    spinach or kale
    raspberries or blackberries
    coffee
    almond milk
    brown rice or chick pea based crackers

not every day, but regularly:
    quinoa (pretty high cal, surprisingly)
    black beans
    tofu or tempeh, or vegetarian meat alternative like tofurky sausage
    cheddar cheese
    1% plain yogurt
    carrots
    clementines
    apples
    sweet potato
    cucumber + tomato + red onion + feta
    red pepper
    hummus
    canned tuna or salmon

that's been 90% of my diet for the past month, other than eating at restaurants or getting drunk occasionally and breaking down and eating a bunch of delicious, wonderful pizza D:
  • PudgyPanda91
    PudgyPanda91 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Celery
    Apples
    Spinach and/or spring mix
    Quest bars
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, Apples, tuna, cashews, eggs,eggs,eggs, laughing cow cheeses, carrots, cucumber, bananas, eggs,eggs, eggs
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Eggs, string cheese, yogurt, bananas, popsicles (the low-calorie ones like Outshine) as a treat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Foods that keep me on track: lots of vegetables (frozen, and fresh including spinach, kale, broccoli, edamame, cauliflower brussels, okra, red and green peppers...), some fruit (frozen berries, some applies etc.) almonds, cashews, pepitas, chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds,lentils and other legumes including refried beans and chickpeas, plain yogurt, soy or almond milk,avocados, nut butters, 100% whole grain wraps, rye crackers, quinoa, and a brown rice mix with mung beans, canned fish (herring, sardines), and some cheese.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, tuna, strawberries, grapes, eggs, peanut butter, peanuts, almonds, quest bars, string cheese, cottage cheese, salmon, black beans, chickpeas, brown rice, sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce, almond milk, flax seeds, green beans, iced tea.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    tuna
    eggs
    deli meat
    canned beans
    grilled chicken breast
    cheese (string cheese, babybel and Sargento thin slices)
    frozen cooked shrimp
    steam in bag edamame

I eat other stuff, natch, but the above are always in stock
  • greenminimalist
    Options
    Nuts, fruits, veggies, protein and gluten-free bars, hard boiled eggs (for the egg whites), tuna, black beans, and tea.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nuts, fruits, veggies, protein and gluten-free bars, hard boiled eggs (for the egg whites), tuna, black beans, and tea.
    I forgot about tea. I keep lots of teas handy. I put de-caf tea bags in my cold water bottle in the morning before I go.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hmmm let's see what I can remember. Some is the same as now, some different.

Coffee
    lettuce
    zucchini sauteed, grilled, tossed in a light amount of bread crumbs and baked for zucchini fries. Zucchini anything basically.
    tomato
    spinach
    cucumber
    boneless skinless chicken breast
    ground turkey
    lump blue crab
    tilapia
    salmon
    shrimp
    scallops
    fiber one bars
    low cal tortillas (La Tortilla Company...I think)
    peppers
    banana
    apples
    blueberries
    strawberry
    mango
    pineapple
    avocado
    sherry
    seasoning / spices. Sauce cal's add up. Seasoning and spices rarely cost you anything from a cal prospective and do way more for your food.

I still use pretty much everything on here except fiber one bars. Really it's more in the way you prepare it and portion size. How much butter, oils, sugar, cream etc, do you use? You can make anything lighter or heavier by changing out ingredients. You just need to get creative with it.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything special to aid in weight loss (although this thread reminds me I need to start drinking more tea again, as I do love it, and yet have been on an all coffee, all the time kick for my hot beverage of choice).

When I'm eating well and finding it easy to meet my calorie goals, however, I tend to have the following on hand:

Eggs (my morning staple), oatmeal (my alternative)

Various meat/fish options ready to be cooked (I tend to have stuff in the freezer and plan ahead enough to have an option or two in the refrigerator, defrosted and ready to go. I also keep a few options on hand like smoked salmon and sardines that don't need to be planned in advance)

Vegetables (I get seasonal options and typically supplement with spinach, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower, green beans, and the like, whatever the season--whatever you know you enjoy cooking and eating and can do fast)

Taste-enhancing staples (mushrooms, olives, garlic, onions, herbs and spices)

Potatoes or sweet potatoes (or rice or quinoa or pasta or the like)

Various fruit (currently apples and blueberries)

Low fat dairy (cottage cheese and yogurt -- lots of people swear by full fat, but I find low fat meets my needs more often and I like both)

Nuts (I tend to keep these at my office, as I don't really snack at home, but if you like to snack they can be good options and I tend to add them to an oatmeal-based breakfast as otherwise it's not as filling for me)

Protein powder and Quest bars (these aren't essential, but I like to sometimes add the powder to yogurt or oatmeal, and the bars make an easy snack or breakfast if I must rush out the door)

The trick for me is being able to make a meal within a few minutes from what I have on hand and ready to go and being consistent enough about doing this that nothing goes bad. This usually does the trick.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    apples, berries, veggies and almonds
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, frozen veggies in the steam bags, carrots, string cheese, coconut oil, smoothies (I use a banana, blueberries, spinach and a very small amount of juice diluted with water), almonds, peanuts, cashews
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I also still eat the same things, just less. I'm not really satisfied unless 40% of my total comes from fat, though.