Dry brushing?

Options

Replies

• FutureFormerlyFat
    Options
    Those dry pimple like things on the upper arm are probably Keratosis pilaris, simply your skin isn't exfoliating and it's dead cells built up. Harmless but irritating. I have the same thing and brushing does help it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Natural bristles towards the heart?

Synthetic bristles interfere with the magic I suppose.

There was no reason to be snarky. I even said in multiple posts I know there is no magical fix. The reason the reccomend natural over synthetic is it tends to not be so harsh on the skin. Synthetic brushes tend to be too stiff and typically scratch the skin which is not that you want.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'm curious... do you do your back? Like can you reach? What happens if you can't?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm too impatient to put lotion on my skin and brush my own hair. I'm definitely not brushing my entire 140 lb body. Nope
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    rita4453 wrote: »
    What is dry brushing?
    What is dry brushing?
    It's where you stroke your skin with a soft brush and know you did it right when your left leg starts to uncontrollably pound the floor, everyone knows that.

ROFLOL!!!!!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Taking care of yourself? Sounds like a win-win to me. Ignore snarks! The skin is the largest organ we have, be nice to it!
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I started dry brushing about 8 months ago. I've never had such smooth and soft skin. It probably takes about 2 minutes before my shower. And yes, the stretch marks, which I've had over 30 years from having my kids, have lightened to barely there. It was touted as getting rid of cellulite. My legs are definitely much better, but that could be from losing the weight and lots and lots of daily walking. So the jury is out on that one.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I've done it on occasion-- it's definitely good for exfoliation, circulation, and some say detoxing (because of the exfoliation only, of course). It feels nice but I am too impatient to dry brush my skin regularly! Sounds like it works well for you though.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What is dry brushing?

When you don't use toothpaste or water. Dry mouth.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

There was no reason to be snarky. I even said in multiple posts I know there is no magical fix. The reason the reccomend natural over synthetic is it tends to not be so harsh on the skin. Synthetic brushes tend to be too stiff and typically scratch the skin which is not that you want.

The "snark" was to illustrate the ridiculousness of the whole idea. Exfoliating excess dead skin can be ok but even with "natural" (you didnt say soft) bristles it can cause skin irritation or even infection if done too much. If you got rid of all the dead skin cells you would be down to live skin. Think about that for a minute. Live exposed skin. Recommending this as a daily activity without some instruction other than "natural" bristles towards the heart (whatever the heck that is supposed to do) could be a problem for some.

It wont help with cellulite because it wont effect the collagen bonds that are under the dermis layer. It wont detox or any of the other claims other than feel good. That is fine by itself but isn't really the point.

Improved circulation can be achieved by something actually productive like walking.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Those dry pimple like things on the upper arm are probably Keratosis pilaris, simply your skin isn't exfoliating and it's dead cells built up. Harmless but irritating. I have the same thing and brushing does help it.

That is exactly what it is, I just didnt remember the name. Exfoliation seems to make it go away though.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I'm curious... do you do your back? Like can you reach? What happens if you can't?

Yes I do. I bought a brush with a long handle so that I could reach.

• elphie754
    Options

The "snark" was to illustrate the ridiculousness of the whole idea. Exfoliating excess dead skin can be ok but even with "natural" (you didnt say soft) bristles it can cause skin irritation or even infection if done too much. If you got rid of all the dead skin cells you would be down to live skin. Think about that for a minute. Live exposed skin. Recommending this as a daily activity without some instruction other than "natural" bristles towards the heart (whatever the heck that is supposed to do) could be a problem for some.

It wont help with cellulite because it wont effect the collagen bonds that are under the dermis layer. It wont detox or any of the other claims other than feel good. That is fine by itself but isn't really the point.

Improved circulation can be achieved by something actually productive like walking.

Why is exfoliating your skin ridiculous? Like I said, I was asking if others have done this with positive results. I personally gave seen a positive impact. There was absolutely no reason for the snark. You could have easily said you don't believe it does anything. If you bothered to look anything up (instead of just jumping to conclusions) you would have seen that the reason they suggest towards the heart is so you are not pushing any fluid against valves. More specifically you are going in the direction of you lymph system, not against.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Ahh... long handle. I was thinking maybe it was like the size of a normal hairbrush.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Why is exfoliating your skin ridiculous? Like I said, I was asking if others have done this with positive results. I personally gave seen a positive impact. There was absolutely no reason for the snark. You could have easily said you don't believe it does anything. If you bothered to look anything up (instead of just jumping to conclusions) you would have seen that the reason they suggest towards the heart is so you are not pushing any fluid against valves. More specifically you are going in the direction of you lymph system, not against.

Reread. I did not say exfoliating excess dead skin was ridiculous.

Natural only bristles, towards the heart, for improved circulation, scar or cellulite reduction, and/or toxin removal is.

As for the blood flow or lymph system direction I will look that up. If it was as scary important as it sounds maybe you should have made it more of a point when explaining the process. Just like the stiffness or abrasiveness of the bristles. A simple rub down with a soft brush doesnt sound like the kind of thing that would endanger a persons major blood flow and lymphatic systems though. It doesnt sound like something that would do anything actually.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Natural only bristles, towards the heart, for improved circulation, scar or cellulite reduction, and/or toxin removal is.

As for the blood flow or lymph system direction I will look that up. If it was as scary important as it sounds maybe you should have made it more of a point when explaining the process. Just like the stiffness or abrasiveness of the bristles. A simple rub down with a soft brush doesnt sound like the kind of thing that would endanger a persons major blood flow and lymphatic systems though. It doesnt sound like something that would do anything actually.

How does a soft brush affect blood vessels under the skin? And what about the arteries? If you're brushing toward the heart, you're pushing against the arteries...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

How does a soft brush affect blood vessels under the skin? And what about the arteries? If you're brushing toward the heart, you're pushing against the arteries...

Are you asking me or elphie754? Because I dont know the answer.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Ahh... long handle. I was thinking maybe it was like the size of a normal hairbrush.

Some have no handle, others have long handles. I opted for a long handle because I know I'm not a contortionist lol.

Again, I was asking if other people had tried it, not if they wanted a lecture on how to. I answered a someone else's question and you felt the need to jump on me for it for no reason. I am sorry that you are such a bitter person, but I am done responding to you.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Hunh, the fact that there's even 'mixed' evidence around lymphatic drainage is a surprise to me. I've seen it advertised in spas forever and always thought it sounded like hoo-ha, but maybe it's not entirely hoo-ha.

I'd be reluctant to add dry brushing to the grooming I already do, but if it feels nice and you're liking how your skin feels, do it, why not?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

Are you asking me or elphie754? Because I dont know the answer.

Mostly rhetorical.