How many calories are you eating at 170 lbs? Eat more to lose more? How much protein?

Options
aerome
aerome Posts: 171 Member
I've lost 7 pounds, down to 173 from 180. I've been eating 1200-1300 and it was ok at the start, but my cravings are coming back so I'm thinking I'm going to up my calories so I don't quit. Just curious how many calories others are eating at this weight to lose. I know it will vary with activity level, but for a base? I saw the "eat more to lose more" group and I'm intrigued... How does that work?

Also, I calculated my protein at .8g / lb of body weight and I have to eat SO MUCH protein! Like, a pound of chicken per day, plus 2 eggs and a cheese stick. With a lower calorie diet, that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for anything else! Should I be eating that much protein?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Please post your stats
  • aerome
    Options
    I'm 173 at 5'6". Do you need any other info?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 170lbs, about 30% body fat. I maintain at just over 2000 calories with a desk job and no workouts. I eat at 1750 *net* to lose around .5lb/week. I eat back around 75% of my exercise calories. I shoot for around 100g of protein a day and have a protein shake for breakfast to help me get there.

When I'm eating 1750 cals/day I lose consistently without working out. When I'm working out regularly, I'm closer to 2100 calories per day and still lose consistently.
  • aerome
    Options
    I'm 5'9", 170lbs, about 30% body fat. I maintain at just over 2000 calories with a desk job and no workouts. I eat at 1750 *net* to lose around .5lb/week. I eat back around 75% of my exercise calories. I shoot for around 100g of protein a day and have a protein shake for breakfast to help me get there.

When I'm eating 1750 cals/day I lose consistently without working out. When I'm working out regularly, I'm closer to 2100 calories per day and still lose consistently.

Thanks! I think I'd do better mentally at 1750 cals. I plan on starting working out soon, but I wanted to get a good handle on my diet before I started. Trying to take it 1 step at a time so I don't get overwhelmed and give up.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm 5' 7-8" Currently at 170lbs Calories set at 0.5lb per week loss. I get to net about 1780. My activity is set at the lowest level because of the office job.

If you are hungry, try to find foods with high fiber contents, high micronutrient value but calorie value
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    aerome wrote: »

Goal weight and how much you set MFP to a week and activity level.

When I started MFP 3 years ago, I was 172 and 5'7".
    I did 1200 cals, 2lbs/week, sedentary. I ate so much frigging salad.

Pick 1lb/week instead, double check your activity level because it's doubtful you're actually sedentary, 0.8g/LBM is the protein level. Which since I'm guessing, would probably be about 90g of protein for you.

If you use MFP to calculate your exercise cals, I don't suggest eating more than half since they overestimate
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Calorie needs will definitely vary with the amount of physical activity you do. I am 5'7" and weigh 169.6. I average between 2100-2200 calories a day and lose about 1 lb a week. I do Strong Lifts 5x5 3 times a week and will either walk, do HIIT, yoga, or pilates on the other days.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Pick 1lb/week instead, double check your activity level because it's doubtful you're actually sedentary, 0.8g/LBM is the protein level. Which since I'm guessing, would probably be about 90g of protein for you.

If you use MFP to calculate your exercise cals, I don't suggest eating more than half since they overestimate

I have found that it does not. If there is an error, it's mostly in the food calorie calculations
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary and you're consistently eating significantly below your goal. You need to eat more food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

age, gender, and activity level ..
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

I have found that it does not. If there is an error, it's mostly in the food calorie calculations

I got an HRM shortly after starting BUT I was also really freaking dumb and didn't eat back my exercise calories. So OP, don't do that! Keep your muscle!

And as for logging, I rarely had an issue there since I compared about the USDA database (link: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list) or had the package in front of me.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I would say eating 1700-1800 cals a day and working out 3-4 times a week for at least 45 minutes. But that is me not knowing a lot about you. IIFYM
  • aerome
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

age, gender, and activity level ..

26, female, lightly active, goal weight is 130
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I try to aim between 1600-1750 a day. I'm trying to lose about .5 lbs a week. I am 5'10' 169lbs.
  • aerome
    Options
    slucki01 wrote: »
    I just looked at your diary and you're consistently eating significantly below your goal. You need to eat more food.

Sometimes I forget to log in dinner and don't go back to the previous day to add it in.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm 5'8", 30 years old, and lightly active (desk job but active hobbies). I eat about 2200 calories to maintain and about 1700 calories to lose about a pound a week. I aim for 100-120 grams of protein daily.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

I got an HRM shortly after starting BUT I was also really freaking dumb and didn't eat back my exercise calories. So OP, don't do that! Keep your muscle!

And as for logging, I rarely had an issue there since I compared about the USDA database (link: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list) or had the package in front of me.

I think most aren't measuring portions correctly
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 28 years old, female, and weighed 174.2lbs this morning. I eat 1650 calories a day.

You can definitely eat more than 1200-1300 calories.
  • aerome
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I've been trying to figure all this out on my own, but there's so much conflicting information.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    At 165 I have my diary set to not go over 1680, losing 1/2 week. I have 8lbs left. I typically do about 1550ish. Lost .8lbs last week with no exercise.