How many calories are you eating at 170 lbs? Eat more to lose more? How much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    The eat more to lose weight basically goes by your TDEE-15% and is all about not restricting yourself of calories. The more you move, the more you get eat. It's about not being afraid to eat while you're losing weight. Seriously great group. :flowerforyou:
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE-15%?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    aerome wrote: »
    What is TDEE-15%?

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure.
    It's the amount of calories your body burns throughout the day.
    It's typically calculated based off of an activity leve.
    Like mine, based off of lightly active is about 2200. So to lose weight, I'd subtract 15% of that for a total daily calorie goal of 1870 cals.

There are a bunch of websites people use to calculate it: iifym.com, fat2fitradio.com, etc.
    I don't think it matters what one you use as long as you're consistent with the one you use.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    I'm 173 at 5'6". Do you need any other info?

Goal weight and how much you set MFP to a week and activity level.

When I started MFP 3 years ago, I was 172 and 5'7".
    I did 1200 cals, 2lbs/week, sedentary. I ate so much frigging salad.

Pick 1lb/week instead, double check your activity level because it's doubtful you're actually sedentary, 0.8g/LBM is the protein level. Which since I'm guessing, would probably be about 90g of protein for you.

If you use MFP to calculate your exercise cals, I don't suggest eating more than half since they overestimate

I have found that it does not. If there is an error, it's mostly in the food calorie calculations

I got an HRM shortly after starting BUT I was also really freaking dumb and didn't eat back my exercise calories. So OP, don't do that! Keep your muscle!

And as for logging, I rarely had an issue there since I compared about the USDA database (link: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list) or had the package in front of me.

I think most aren't measuring portions correctly

I used a food scale, still do even though I don't log
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE-15%?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure...these would be your maintenance level of calories. You cut from that to lose weight.

Eat more to lose just means you don't have to starve...you can eat food and still lose weight. Basically you maintain a more reasonable energy deficit...the smaller your deficit is, the slower the losses will be...but generally more sustainable over longer periods of time because you're not starving.

Your cut really should depend largely on how much you have to lose.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    That group uses this page mostly to find out TDEE
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#top

I just put your stats in there and it says you can lose .6 lb/week by eating 1804 calories daily.

You'll find a better explanation of what TDEE is, why TDEE- 15% is chosen, etc. by reading the posts in the group. :)
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Aha! Thank you all so much! Seriously. <3
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Aha! Thank you all so much! Seriously. <3

No prob =]
    You're welcome to friend me if you want but I don't log food but I do post about my workouts and recipes I'm making lol