bulking friends!

Options

Replies

• devenfuentes
    devenfuentes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You know what I just thought, heck, why don't I trade out my mid-morning protein feed with the mass gainer? Duh. I blame my age. Getting ridgid and un-creative as I get older it seems.

I can mix that in a spring-shaker right?

Yeppers they're are shaker cup friendly. You just might have to shake a little longer than the usual whey protein haha
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    You could make a cheaper homemade gainer with pb, oats, banana and milk.
    That's a great idea - except, well, running a blender is a bit of a problem right now. The three of us are crammed into a 900 sq ft condo that will never sell apparently, and noise will wake my 4-year old.

All through the 90's I made shakes like that. Two three times a day. Aided in transforming me from a 145# skater when I graduated HS in '90 to a 185# guy with an average 12% bf when I got serious/(more) educated about training by 25. Only twist is that I added in yogurt and whole milk.

Convenience is crucial for me right now, but yeah, that's a great combo. Thank you.

I have a 4yo too. I hear ya!
    I hope, unlike my heir, your preschooler lets you sleep. I can't get my daughter to sleep, nor can I get her out of bed.

He goes to bed well (8pm) but then he's up at the crack of dawn. No sleeping in at my house.

I am lucky to get my daughter in bed sleeping before 11pm and I only sleep 5 hours a night on average.

Thankfully the gym is always open. Hello morning workout!
  • civilizedworm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You know what I just thought, heck, why don't I trade out my mid-morning protein feed with the mass gainer? Duh. I blame my age. Getting ridgid and un-creative as I get older it seems.

Yeppers they're are shaker cup friendly. You just might have to shake a little longer than the usual whey protein haha

Oh ha. I hope for not too much longer, then I'll have to make up for the extra calorie burn!
  • devenfuentes
    devenfuentes Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Oh ha. I hope for not too much longer, then I'll have to make up for the extra calorie burn!

Lol nice one
  • InfamousVillain
    InfamousVillain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Started bulking this week, be good to see what others are feasting on :D
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    For the last week or so, I had been under my target calorie goal by 150 calories. Well, today the food combinations and portions I had pushed my calorie count for today about 600-650 over maintenance. Granted, chips and cake played a big part in that. That brings my weekly average a lot closer to where I want, and not to mention today was one of my main workout days. :)
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    For the last week or so, I had been under my target calorie goal by 150 calories. Well, today the food combinations and portions I had pushed my calorie count for today about 600-650 over maintenance. Granted, chips and cake played a big part in that. That brings my weekly average a lot closer to where I want, and not to mention today was one of my main workout days. :)

Annnnnnnd now I want chips. And cake.
  • lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sent a request. Anyone who is bulking, please add me as a friend too. I'm up about 8 pounds in the past 8 weeks.
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the bulking world and just started my bulk about a week and a half ago! Would love some tips from you guys!
    that's awesome!! Bulking is a lot of fun! Waaaaaaaay funner than cutting. people get incredibly angry on a cut

Cutting is horrible, and not something I want to think about right now. I am hungry enough on my bulk as it is, and the thought of cutting down to 'maintenance' is quite depressing!
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I started my first bulk about a month ago. Never thought I would enjoy this so much.
  • Nolan1009
    Nolan1009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been on a bulk since Thanksgiving, love bulking through the holidays :D Up about 2-3 lbs but I think most of that is water/glycogen stores from my initial carb/calorie increase bc I've been stable-ish since then. Slowly creeping up a 1/2 lb over the past 2 weeks which is what I want :) All my lifts are way up and my pull-up count is up despite weighing more. That's my marker for muscle gains versus fat, if my bodyweight exercises improve while my weight goes up I must be doing something right :D Not sure how long I'm bulking for yet but I'm very happy with the results so far.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Nolan1009 wrote: »
    I've been on a bulk since Thanksgiving, love bulking through the holidays :D Up about 2-3 lbs but I think most of that is water/glycogen stores from my initial carb/calorie increase bc I've been stable-ish since then. Slowly creeping up a 1/2 lb over the past 2 weeks which is what I want :) All my lifts are way up and my pull-up count is up despite weighing more. That's my marker for muscle gains versus fat, if my bodyweight exercises improve while my weight goes up I must be doing something right :D Not sure how long I'm bulking for yet but I'm very happy with the results so far.
    Very cool!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

am so jealous of 'bulkers' right now you have no idea...cutting suxs so bad. period.
  • Nolan1009
    Options
    Thanks civilizedworm :). This is my first time actually being okay with my weight going up. I've wanted to build muscle before but was to afraid to eat enough plus I run competitively. I prob got some newb gains in the beginning cause I did add muscle while losing weight but have pretty much maintained since then. I'm recovering from running injury so taking advantage of the lack of cardio, enjoying my lifting/strength gains so much I'm not even looking forward to running again lol. TFaustino67- I think everyone should plan a bulk period during the holidays, it's amazing, no guilt just enjoy and know the extra calories are being put to good use :D
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Thanks civilizedworm :). This is my first time actually being okay with my weight going up. I've wanted to build muscle before but was to afraid to eat enough plus I run competitively. I prob got some newb gains in the beginning cause I did add muscle while losing weight but have pretty much maintained since then. I'm recovering from running injury so taking advantage of the lack of cardio, enjoying my lifting/strength gains so much I'm not even looking forward to running again lol.
    Hey sorry to hear about your injury, but look at you now, you are loving strength training, the gains you make, and the weekly PRs which keep you coming back for more. Hopefully you'll find a way to incorporate strength training once your hooves are healed.

Once winter settles in, I only run to the gym.
  • Nolan1009
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks, I still lift when I'm running but it's difficult to gain any strength (or muscle) at 60-80 mpw (I was running that much specifically to hit some lofty race PRs), I was mostly just maintaining what strength I had. But lifting is what helped me get much faster in the first place so it's always part of my training. I don't miss running right now, the only thing I miss is doing interval sprints on the treadmill, those give me the biggest endorphin rush :D When I get back to it I'm going to try and find a better balance between mileage and strength. For now though I'm very happy staying inside and having much greater intensity w/my lifts, today I found my squat depth has improved immensely without running making me all stiff lol
  • civilizedworm
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks, I still lift when I'm running but it's difficult to gain any strength (or muscle) at 60-80 mpw (I was running that much specifically to hit some lofty race PRs), I was mostly just maintaining what strength I had. But lifting is what helped me get much faster in the first place so it's always part of my training. I don't miss running right now, the only thing I miss is doing interval sprints on the treadmill, those give me the biggest endorphin rush :D When I get back to it I'm going to try and find a better balance between mileage and strength. For now though I'm very happy staying inside and having much greater intensity w/my lifts, today I found my squat depth has improved immensely without running making me all stiff lol
    It's all about balance isn't it? I'm not much of runner, but man does fitness keeps me happy.
  • civilizedworm
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well I did my numbers today and after roughly 6 to 8 weeks bulking I clock in at 200 lbs and 11.1% bf (Previously 196 lbs and 10.2% bf) of all American, Midwest-Bred, Corn-Fed, Male.

My GW is to hit 205 by the end of March and I guess this is a lean bulk.

Think I should tweak anything? Or full-speed ahead?
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    After 25+ years of constantly trying to lose weight, I *finally* get to gain on purpose! My first bulk! I am still working through how much to eat (avg is 2200 for awhile just to get used to eating more, then upping it prob after new years), and I plan on a minimum of 6 months. I want this to be slow so I dont chicken out, and am planning regular DEXA scans to keep my brain soothed that my body fat % isnt going to jump back up to 40 anytime soon :)

Whats really killing me is that the more I eat, the more energy I have and the more calories I naturally burn because I just cannot freaking sit down. I started running and all this food and carbs just make me itch to get on there and go! Every time I up my calories by 100, I burn 150 more that day I think just fidgeting!! FOOD=CALORIES=ENERGY -- my favorite math equation... I like energy :)
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have just had to scale back slightly from 2,400-2,500 plus eat-back calories for exercise, to 2,300 + exercise as gain was too fast, but hopefully things will settle now. I still do cardio, partly because it is a vital stress reliever for me & partly because it allows me to eat more. No idea what my BF is, but when it was measured a while back it was in the low 20's

I do have loads more energy since starting the bulk. Not seen as much progress with lifts as I would like, but it is early days. :-)