Pole Dancing?

Options
There's a pole dance studio in my neighborhood and I'm thinking of trying it. Has anyone done this. What should I expect the first time. I don't think I can hold myself up on a pole.

Replies

• TomInAiken
    TomInAiken Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One of my friends, Squidgeypaws007, is really into pole exercises. PM her and I'm sure you'll receive all the encouragement you want or need. --Tom
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get into it, I heard it was a great full body workout that was fun....the studio in my area charges A LOT so I never went (It was like $30 a class)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried, however we have an aerial yoga/pole fitness studio in town and they had a float in the Christmas parade. Pretty cool. Of course all the prude mom's lost their minds, even though it was a modest, family float and purely about fitness.
  • CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've taken the class love it. It's a great addition to the workout routine to keep away boredom and stay motivated. They start with very simple moves and as you continue through the stages they add more difficult moves.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've done a class or two a few years ago, and it was difficult. I was a student with no car and the studio was out of my way, so I stopped going. I was also a broke college student, lol.

It's a great full body workout. Give it a try, the worst that can happen is that you decide you don't like it.
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a studio that taught this in my area. Everyone around me laughs because I want to learn how to do this. Give us and update if you do take the class and let us know how it went.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    pole dancing is hot.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Slasher09 wrote: »
    I wanted to get into it, I heard it was a great full body workout that was fun....the studio in my area charges A LOT so I never went (It was like $30 a class)

They charge $30 a class?!? They are supposed to pay you to be on the pole (:
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My friend had one of those portable poles she could put up in her living room. It takes a TON of skill and muscle to do that stuff. I would totally give the class a try. Just go in there with an open mind and expect to be challenged!
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    cliffodom1 wrote: »

That was my first thought, if it was $30 per class, then it was a ´school´ to become a pole-dancer for money, not for exercise.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing is expensive because generally the classes are held specifically in pole studios. Any gym that is that specific is expensive. If you can afford it, go for it. Second, expect to be sore and bruised, but it is fun. I love pole fitness! My new gym has pole fitness twice a week and when I get a little stronger I'm going to start going to the classes again!
  • dbmata
    Options
    pole studio... anyone else get a giggle from that?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing is expensive because generally the classes are held specifically in pole studios. Any gym that is that specific is expensive. If you can afford it, go for it. Second, expect to be sore and bruised, but it is fun. I love pole fitness! My new gym has pole fitness twice a week and when I get a little stronger I'm going to start going to the classes again!

I haven't checked it out yet, but thanks for the feedback. I went to a Salsa dance class instead. ;-)
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to classes I actually got a professional quality pole (X-pole Expert) for my home so that I could learn at home. My arms were NEVER stronger than when I was doing pole work. And I've always had weak arms.
    And it's so much FUN!

My pole isn't up in my new condo but I'm thinking of puting it up in the new year.
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Tons of fun!

The first class might seem awkward (with all the butt circles and body waves) but just remember that no one is looking at you. They are all looking at themselves in the mirror, feeling equally awkward. Once you just let go and enjoy it will be so much more fun!

I decided to "try" it once and ended up sticking with it for several years and doing tons of awesome tricks. See if you can watch the end of an advanced class so you can see what there is to look forward to!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend pole! It's a great strength workout. It's painful - muscular pain, but also bruises, blisters, and abrasions, so be ready for that. It's also the most body-positive, empowering thing I've ever done!
  • Velum_cado
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    pole studio... anyone else get a giggle from that?

...What am I missing?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

laughs +1
  • Velum_cado
    Options

That was my first thought, if it was $30 per class, then it was a ´school´ to become a pole-dancer for money, not for exercise.

By "pole dancer for money" I can only assume you mean professional polers like Bendy Kate, Dan Rosen, and Jenyne Butterfly. I highly recommend YouTubing those names, btw.
  • dbmata
    Options
    naw, Peter meant professionals like Bambi, and Echo.