1200 calorie meal plan for road trip?

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    603reader wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why do people keep recommending McDonald's?

I mean, sure, eat it occasionally if you like it. But if you don't like fast food, why not just pack food in the car?

Because a big mac meal is like 1150 calories, nails the 1200 calories per day requirement super simple.

Yeah but she'd be hungry for most of the day if one Big Mac meal is all she could have. Better to space out the 1200 calories over the course of the day. IMO

It's too few calories for almost everyone - especially a 22yo female. Unless she's like 4'9" or in a wheelchair.

Actually not really. I don't know who this person is or what her circumstances are, but I'm 5'3" and 175 lbs and 49 years old and to lose just 1 lb a week I have to net around 1300. And that's at a high weight. If (when!) I get down to say, 150, still 20 lbs from my goal weight, I'll have to net 1200.

And you are more than twice her age.

And by the time you are 20 lbs from goal weight, you shouldn't still have your goal set to lose 1 lb per week...it should be .5 lbs by then.

1250 then
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Get a different husband.. jk
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    1200 calories is not too low for everyone.

That is true. If OP was 4' tall and weighed 100 lbs, that would be a good goal.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    edited December 2014
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Actually not really. I don't know who this person is or what her circumstances are, but I'm 5'3" and 175 lbs and 49 years old and to lose just 1 lb a week I have to net around 1300. And that's at a high weight. If (when!) I get down to say, 150, still 20 lbs from my goal weight, I'll have to net 1200.

Unless you have thyroid problems or some other similar condition that affects your metabolism, your BMR should be around 1400-1500 kcal / day, and even if you did nothing more than slept for 8 hours and then sat and watched TV for 16 hours before going back to bed again you'd burn around 2000 kcal / day.

1300 kcal sounds low to me. I'd bump it up to at least 1500 and see what happens.

For the OP, 1200 kcal is ridiculous. You could eat almost twice that and still lose weight unless you are completely sedentary 24/7.

I didn't pick these numbers out of the blue. I've been doing this for awhile and this is what works for me. I've already lost about 75 lbs without starving myself so I think I'm doing it right. No thyroid problems -- my only problem is 20 years of obesity plus middle age. I have a desk job so I'm considered sedentary. I get up at 5am every day to exercise so I can eat a little more. In order to lose weight I have to net about 1300. I'm currently allowing myself about 1600 cals through the holidays. I have unbelievable amounts of stress in my life right now and I wanted to give myself "permission" to eat a little more without the guilt. After the new year it's back to 1300. It's ok. I'm not complaining. I'm just addressing what the previous poster said about 1200 being too low for just about everybody. It's really not too low for many people -- my stats aren't that special.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

I mean, sure, eat it occasionally if you like it. But if you don't like fast food, why not just pack food in the car?

Because a big mac meal is like 1150 calories, nails the 1200 calories per day requirement super simple.

Yeah but she'd be hungry for most of the day if one Big Mac meal is all she could have. Better to space out the 1200 calories over the course of the day. IMO

It's too few calories for almost everyone - especially a 22yo female. Unless she's like 4'9" or in a wheelchair.

Aren't you a bariatric patient?

Lap band
    You're an outlier then, and no indicative of any norm.

Not as a slight, but the reality is that you are altered, and now have different nutritional rules than the rest of us. What works for you may not work for others.
  • 0somuchbetter0

Lap band
    You're an outlier then, and no indicative of any norm.

Not as a slight, but the reality is that you are altered, and now have different nutritional rules than the rest of us. What works for you may not work for others.

Nope. Lap band is not the same as bariatric. My digestive system has not been altered in any way. I still absorb every nutrient and every calorie the way I did before. Don't take my word for it -- look it up.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Lap band surgery is a bariatric procedure.

You are altered. You have a medical device that was surgically placed inside you, that is restricting what you can intake. Due to this device, you have different nutritional rules than the rest of us. What work for you may not work others who are not altered.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Actually really.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    There's lots of Subway 6" subs that are 2-300 cals. They're my goto fast food.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Lap band surgery is a bariatric procedure.

You are altered. You have a medical device that was surgically placed inside you, that is restricting what you can intake. Due to this device, you have different nutritional rules than the rest of us. What work for you may not work others who are not altered.

With all due respect, unless you're a bariatric surgeon, I think I know the difference between my nutritional and caloric needs as a lap band patient versus those of a gastric bypass patient or gastric sleeve patient, etc. better than you do. I researched the different procedures for a year before I made my decision. The only restriction I have is physical - my physiology is no different than before the surgery. I'm not going to discuss this further.

Back to my point: regardless of whether someone has had lap band surgery or not, 1200 calories is not too low for many many people.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    1200 isn't too low for me! In fact, it's right about maintenance. 5'2" 260 pounds, 44yrs old woman. Log, weigh everything, wear a FitBit and keep track of it all. Some people are just slower burners than others.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

sounds boring ..

better to get it all in, in one shot …

just like the song "hit me with your best shot…"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Lap band

And you don't think (aside from the age difference) that THAT was a vital piece of info to include or at least one that should have made you realize the difference in your nutritional needs?
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    edited December 2014
    hard boiled eggs, protein shakes, chicken and rice (yes, cold), fruit, and raw veggies, granola, protein bars. It's not too hard. :) When you're sitting down all day long, you really don't need a ton of calories. I usually only burn 2K the days I'm sitting all day on our roadtrips.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    1200 isn't too low for me! In fact, it's right about maintenance. 5'2" 260 pounds, 44yrs old woman. Log, weigh everything, wear a FitBit and keep track of it all. Some people are just slower burners than others.

I am 5'2, 45 yrs old and 115 pounds, I lose weight eating between 1600-1900 calories depending on exercises. Now maintaining eating 2300-2600 calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »

I am 5'2, 45 yrs old and 115 pounds, I lose weight eating between 1600-1900 calories depending on exercises. Now maintaining eating 2300-2600 calories.
    How nice for you.

Thank you for sharing that with all of us who have to eat less. It is so helpful.
  • PikaKnight
    edited December 2014
    Kalikel wrote: »

How nice for you.

Thank you for sharing that with all of us who have to eat less. It is so helpful.

Ummm...it provides perspective, especially seeing as the OP is a 22 year old with not much to lose so yes, it is pretty helpful. Hopefully people won't get oversensitive about it.

• 1200 isn't too low for losing, thats what is recommended I thought?
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member

Everyone is different. Congrats on your achievements and continued success!
  • PikaKnight
    1200 isn't too low for losing, thats what is recommended I thought?

According to your profile, you have 5lbs to go. What did you set the loss per week at and what did you put your activity level at?

Are you also eating back exercise calories?