people who DO NOT east back their exercise calories---

Options

Replies

• AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    I don't concentrate on eating them back. Developing calorie fixations like that can be unhealthy.

Eat when you're hungry and log it.

It usually works out. Your body is smarter than MFP :)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i normally eat about half back, mainly because ive seen that MFP overestimates calories burned, and i dont have a HRM nor do i want to invest in one. Ive lost a total of about 20 pounds since jan first, but didnt start using mfp till the end of jan...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I eat back most, I usually net around 1000 ish. I get too hungry otherwise. It was ok for the first few weeks, but now, I need those extra calories.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Not eating back calories worked for me up until I went below 200lbs. I was stuck at 197 for the longest time :-/ Came here read about eating back exercise calories and decided to try it, the scale finally started to move again, very slowly but its moving! My daily calories change according to how much fat I have to lose, i make sure to adjust every few pounds I lose.
  • maryh1974
    maryh1974 Posts: 41
    Options
    I eat most of them back , I don't want my body to go in starvation mode..and also don't want to lose all the energy I have
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back my exercise calories. My trainer said doing so defeats one of the benefits/purpose of exercising...burning more calories than you consume. I am doing just fine, losing from 1.5-2.6lbs per week. I just had my check up with my doctor and he said I am doing just fine and agrees with the no eating back the calories.
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had my meeting with my personal trainer yesterday and he has suggested I up my calories to 1800/day and eat that everyday even if i am not exercising. Therefore on a day when I do exercise (at least 5 days a week) my net will be around 1300 cals for that day but on the 2 days where I don't exercise my cals will be 1800 net. I trust him completely, I have lost 20 lbs since Jan 1st and all the advice and routines he has set for me have worked great!!
  • TurtlesRule
    TurtlesRule Posts: 53
    Options
    I used to eat them the second I stopped BAM! The lbs dropped like a sack of potatoes to each his(or her) own :happy:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    It has no signifigance in my intake. I try to stay between 1200 and 1500 calories, irregardless of my exercise calories.
  • maillekelly
    maillekelly Posts: 132
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, I think I'll see how it goes with not eating them. I am listening to my body, and I am never hungry! If my tummy was rumbling i'd probably sway more towards eating them up, but right now I feel fine, I'll see what the scales say tomorrow, if I have maintained again, I will try and eat them back x
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I work out just so I can eat more lol.

Me too! ;-)
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My trainer said doing so defeats one of the benefits/purpose of exercising...burning more calories than you consume.

The problem with this statement is that MFP *already* includes a deficit in its calculations. For me, since I'm trying to lose 1lb a week, that deficit is about 490 calories a week right now. Eating back your exercise calories would only cancel out the exercise if you had your goals set to maintain instead of lose.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't eat them back -- that's up to you. I just think the math needs to be clarified.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I did not eat them back and I lost weight. I got down to 138lbs (total loss of 62lbs) and once I hit that and started to lift weights and I was still not eating back my calories. I ended up gaining weight (I am now at about 153lbs) and I am now having a really hard time getting back to 138lb even now that I am eating them back. So annoying that I did not listen to people on here in he begining.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I had my meeting with my personal trainer yesterday and he has suggested I up my calories to 1800/day and eat that everyday even if i am not exercising. Therefore on a day when I do exercise (at least 5 days a week) my net will be around 1300 cals for that day but on the 2 days where I don't exercise my cals will be 1800 net. I trust him completely, I have lost 20 lbs since Jan 1st and all the advice and routines he has set for me have worked great!!

how did he come to the conclusion that you needed 1800 calories a day?
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them and I lose slowly. If I ate them I would gain slowly. But then my metabolism is ****ed anyway.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I generally do not eat them back. I try to stay around my goal calories and then if I exercise and I feel famished, I might go into that extra reserve of calories (and sometimes over), but most the time I try to stick with my 1250. I have lost 29lbs since December, and it seems to work for me. My doctors and nutritionist agree that I am doing fine and not to worry about the deficit number I see on here, rather worry about my lab results and getting enough protein and iron. So that is what I focus on. Sometimes my MFP friends will caution me about the calories, but it's just a different school of thought from what is stressed her.

The biggest thing is that each person is different and what works for some, wont work for others. If you try it and you don't lose, then try it the other way. Good luck!
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'll eat them back only if I'm very hungry- usually will eat about 25% of them on average, just seems to work for me that way....see what works for you.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I always eat them back to maintain muscle mass. You can get away without eating them, just don't expect to be a star athlete ;)
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It depends on your end goal. I think you need to look at where you are in your weight loss. Are you healthy already? According to your post ...for 5'8"..and you are already in the healthy range. If you want to get to the bottom of your healthy range you will want to just excercise and eat well making sure you are maintaining 1200 NET. Going below will begin to sabotage not only your metabolism but your overall health. Just to make sure that you are REALLY thinking about what you want to accomplish-115 lbs for 5ft 8 in will put you in the underweight category with a BMI of just over 17.5 (under 20 is considered Unhealthy).
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

how did he come to the conclusion that you needed 1800 calories a day?

My weight 158 lbs, height 5'8' and the amount I workout, he thinks 1200 cals a day is way to low for most women