• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Birdy989 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    Well, I'm going to be the opposing viewpoint on here. A friend turned me onto Thermoxyn about 2 weeks ago, and I love it! I have been doing cardio and some strength training and eating super clean (mostly Paleo) according to my calories and macros. But I have a SUPER SLOW and broken metabolism due to years of VLC and starvation dieting. I had hit a plateau, and couldn't seem to muster up the energy in my dark, cold climate (I live in northern MI). He's a bodybuilder, and when I asked him about something legitimate that could help rev up my metabolism and keep me focused on the long-term goal without giving into winter/holiday cravings, he recommended Thermoxyn. He had beta tested it himself with good results. The stuff has been a life saver for me. It works! I dropped about 4 lbs in the last 2 weeks (which is a lot for me) and I have an incredible amount of energy and my cravings for pasta, sweets and other bad carbs went completely away. I also feel warmer, and love the little boost of "awakeness" it gives me in the morning. No, there is no magic pill out there. But sometimes these supplements can give the right boost in the right way at the right time if we use them correctly.

Just sayin'...

Are you seriously offering advise based on 2 weeks of a magic pill? I can fluctuate 4lbs from one day to the next.

So how do you know you have a "SUPER SLOW" metabolism? I thought I had a super slow metabolism too until I got off my butt and did something about it. Following the MFP plan by carefully tracking every single thing that passes through your lips (Weighing and Measuring and Logging) is the key. We have no idea what that crap may be doing to your liver.

I'm not offering advice (not sure where you saw me do that). I just said that I loved the way I felt while taking it. I also didn't specifically say that it was the garcinia cambogia that was working for me -- it very well could just be the uptick in caffeine from the pills.

And, I DO know I have a super slow metabolism. I started my journey back in the spring of 2013 when I did the 100 Day Real Food Challenge (no processed foods) and began hiking/running on the local trails. I barely had any change in body composition and only lost about 5 lbs that entire summer. I needed to lose a good 45 lbs. I gained the 5 lbs back over that winter of 2013, and so then this past May I started it up again. No franken foods, and a commitment to go out on the trails at least 3 times a week. Again, after 5 months, I only lost 5 lbs. It takes FOREVER for me to lose a lb. I don't fluctuate up and down 5 lbs like most people. I weigh myself every day, and every day it's the same. I might have a fluctuation of a half lb, and a couple of times here and there I've gone up/down a pound, but I consistently have stayed at the same weight. So for me to lose 4 lbs in 2 weeks when it's taken me 5 months to lose 5 lbs, I'm thrilled. But like I said, I just liked the way I felt. I had no traces of sluggishness or brain fog whatsoever, and it pushed me to move from simply jogging to actual running. I'm not suggesting anyone else take it, nor am I offering advice that others should. I just answered the OP's question honestly. And if I'm the only single person in the universe who's had a positive response to supplements like this, then hey... that's totally okay with me. :)

(edited to add: And I can't imagine it's harming my liver any more than all the tons of alcohol I drank in my 20s. ;) I also want to say that I don't plan on taking this long-term. Just for a month or two in order to get me through these short, dark cold days of winter. If it helps keep me active and moving, then I'm happy with it. Again, it could very well be the placebo effect, but does that really matter?)

Apparently, you are the only person in the universe that does not lose weight with a calorie deficit..

Unless of course you were not tracking, weighing, logging everything that you ate; in that case, you were probably in a calorie surplus which is why no loss.

Also, it does not matter how much you hiked or that you ate no "franken foods" (whatever those are)...you can't out train a calorie surplus...

Yes, to take the whole calorie deficit issue off the table, the problem was I wasn't eating enough. For a whole year (before I found MFP and, really, well before that) I went on a super low-carb starvation diet of 1,000 calories a day. Often times I'd eat only one meal a day. Of course, I'd get hungry after a couple of weeks and binge like crazy. But then I'd go right back to it. After finding MFP, I've been staying consistently between 1300-1400 calories. I eat very clean, and although sometimes I tend to fall way short because I can't get out of the mind-set that not eating = losing weight, I've been able to stick to that 1400 calorie mark for the most part. My body just does not let go of the weight easily. When it does, it's a very, very slow process. Some people ARE metabolically challenged, especially if they've had starvation/bingeing eating disorders.

If that's true then you should see a doctor. The only people with "slow" metabolism like that are those with medical conditions, such as PCOS or hypothyroidism. You may have something which can be addressed easily with medication, or you may have something potentially dangerous which needs attention.

Barring medical conditions which affect metabolism, it is not possible to consistently average 1400 calories per day and not lose weight unless you are extremely short and small (ie. a dwarf) and/or extremely sedentary. It is, however, entirely possible to eat 1400 or even 1000 calories per day for several days and then binge to the point that your average calories meets or exceeds your TDEE, causing stalls or even gains.
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't work. I was working in affiliate marketing, this is just a ploy for people to sell it to make money, kinda like a pyramid scheme. It doesn't work, just like acai berry was so hyped for the last 5 years.
  • texasmom2013
    texasmom2013 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking this Yogi brand tea called Healthy Fasting. It contains some garcinia cambogia. It seems to stop me from feeling hungry. I drink it once a day first thing in the morning. It probably doesn't contain much of it. It's one of many ingredients. Then I eat healthy and exercise the rest of the day. I don't seem to crave sweets quite so much. I lost 4 pounds this week.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have been drinking this Yogi brand tea called Healthy Fasting. It contains some garcinia cambogia. It seems to stop me from feeling hungry. I drink it once a day first thing in the morning. It probably doesn't contain much of it. It's one of many ingredients. Then I eat healthy and exercise the rest of the day. I don't seem to crave sweets quite so much. I lost 4 pounds this week.

I'm afraid you mostly lost water, not body fat. Think about it : a pound of fat is 3500 calories. In order to lose a pound of fat, you have to eat 3500 calories less than you burn. In order to lose that pound in one week, you would need to spread that 3500 calories out over 7 days. 3500/7 =500. So you will need to eat at a 500 calorie deficit each day for 7 days to lose a pound of fat.

To lose 4 pounds? That would require a 2000 calorie deficit each day. I don't know about you, but my maintenance is right at 2000, so to lose 4 pounds in a week, I would have to eat absolutely nothing the whole week. If you're grossly obese, it might be possible, but we're talking about 400 lbs or more.

This is why it's mathematically impossible to lose 4 pounds in a week, unless it's water.

• ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Why are people afraid to put in the hard work to lose? There is no quick and easy solution to weight loss. A change in diet (exercise helps too) is really all you need.

Change your eating habits (and stick with it) and you will lose the weight. It's pretty simple. There are no miracle pills, plants or fruits that will do the work for you.

• ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Why are people afraid to put in the hard work to lose? There is no quick and easy solution to weight loss. A change in diet (exercise helps too) is really all you need.

Change your eating habits (and stick with it) and you will lose the weight. It's pretty simple. There are no miracle pills, plants or fruits that will do the work for you.

Yes, and people need to understand that it will take time. You can't eat healthy for a month and lose 100 lbs. It will take some time. Just stick to it. Make it a routine and give it a year... you'll see the results.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    Well, I'm going to be the opposing viewpoint on here. A friend turned me onto Thermoxyn about 2 weeks ago, and I love it! I have been doing cardio and some strength training and eating super clean (mostly Paleo) according to my calories and macros. But I have a SUPER SLOW and broken metabolism due to years of VLC and starvation dieting. I had hit a plateau, and couldn't seem to muster up the energy in my dark, cold climate (I live in northern MI). He's a bodybuilder, and when I asked him about something legitimate that could help rev up my metabolism and keep me focused on the long-term goal without giving into winter/holiday cravings, he recommended Thermoxyn. He had beta tested it himself with good results. The stuff has been a life saver for me. It works! I dropped about 4 lbs in the last 2 weeks (which is a lot for me) and I have an incredible amount of energy and my cravings for pasta, sweets and other bad carbs went completely away. I also feel warmer, and love the little boost of "awakeness" it gives me in the morning. No, there is no magic pill out there. But sometimes these supplements can give the right boost in the right way at the right time if we use them correctly.

Just sayin'...

Are you seriously offering advise based on 2 weeks of a magic pill? I can fluctuate 4lbs from one day to the next.

So how do you know you have a "SUPER SLOW" metabolism? I thought I had a super slow metabolism too until I got off my butt and did something about it. Following the MFP plan by carefully tracking every single thing that passes through your lips (Weighing and Measuring and Logging) is the key. We have no idea what that crap may be doing to your liver.

I'm not offering advice (not sure where you saw me do that). I just said that I loved the way I felt while taking it. I also didn't specifically say that it was the garcinia cambogia that was working for me -- it very well could just be the uptick in caffeine from the pills.

And, I DO know I have a super slow metabolism. I started my journey back in the spring of 2013 when I did the 100 Day Real Food Challenge (no processed foods) and began hiking/running on the local trails. I barely had any change in body composition and only lost about 5 lbs that entire summer. I needed to lose a good 45 lbs. I gained the 5 lbs back over that winter of 2013, and so then this past May I started it up again. No franken foods, and a commitment to go out on the trails at least 3 times a week. Again, after 5 months, I only lost 5 lbs. It takes FOREVER for me to lose a lb. I don't fluctuate up and down 5 lbs like most people. I weigh myself every day, and every day it's the same. I might have a fluctuation of a half lb, and a couple of times here and there I've gone up/down a pound, but I consistently have stayed at the same weight. So for me to lose 4 lbs in 2 weeks when it's taken me 5 months to lose 5 lbs, I'm thrilled. But like I said, I just liked the way I felt. I had no traces of sluggishness or brain fog whatsoever, and it pushed me to move from simply jogging to actual running. I'm not suggesting anyone else take it, nor am I offering advice that others should. I just answered the OP's question honestly. And if I'm the only single person in the universe who's had a positive response to supplements like this, then hey... that's totally okay with me. :)

(edited to add: And I can't imagine it's harming my liver any more than all the tons of alcohol I drank in my 20s. ;) I also want to say that I don't plan on taking this long-term. Just for a month or two in order to get me through these short, dark cold days of winter. If it helps keep me active and moving, then I'm happy with it. Again, it could very well be the placebo effect, but does that really matter?)

Apparently, you are the only person in the universe that does not lose weight with a calorie deficit..

Unless of course you were not tracking, weighing, logging everything that you ate; in that case, you were probably in a calorie surplus which is why no loss.

Also, it does not matter how much you hiked or that you ate no "franken foods" (whatever those are)...you can't out train a calorie surplus...

Yes, to take the whole calorie deficit issue off the table, the problem was I wasn't eating enough. For a whole year (before I found MFP and, really, well before that) I went on a super low-carb starvation diet of 1,000 calories a day. Often times I'd eat only one meal a day. Of course, I'd get hungry after a couple of weeks and binge like crazy. But then I'd go right back to it. After finding MFP, I've been staying consistently between 1300-1400 calories. I eat very clean, and although sometimes I tend to fall way short because I can't get out of the mind-set that not eating = losing weight, I've been able to stick to that 1400 calorie mark for the most part. My body just does not let go of the weight easily. When it does, it's a very, very slow process. Some people ARE metabolically challenged, especially if they've had starvation/bingeing eating disorders.

I think you should sit back and try to have a little perspective. Changes are you are not an outlier that has a super slow metabolism that sets you apart from the rest of us (or most of us). I totally understand - when you are at the height of frustation with weight loss it can seem that way but every dieter has felt this way at some point.

Also, going on a low calorie diet for a year, while not ideal, is probably not something that means you have screwed things up for the rest of your life. For the majority of us, losing weight is challenging and our progress is also often very, very slow (a *kitten*, I know but it is what it is). However, it is progress and this is what is important along with knowing that there will be good weeks and not so good weeks. This is more of a "I guess I`m in the same boat as everyone else and need to diet and exercise and worst of all be patient` situation. Unless you receive a specific diagnosis with a specific solution offered (by a doctor not `dude from gym`), I would stick with the diet and exercise route since weight loss supplement or drug boosts will lead to, at best, a waste of money or, at worst, a deterimental health effect.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This thread highlights why I find MFP so maddening, particularly when it comes to discussions involving nutrition. There was very little helpful advice here. While I agree that most pills do not do what their manufacturers claim, I also do not believe that the medical profession and "science" have all the slam-dunk answers. I have seen too many cases where people have accomplished good things nutritionally and physically while flying in the face of conventional medical and scientific "wisdom". It is difficult to read an article on anything that does not get contradicted or refuted a relatively short time later by yet another scientific or medical journal. Things that were true six months ago are no longer true today, but might be again next year. About the only thing I find to be reliable is the way my body reacts to eating a certain way or doing certain types of exercises.

The thing that I find to be one of the most un-helpful things on MFP (and seems to be all the rage) is the concept that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as it is at a calorie deficit. And yeah, I get the idea and technically it is true. If you eat less than you burn you will lose weight. But that does not mean you will be healthy. Telling people that eating Oreos is just as good as eating a baked sweet potato and a salad is just horrid advice. Can you lose weight by just eating Oreos and Big Macs as long as you are at a deficit? Sure. Will you feel awesome? Healthy? Strong? Energetic? No. Again, technically fuel is fuel, but there is a reason I don't put kerosene in my Corvette.

I don't have a problem with people preaching the "calorie deficit" gospel, but I think it needs to go hand in hand with encouraging better eating habits. If profile pics are to be believed, then a majority of the "calorie deficit" people are not chowing Twinkies and McDonald's as their main dietary base. Occasionally indulge? Sure... why not? But I don't think people who have little experience achieving fitness and are wanting to lose weight should be led to believe they can eat whatever they want and achieve optimal health and fitness as long as they are in deficit.

Why does everyone jump to the strawman extreme of saying those of us that say you can eat oreos, McDonald's, twinkies, etc.... in MODERATION go to the "eat it all day", "you're entire diet" card. Why does it always need to be an extreme?

You actually advocate for what everyone else is saying in this line.
    Occasionally indulge? Sure... why not?

That is what all these "calorie deficit" people say.

Calorie Deficit for weight loss.

Meeting nutritional goals for health.
  • Karbum
    Karbum Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am not up for a debate, I just want to share my experience with the person who asked for honest feedback.

I am very close with a family who owns an organic health food store. They are family owned, so they take their reputation seriously and try not to give misleading information.

I discussed Garcinia with them in length before purchasing it. I made sure it was the correct amounts and had no crappy GMO fillers etc… People bodies react differently to different supplements. What might work for you, won’t work for me.

I don’t think it allows you to eat whatever you want. I don’t think it melts fat away as advertised, however, I can say with complete %100 confidence when taking them, I feel significantly less hungry! My appetite truly feels supressed.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So are you going to take them for the rest of your life to control hunger? Or are you going to learn to manage hunger on your own eventually? Just curious of your plan.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!