What to cut out. An explanation please.

Options
Someone did explain this in a post of mine, but I cannot find it.

Can someone please explain in simplest terms that a beginner can understand, to lose weight, what do I need to cut out or keep low? Is it sugars, saturated fats and carbs? I spoke to a barista briefly at Costa Coffee yesterday who is also a personal trainer. Im sure he said sugars, saturated fats and carbs. He also said that I dont really need to worry about calories as long as the others are low.
An explanation in simplest terms would be appreciated.

Also the sorts of foods I need to eat and avoid.

Thanks

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    None... just eat at a calorie deficit.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I would recommend the opposite of what your barista said. Cut back calories for weight loss. You don't need to cut out sugar and carbs or saturated fat unless you have a medical need to do so. Use a calculator like scooby or IIFYM to figure out a reasonable deficit and macro split.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

You don't need to cut out any foods, unless there's a medical reason (or lifestyle choice, such as not eating meat, etc.).

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. As long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight.

I encourage you to read the stickied posts in the forums. There's lots of great information to be had from those.

On a side note, I really wouldn't take advice from some random barista in a coffee shop, who just happens to be a personal trainer. Personal trainers are also not registered dieticians, and as such, are not necessarily qualified to give nutrition advice.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calories (the amount) do matter. If you're eating healthy foods that amount to more than you burn, you'll still gain weight. You only NEED to cut foods out if they're for medical reasons or trigger a binge.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    if you're using MyFitnessPal....counting calories is where it's at. You can eat what you like and what tastes good to you, if you're following portion control and counting your calories. Personal trainers may know a lot about working your bodies, but they don't alway know much or anything about feeding them....they seem to spout a lot of bro-science.
    That said...while you can lose weight by counting calories and eating junky food....you will do yourself a favor if you also pay attention to nutrition. No fancy fad foods....sensible healthy eating. The stuff you already know....fruits and veggies are good for you. Closer to nature is probably healthier. Processed is probably not such a good choice. But don't become such a purist that you don't enjoy what you're eating. Be willing to try things you haven't tried before, or cook things a new way...you'll find healthy foods are interesting and delicious!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just use My Fitness Pal to see how many calories to eat each day. Then, try to stay within that amount. If you want, you can try to stay within the right percentages MFP gives you for fats, sodium, protein, carbs, etc. But, that isn't absolutely necessary to lose. Neither is exercise. You can still lose if you just eat the right amount of calories. Sticking to the right percentages and exercise are more for improving your health than your weight. So, start by seeing how many calories MFP says to eat, and then try to stick to that.
  • cpereyra831
    cpereyra831 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree calorie deficit is the way to go. Portion control is the key. I avoid pizza not because is bad for me but because it is very tempting for me and I tend to overeat. Decide what you are going to eat AND record the number of calories before you consume them. It helps you decide whether you want to REALLY have that piece of pie or not.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    First off, you do not HAVE to cut anything out. I just want to make that really clear. Behaviourally, feelings of deprivation are often a cause of lapsed diets. If you really want it, eat a bit.

One of the popular ways to lose weight without reducing the quantity of food you eat is to maximize high nutrient/ low calorie foods like fruit, veggies, lean protein, and minimize low nutrient/high calorie foods that contain few essential nutrients per calorie. An example would be to eat an apple over an equal amount of calories of table sugar, both because the apple will help you feel fuller, and it contains a lot of benefits (fibre, vitamins, minerals) that the sugar doesn't.

As long as you keep your calorie intake lower than your output, you will lose weight, regardless of what you eat.

If you are interested in making sure you get adequate nutrition and want to feel less hungry, fruits and vegetables and lean protein will be helpful, and processed foods that are low in nutrients and high in calories, while they won't necessarily derail you, waste calories with no real physical benefit to you.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    This
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're here because you've chosen MFP as the way to lose weight, nothing. Just cut back. Eat less, move more.
    Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you have other health goals, then the answer may be a tad different.
  • stevew_68
    stevew_68 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thats fantastic. Thank you to you all. Thats made it a lot easier to understand. The way I see it, for myself, just going off this week alone, I have been working at a deficit every day BUT I have not had the exercise to go with it, for medical reasons, which I am trying to build up.
    On that note, as I am nearly always on a deficit, is it worth adjusting my target to a lower amount of calories. I keep getting the message that I have not used enough calories, when I finalise everything at night.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

/thread
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs eating everything I love but just at a calorie deficit! If you cut things out then it's not sustainable. Just eat real foods in moderation - and I can't stress this enough... WEIGH AND MEASURE EVERY BITE THAT GOES INTO YOUR MOUTH - then log it on MFP!
    Best of luck! You can do this
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    you only get that message if you are below 1200 calories, you should not have a deficit below that
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I cut out eating whatever I want, whenever I want. That's it, really.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    stevew_68 wrote: »
    I keep getting the message that I have not used enough calories, when I finalise everything at night.
    You should really address this. There is no reason you should ever be getting this message, unless it's an off day due to illness etc. or unless you have been medically directed by your doctor to eat that little.

That being said, weigh your foods on a food scale to ensure you're not eating more than you think.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Processed food, all that is ready...sugar, bread, bubbles, beer, or at least try less. I lost 100lbs in 3 years, maintaining now for a year by eating 1800 a day.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    In the absence of a medical condition, you do NOT need to specifically cut out (or down) any particular food, food group, or macronutrient. Pay attention to overall calories & eat at a (reasonable, sustainable) deficit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    JGonzo82 wrote: »
    In the absence of a medical condition, you do NOT need to specifically cut out (or down) any particular food, food group, or macronutrient. Pay attention to overall calories & eat at a (reasonable, sustainable) deficit.

All this ^^^^
    Reiterating the bold bit - you don't have to starve to lose weight.