Concealed Carriers

Options
Mediocrates55
Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
Not sure how this is going to go over, but it's a legit question and I'd like some input!

I'm in Texas and I have my concealed carry permit. I carry daily, all day, on body. I refuse to carry in a purse; I just don't think it's safe or controlled that way. Personal opinion. Anyway.

Has anyone else carrying concealed had issues after losing weight? I used to carry strong side 3:00 when there was more of me, but I dropped from a 10 to a 4 in pants and all of a sudden my little compact is clear as day. Switched around today and carried weak side appendix cross draw and suddenly the belly I've worked so hard to tone is back, or so it appears.

I'm being vain. I worked hard to get where I am and though I want to show it off a bit. Any other carry position suggestions that might disguise the bulk a little better? Or holster suggestions to minimize the bulk? I currently carry with an Ava holster and it's certainly not a small piece but it offers great security.

Replies

• al142
    al142 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This might help: http://www.30calgal.com/how-can-women-conceal-carry-let-me-count-the-ways/ It even mentions your Ava holster. There are also youtube videos that show how to conceal with different types of close fitting clothes.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Smaller gun?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I don't care a handgun,but have many women friends who do. They generally plan the positioning of the holder with a style of garment that conceals it. Some carry a very small hand gun tucked in their boots... and a lot carry a small cross body bag that they wear at all times. Others have a pocket put inside their blazer/blue jean jacket,etc to carry it in at all times. I have several friends that are driving non stop for jobs in the oil field or construction that don't bother to hide it and wear it in a holster under next to their rib case under the non dominant arm.
  • NowyTends
    NowyTends Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    raysputin wrote: »
    Move to Australia. You've got more chance of winning lotto than getting involved in firearm violence.

This!

Sorry, I have no advice. I am Australian haha, I don't feel the need to carry a gun here.

Yep, shootings are rare..(ignoring the last month...) We prefer to play knifey spoony here!

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    perhaps you could try carrying SOB or appendix with a smaller firearm?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    smaller piece.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas also (Dallas) so I appreciate another gun owner. You didn't say what your firearm was. Maybe it's time to buy another gun that's a little more compact to fit your new leaner-meaner figure. :)
    And like someone else posted: These are some great ideas.
    30calgal.com/how-can-women-conceal-carry-let-me-count-the-ways/
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    buy a smaller gun. I used to carry a 9mm but now just a 22
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You know if you're just carrying it for personal protection, sometimes "accidentally" showing you are carrying is better completely hiding it
  • stardustgrrrl42
    Options
    I've used both Remora holsters and Crossbreed leather/kydex hybrid holsters for my Sig P238. Both worked quite well for hiding any printing.

I'd also suggest checking out some of the videos from female concealed carry YouTubers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMrsAuthority
  • CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    A smaller piece maybe. I've worn these before and they did a pretty good job.
    my25v6jvezno.jpg
  • Mediocrates55
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I've carried a .380 for a couple years now and was actually looking at moving up to a 9mm -possibly the RugerLC9. It's a bit more compact than what I carry now. Really like the Kimber Compact II but WOW pricetag.

I wonder if I worry about it too much. We run a statewide firearms group and one of the questions we get most often is about printing (being able to see the bulge under clothing). It's not illegal in Texas, and accidental exposure has been rewritten to no longer be a legal issue. I may just roll with it and see if I get any grief from people.

I do a lot of oilfield travel, sometimes with my children. I broke down once in the middle of nowhere with no cell service and had an intensely uncomfortable experience with the "man" who stopped to "help". I will never be put in that situation again, so I carry.
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I carry an M&P Shield 9mm, and use a Remora holster. Even with tighter tops/jeans, it's barely noticeable, and much more comfortable for me than a belt holster.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I think eventually I'm going to go with those compression shorts, or this http://shop.tacticalshit.com/concealed-carry-corset
    ccw_holster4_1.jpg

So far I object to the cost though.
  • Mediocrates55
    Options
    I LOVE the look of those, smantha. They're so pretty. But summers at 112 degrees might make that a bit less than ideal. LOL. That and drawing ability.
    I have been thinking about getting a CanCan so I can wear dresses again.
    36ut0kt7zd8g.jpg

Again though, price tag.