Need smaller clothes, where to shop??

Options
FYI I am in Canada, though we do have some American chains up here.

I need smaller clothes, I am drowning in mine. The only thing I don't need to replace are my socks and shoes :)

But I hate shopping! I need suggestions where to shop.

About me:
44 year old mom to 2 teenagers, not working at the moment
style: sporty casual; Typical attire jeans and a t-shirt or casual top. Sometimes yoga stretch pants o:) So fancy and high maintenance, right? lol
Current size 10-12, was a 16, down 27.5 lbs so far.
Budget: not huge, no $200 jeans or $500 purses in my closet!

I'm looking for clothing chain suggestions, or even pinterest boards!! Thanks!

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the following stores are in Canada but if they are, I'd suggest:
    Kohl's
    Macy's
    Old Navy
    Target
    Marshall's
    TJ Maxx
    Consignment stores
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Th only ones of those chains we have are Old Navy and Target, but our Target stores up here don't have a great clothing section, I've been in US locations and they are so much better!

Typically department stores don't cross the borders, but chains like Reitman's, Old Navy, etc, do.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Charity shops and eBay provided most of my weight loss wardrobe.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Sporty casual sahm? Gap, Old Navy, Winners. Never pay the original price, only go for sales. Get 2 pairs of dark jeans, 1 pair cords or khakis or similar, 3-4 tops, 3-4 sweaters. Get a disposable email address and sign up for coupons.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Or, go to Buffalo if you're in ON and wear that stuff back over the border. Gas is cheap right now and so are the clothes over there.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I am the Costco queen. ( live in BC)
    If you have one close they are great for yoga pants & capris. They also do good long and short sleeve t-shirt tops. Inexpensive and long wearing clothes.
    Reitmans isn't bad, but not sure if they do a good jean.
    H&M are good.
    Dear me, you have just made me realise I dress Costco way too much.

Cheers, h.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    I am the Costco queen. ( live in BC)
    If you have one close they are great for yoga pants & capris. They also do good long and short sleeve t-shirt tops. Inexpensive and long wearing clothes.
    Reitmans isn't bad, but not sure if they do a good jean.
    H&M are good.
    Dear me, you have just made me realise I dress Costco way too much.

Cheers, h.

I do Costco, but I wish they had a change room, as I really don't know what size to buy :) I do wear Rietman's sometimes (I've read lots of negative comments on here about there so was scared to mention that o:) ) but I don't like anything they have in right now.

I need someone to clothe me :s Winner's is an absolute nightmare if you hate to shop.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Or, go to Buffalo if you're in ON and wear that stuff back over the border. Gas is cheap right now and so are the clothes over there.

I wish I was close to the border!! We are 6 hours north of the Montana border, and Montana near the border doesn't have much.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Second hand stores can be great, especially if you're not at goal weight yet. But just know that these are older clothes and if you wear an 8 now you might have to go to a 12 or 14 because sizes have changed. I was just another another thread talking about it- I was a size 7 in high school and weighed 117 and there are people who are saying that they weigh 170 and wear a size 10. If you buy older clothes you may be a bit surprised by the size- but don't let it bother you, it's just a number. Good luck.
  • bbrat333
    bbrat333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    While loosing I only shop at second hand stores & goodwill (aside from a treat or two from somewhere cheap like Walmart) for my home clothes. I do get some work clothes second hand, but mostly I shop the clearance sections online (more selection than in stores) from Lane Bryant and other stores for styles I already know I like, but I always measure and check the size charts first in case they updated their sizes. You can probably get to most of the chains mentioned above online if you are willing to risk a couple returns or aim for s size you expect to be snug to shrink into.

I don't see any point in spending a bunch of money on clothes I plan to shrink out of asap.
    Also, I sew up-to an inch in the waist of my pants above the front pockets when they start getting loose and wear a shirt that covers the stitch. It keeps them up longer so I can get use out of them longer.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Target's a good "in between" shop, due to its economical nature.
  • menosquinze
    Options
    I do my shopping exclusively at secondhand stores. They have all unique things, it's much more fun, produces less waste (minimizes your carbon footprint!), much cheaper, and feels more rewarding at the end of the day.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I went to goodwill last weekend. Got myself 6 new shirts, a much needed belt, 4 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shoes and some lovely insulated tights ( because i'm freezing my butt off now) all for less than 100 bucks. They have everything from wedding dresses to sweatpants. I was very happy.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hahaha blankiefinder, I wished we lived closer, I love shopping. Not buying, just shopping. I would be in seventh heaven taking you out.
    I shop thrift stores a lot. I got my Christmas party dress for $8.50 and it was a stunner.

Bite the bullet after the new year rush and take an afternoon trawling the local mall. If you walk fast enough you can log it as cardio.
    Oh, and don't be scared of those stores that look too young for you. They usually have the casual clothes at a disposable price that you are looking for. The sizing is scary, ignore it.
    Cheers, h.
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    H&M online has some great clothes , look in the sale section and u can get some great deals. I got some cute leggings for $5.99 and some tops for $ 4. They should have more after Xmas but they go quick so if u see something u should get it . I live near Yosemite so not much shopping here, an hr from nearest city .
  • Beewallows
    Beewallows Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Only try Winners or Marshalls if you have intense patience. I would suggest RW+Co, Reitman's and SmartSet. They all have nice jeans and t-shirts that can be easily dressed up or down.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    jcpennys
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of LL Bean, if you aren't too worried about being fashionable. Their clothes are really good quality. Their coats last...a lifetime, I think. People tend to die before the coats even begin to wear out. Customer service is top notch. They aren't cheap, but they aren't expensive...and they're excellent quality. (I don't work for them.)

These days, I'm buying on eBay and at Wal-Mart. I go through sizes too much. I can't buy three, four or five entire wardrobes every year. Started this year in 22, ending it in a 14. Next year will be the same deal.

The Wal-Mart clothes are fine. They wouldn't last forever, but they get me through a few months and can be donated to people who need them when I'm done.

I don't know about you Canadians. Don't you guys have to wear red & black flannel? Is that a law up there? ;)
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer to shop second hand (smaller shops, or sometimes Value Village and Talize) but Target has some pretty nice, affordable clothing, you might like the Mossimo and Morona lines of clothing, nice, practical stuff.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    H&M is a British store that opened in NYC a few years ago with good prices and smaller sizes - maybe they're in Canada

Smaller stores - more unique - higher prices than H&M
    Uni Qlu - Japanese
    Desigual
    Anthropologie
    Athleta