Do People Get Annoyed With You Because You Count Calories?

Options

Replies

• KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    yeah its kinda hilarious to watch their faces as i choose differently from them. i used to sit across a total negative nancy at work who would guffaw at my calorie counting and success story thread lurking :p
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    !

My sister was most unimpressed with the iPhone app; "When you can take a photo of your plate of food, and have the phone work out the calories in it, THEN I'll be impressed!" she said.

HAHAH that would be awesome!!!
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I can see it in my husbands face "enough already" but other times it's like a quiz show to see who can guess closest. I work part-time, when I eat, I log and try to plan ahead. When I mess up I correct it. Sometimes he shakes his head and says "what are you doing over there?" I shake my head back and say "nothin". He knows lol. He's been very supportive and I appreciate that he is there for me. It's your health, addicted to calorie counting? There are worse addictions!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's going to be interesting when I move in with my best friend in a couple of months. She eats big portions and doesn't watch what she eats at ALL. It's obvious to say that she is overweight. She doesn't have a problem with her weight, so that's up to her. However when I made us a meal the other week, she was like 'aint we having garlic bread and cheese?' and I was like 'nah, they're high in calories and I'm trying to lose weight' and she just looked confused and went 'oh...' haha.
  • hotdonna23
    hotdonna23 Posts: 2
    Options
    My husband teases me if I take a bite of something he is eating he says " r u gonna put that in your phone?" I just laugh & tell him yes. yes I am then I do. Tracking calories is nothing new my mom use to write everything down in a notebook I find it really helps me 2 make better choices & doing it on my phone saves trees.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    My friends dont like to go out with me. bc i do that exact same thing... while inside the bar. lol. i go thru the phone and see which alchohol has the least cals. lol. then i order it. its kind of a lenghthy process. so most of my friends have banned me from girls night out! lol.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    !

My sister was most unimpressed with the iPhone app; "When you can take a photo of your plate of food, and have the phone work out the calories in it, THEN I'll be impressed!" she said.

HAHAH that would be awesome!!!

Actually... they did invent one of those. I think it may be available on the iphone. I doubt its very accurate though :smile:
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I do it as sneaky as possible! First, aside from my husband, I have not told a soul about my weight loss. So if I log on here on my phone, they just think I'm texting. Second, I usually try to figure out what I'm going to have BEFORE I go so that I can get calorie info and so that I do not stray from my initial plan.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Not yet... but I can see people potentially doing that at some point. If I were you, I'd just remember that they don't really understand what you're going through so oh well if they give you crap about it. I mean, your dedication is amazing and you're doing things to better yourself and stay healthy. Nothing to be ashamed about, even if others think it's neurotic.

But, I understand how something like that would get annoying. I would just have a comeback ready that will get their mind off of it. Maybe something like, "haha ok, so I'm addicted to staying healthy, at least it's not as bad as other addictions. I appreciate you looking out for me. Now I know that you won't hold back if I decide to take up a crack habit." Lol. Something like that. They're probably just worried about you getting "too obsessed" or something but they just don't understand that this is now a part of your (healthy) lifestyle.

LOL that's what I thought! Great come back!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    All the time!! I will say, "do you realize there are 500 calories in that" and they put their hand up and say, "shut up...I don't even want to know".
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    The opposite of what you have all experienced...my husband, kids, and friends are all learning to count their own calories and to think twice about what they may be ordering when we go out to eat. Take today for example...my hubby and I were out shopping and decided to go to Burger King for lunch (I know...totally not the best choice:blushing: ). I ordered a nice garden salad with grilled chicken--no dressing or croutons and a glass of water. My hubby ordered the triple whopper with cheese and bacon, onion rings, and a glass of water (he gets credit for the water at least). I checked the nutrition guide for my salad--230 calories. He asked what his was after he wolfed it down--1230 calories (not including the bacon and onion rings). Needless to say, after hearing about his calories--he immediatly regreted his decision and actually got sick a half an hour later. I just smiled and asked him if he enjoyed having lunch with me. He growled and said next time to tell him how bad his choice is before he orders!!! Another lesson learned in his book! :laugh:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Not any more. I guess they got tired of the lecture.
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Not yet... but I can see people potentially doing that at some point. If I were you, I'd just remember that they don't really understand what you're going through so oh well if they give you crap about it. I mean, your dedication is amazing and you're doing things to better yourself and stay healthy. Nothing to be ashamed about, even if others think it's neurotic.

But, I understand how something like that would get annoying. I would just have a comeback ready that will get their mind off of it. Maybe something like, "haha ok, so I'm addicted to staying healthy, at least it's not as bad as other addictions. I appreciate you looking out for me. Now I know that you won't hold back if I decide to take up a crack habit." Lol. Something like that. They're probably just worried about you getting "too obsessed" or something but they just don't understand that this is now a part of your (healthy) lifestyle.

lol! loving the comeback, I'll need to remember that one!

I can see there being potential problems with my Mum and my BF, odd how they're the people I'm closest to and they should definitely know better about whats 'healthy' for the average person. He's a nurse and a fromer semi-serious rugby player and my mum is a retired chemical analyst in the food industry!

Soo um yeah, I can see them getting concerned when I start to drop weight (even though I'm way overweight as it is, they're still saiying 'no you still look lovely') /sigh I'm 5' 5" and 185 lbs, thats not lovely or healthy!!!

Anyhoos, in summary: no probs yet, but I can see them comin!!!

Keep your chins up everyone! We're doing this so we can feel, look and stay healthy. Cast your eyes at the people telling you the negatives! Are they fit, healthy and happy? Doubtful in most cases tbh!! At least we're working on it!!!!

xx
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Yep, I drive people nuts, but I need to do this! They are also seeing my results, so they get it.
    My bff is always telling me to "go chew on some lettuce" when I complain about calories. I also
    compulsively read labels, and measure food. People make comments about that too.
  • wendybonds1
    wendybonds1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am struggling so much with this too! I work in a hotel and my coworkers always bring all these pastries and bad food in the office. It's almost like they get MAD at me?!?! I am smaller but I want to eat healthy and would like to lose 5lbs. It's really hard to do at work, my coworkers think I'm crazy.
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    More so that my male friends who have known me for years don't believe I'm doing it in the first place and then when I explain it, they tend to take the mickey out of me and make jibs and remarks.. And as a smoker it makes it worse as they joke what's the point in counting calories if I'm killing myself anyway.. BUT that's why I joined MFP, as I know my friends that I've grown up with won't understand it or provide the support I need..

The other side of it, is their girlfriends/wives and other female friends are genuinely interested in it and so I've started suggesting people to join up and give it a go, as MFP covers all goals..
  • TurtlesRule
    TurtlesRule Posts: 53
    Options
    Hells yes!!! (especially from the boyfriend) one word....HATERS!!!!!
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    Options
    It really depends on how you do it as others have pointed out its on your phone could be a text message or anything else. Think people get annoyed if you go on about it. Its your way of life to help you lose weight. just dont get obsessed with it and let it take over. you can wait a little time before logging it on here. Its all about making the healthiest choice in whatever situation your in. I have really good support friends and family around me but have had the negative in the past. Be strong and do what you want to do its your life xx
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I haven't told anyone except my husband. He laughs at me but also tells me how good I'm looking, so I just say "you can laugh, but it's working" and he has to agree.
    I don't think other people are generally really interested and I know that it can be really annoying to be with someone who obsesses over food and calories. it can come across as though you are really superior and doing it to point out how unhealthy they other person is.
    If people are surprised when I say no to something I just brush it off with "oh, I'm trying to eat healthy".
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    Well, I don't make it the center or focus of conversation. If I'm eating with friends, I mentally do some rough calculations in my head, make the best choices I can, and then add things in later. Nobody wants to hear about anyone else's diet. That's rule #1.

well said!