Spouse not joining in

Options
13»

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I started this journey almost 100 days ago. My husband also needed to lose weight, but we had been on this yo-yo "lets eat better and move more" thing for a few months. Then 100 days ago, I decided I was tired of being fat and buckled down. At first he just wasn't in to it. He kept eating the same things he always did and when I would recommend a healthy meal he wouldn't want it. I would say "I thought you wanted to eat better and lose weight?" and he said "that was a few months ago, I don't want to do it any more". So, I gave up and just did my thing. Granted, it took a little willpower when he was eating cookies and I was sipping tea, but I just put my mind to it and did it.
    About a month and a half in to my healthy eating habits, he joined the gym. He slowly started eating better and now he watches his calories, eats what I eat, and hits the gym every day. I truly believe he was motivated by my self control and weight loss. if you've already talked to him about your concerns, I would say give him a little more time and maybe he will eventually come around like my husband did. You can't force him to do anything, so just do what you need to do. He will either come around or he won't.
    You need to do what's best for you, and that might include ignoring all of his junk food.
  • aeharvey36
    aeharvey36 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband did not join me on my weight loss journey. As he watched me lose the weight he felt inspired to lose weight too. You keep on doing you're thing. Your husband may come around at some point. All you can do is be supportive and encouraging.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    When I started almost a year ago, mine said "I am NOT on a diet, you're on your own" Now that he sees how I've done, he says he's going to start after the 1st of January.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    As long as he is supportive and not hindering your efforts, all is golden. It took mine 5 months to "see the light" and now he is sorta on board and eating/exercising better. I know I'd have been pretty peeved had he pushed me. I gave him the same courtesy. You can only make change when you WANT to make change.

I think the turning point for him came when we took a leisurely bike ride on the Thanksgiving holiday and he was outta breath and couldn't keep up. I'm by no means an athlete, and my BMI is definitely higher than his. It was and always be his choice though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My hubby has been pretty generous with the changes to my lifestyle, which means less time together. I'm off to the gym or a run, and he's not in the mood. He moans about getting "motivated" but I can't give him a pill or an injection to get him moving.

I'm paying it forward not by insisting he change along with me, but allowing him the generosity to do what he likes at his own pace.

Leave the poor guy alone. The next time he moans about having to get healthier, give him an indulgent pat and say, "Sure, big fella".
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My hubby has been pretty generous with the changes to my lifestyle, which means less time together. I'm off to the gym or a run, and he's not in the mood. He moans about getting "motivated" but I can't give him a pill or an injection to get him moving.

I'm paying it forward not by insisting he change along with me, but allowing him the generosity to do what he likes at his own pace.

Leave the poor guy alone. The next time he moans about having to get healthier, give him an indulgent pat and say, "Sure, big fella".

I agree with all of it, but not the "Sure, big fella" part. I'd be mortified and extremely hurt if my partner said "Sure, big girl" to me.
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel but as I've told my husband "I can lead you to the water but I can't make you drink".

The problem I have with my husband (and it sounds like you are having the same one with the ice cream comment) is he eats all the healthy food I bring into the house plus most of the junk he brings in. Then he leaves me with an empty shelf and all that's left is stuff that is bad for me (ie. ice cream, pop tarts, chips, candy, processed boxed dinners, etc). I noticed this after he scarfed down all the dinner I made (he probably had 4 portions) and didn't leave me anything to take to lunch the next day. Now when I cook I immediately put a portion aside in my lunch container so he won't take it out of the pot and eat it. As far as the fresh veggies and fruit go I've told him if he eats the last of something he is responsible for immediately replacing it. Now there seems to be at least something fresh to eat. lol
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Make sure and pat his stomach so he knows you're talking about that and not his genitals. Men tend to assume the best case scenario usually. Guys are such optimist.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    LOL, best case scenario, for sure. When hubby got an "obese" diagnosis years ago he followed me around the house for days begging me to confirm that he wasn't fat. He's still a lot trimmer than me but not for much longer. I can borrow his jacket now.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    My sweet husband eats what i eat. Is supportive in any way and what i am doing. He lost some pounds too ( dont even really needs to). And he eats a bit extra of the food he likes ( like nacho's and stuff) most of the time when i am in the gym. He doesn't go to the gym But he dont have to. He is for his age fit and not too heavy. He walks with me every evening. He is happy for me and interested. And love the food i put in front of him lol.

I think indeed even when your husband doesn't want the healthier life style that it would be easier when they he is supportive and interested in what your doing.
  • scupit
    scupit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the support and comments. I am just now realizing I had so many responses to my post. I thought I would get notified somehow when I had a response. Guess not. Okay, so hubby is on board! I basically just told him I was concerned about our health and our future. Neither one of us is necessarily overweight. He might be a tad overweight but nothing too bad. However, I see both of us going down a bad path...eating too much bad food and drinking too much beer/wine. Anyway, we both started our healthy eating on Saturday. And honestly he's been stronger than me. I already want a glass or two of wine! I'm just glad we are in this together.
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Being healthy isn't always about being overweight. I have seen my skinny friends wheeze walking up the stairs. We both want to be here for many years and watch our children grow up.
    My bf and I discussed our meals even over chat at work and make sure we keep each other motivated, but he too didn't start until recently when he saw my progress. He wants to support me and keep us both motivated to keep on track. May be TMI but he will be better able to keep up with me in the bedroom ;) and that motivated him ten-fold.