on a Bulk, trying to get my nutrition down, IIFYM, etc..

va_01
va_01 Posts: 176 Member
Hi everyone

So I have been reading up a lot about nutrition, particularly when it comes to gaining weight on a bulk. I can't seem to gain any weight (I am currently eating 3700 cal a day).

Here's my breakdown of my macros:

3700 cal
144 fat
370 carb
231 protein

I'm thinking of reducing my protein a bit, and upping my carbs.

My question mainly revolves around the types of foods I'm eating, and whether or not I may have a deficiency in micronutrients, "high quality" protein, etc. and if that in turn could have an effect on my mass building goals?

I am a vegetarian with the exception of bacon, and very occasionally chicken. Not things I eat every day, but when I'm at a restaurant and I have no other options, that is what I turn to.

I can post the specifics of my diet, but the bulk of my calorie sources come from foods like:

Milk
Oats
Brown Rice
Tofu
Eggs
Cheese
Protein Powder (to aid in extra calories)
Olive Oil
Nuts
Greek Yogurt
Granola
Tempeh Bacon / Mayonnaise / Lettuce / Tomato / Whole Wheat sandwich
more Milk

That's the base of my diet. I seem to hit my macros pretty decently. (Go over fats by 13 grams, Carbs by 10 grams, short on protein by 20 grams or so, but I'm already calculating high for this anyway so I'm not too worried about it).

My fiber is around 40 grams a day, my cholesterol seems kind of high (however, my # is inflated due to the standard 2000 cal a day recommendation, yet is still kind of high), etc.

Any comments on this, and what I can improve to reach my goals? I understand the IIFYM idea, but I worry now about not getting enough "high quality" protein and micro nutrients.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    no need to post specifics.... just eat more of the things you are eating.

How you break your macros up is irrelevant if you aren't gaining.

Do you eat ice cream? pizza? beer? bagels? sugar bagels (doughnuts) gummy bears?

are you eating full fat milk/yogurt/dairy? Cut out anything that says "no or low" fat- and replace it with full- double full or extra fat.... add butter or bacon grease to everything you eat.

And also- I wouldn't call yourself a vegetarian if you actually eat meat- it just confuses things for other people and it's nonsensical.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited December 2014
    Quick guess is that your protein may be a bit too high. You only need about 1g per pound of lean body mass (especially on a bulk).

Other than that, calories are king on a bulk. Hit your calorie goal everyday to see gains.

ETA: The only reason I say your protein may be a bit high is that the more protein you try to eat, the harder it gets to hit your calorie goal. I know when I'm trying to eat to gain, I do better if I eat more carbs than protein. Chicken fills me up soooo much faster than ice cream.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Are you weighing everything and sure you're eating 3700 cals?
  • va_01
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Quick guess is that your protein may be a bit too high. You only need about 1g per pound of lean body mass (especially on a bulk).

Other than that, calories are king on a bulk. Hit your calorie goal everyday to see gains.

ETA: The only reason I say your protein may be a bit high is that the more protein you try to eat, the harder it gets to hit your calorie goal. I know when I'm trying to eat to gain, I do better if I eat more carbs than protein. Chicken fills me up soooo much faster than ice cream.

Yeah I've come to the realization my protein is a bit too high. the only problelm with MFP is that it only divies it out in %'s, which screws m over in easily calculating my daily goals, which I'm currently trying to work around.
  • va_01
    Are you weighing everything and sure you're eating 3700 cals?

I don't weigh, but I do measure things like my milk/ oats/ protein powder, as well as know how much tofu I consume based on the packaging, as well as my granola, measuring my rice, etc.

Is there anything I'm missing?
  • JoRocka
    edited December 2014
    not gaining = not eating enough

so the only thing your missing is more food.

if you're having a hard time eating that much- stop eating such "filling" foods that are low calorie and opt for the most calorie dense- and less filling thing you can get your hands on- milk- but it can be filling- soda if you're willing to drink it is good- chocolate milk also.

I know a guy was blending slices of cheesecake into his smoothies to up the calorie content.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Is your name Kelly? and do you have a dog named Olive?
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

if you're having a hard time eating that much- stop eating such "filling" foods that are low calorie and opt for the most calorie dense- and less filling thing you can get your hands on- milk- but it can be filling- soda if you're willing to drink it is good- chocolate milk also.

I know a guy was blending slices of cheesecake into his smoothies to up the calorie content.

Yep.... ^^^ this. Eat more calorie dense foods.
  • va_01

Yep.... ^^^ this. Eat more calorie dense foods.

I'm just not sure if drinking soda is a good idea.

I am open to more calorie dense foods, particularly those with a higher carb content. I am already drinking a 600 calorie protein drink (Monster Mass).

What about things like Kind and Cliff bars?
  • JoRocka
    You're not hearing us.

anything with high calorie content.

it doesn't matter what.
  • xcalygrl
    You're not hearing us.

it doesn't matter what.

Exactly.

Full-fat dairy, ice cream, doughnuts, cake, brownies, cookies, nut butters, candy, burgers, beer, wine, pizza.
  • va_01
    You're not hearing us.

it doesn't matter what.

I do understand that the calorie content of these foods are high, and that eating them will put give me my macro count.

However, my main concern on this thread is ensuring I meet micronutrient requirements, etc. For instance (forgive me I know these are probably not equal but for explanation purposes bear with me):

1 big mac would not make me gain and more / less than grilled chicken breast / spinach and brown rice. Calories in/calories out. However, I do feel that apart from that there is a benefit of sticking to the healthier option.

I am not very educated on micronutrients, which is the reason for this thread. How much would I be missing out if I ate big macs all day as opposed to grilled chicken all day? (A more realistic approach to this would be that it would be a mixture of both).

Does that make sense?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    va_01 wrote: »
    You're not hearing us.

it doesn't matter what.

I do understand that the calorie content of these foods are high, and that eating them will put give me my macro count.

However, my main concern on this thread is ensuring I meet micronutrient requirements, etc. For instance (forgive me I know these are probably not equal but for explanation purposes bear with me):

1 big mac would not make me gain and more / less than grilled chicken breast / spinach and brown rice. Calories in/calories out. However, I do feel that apart from that there is a benefit of sticking to the healthier option.

I am not very educated on micronutrients, which is the reason for this thread. How much would I be missing out if I ate big macs all day as opposed to grilled chicken all day? (A more realistic approach to this would be that it would be a mixture of both).

Does that make sense?

Yes, but at 3700 calories, you can easily hit your micros with 2000 calories to spare. Does THAT make sense?
  • va_01
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    You're not hearing us.

it doesn't matter what.

Does that make sense?

Yes, but at 3700 calories, you can easily hit your micros with 2000 calories to spare. Does THAT make sense?

yep that does. Again, I'm having trouble finding out what I need micro nutrient wise, including WHAT or how much?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Do you use the app on your phone? It shows you everything right there. Aim for 100% USDA for vitamins and minerals.
  • xcalygrl
    You're not hearing us.

it doesn't matter what.

Does that make sense?

For a bulk, you really need to hit your calorie needs first and foremost. If you don't, you won't make the gains you're after.

Yes, you can choose the healthier choices (chicken, rice, and veggies vs. the big mac), but if you're sitting short on your calories at the end of the day, you need calories. Most people who bulk, can't hit a surplus eating just chicken, rice, and veggies, so they add in the higher calorie lower nutrition options (ice cream, baked goods, beer/wine, etc.).

At the end of the day, you aren't going to miss out on most of your micro/macros if you are eating what you are currently eating and adding in some of the higher calorie suggestions provided.
  • JoRocka
    You're not hearing us.

it doesn't matter what.

Does that make sense?

yep that does. Again, I'm having trouble finding out what I need micro nutrient wise, including WHAT or how much?
    as long as you are filling your plate with a variety of food outside of medical issues- you won't ever really be concerned about micros.

micros are just not that serious and at almost 4000 calories- as long as you are getting all the foods- you'll be fine.

the problem with your grilled chicken example is that if you 3700 calories of chicken brown rice and spinach- you're going to probably puke b/c you're going to be overly full.

But if you eat your chicken and brown rice and spinach for lunch- and have a big mac for dessert- you're going to be golden on variety and calories.

In a bulk- calories are king.

almost nothing else matters because if you have perfect macros and perfect micros- and you fail to hit your minimal target surplus goal- you won't be in surplus- which means- good job you had perfect macros and no muscle gains.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    You're not hearing us.

it doesn't matter what.

Does that make sense?

Keep it simple.

Grab yourself 2-3 servings of fruits & veggies each day and call it good.
    Feel free to supplement with a quality multi-vitamin for insurance if you'd like.

My rule of thumb is variety. Each of my MAIN meals includes 1 piece of fruit & 1 serving of veggies, and I vary the choice at EVERY one of the meals to be sure I'm getting a variety of micronutrient content VIA whole food sources.

Then toss in a quality multi-vitamin product to assist in filling any voids.
  • markjdavenport
    markjdavenport Posts: 1 Member
    Lets look at your activity. If you do a physical job every day then blast it in the gym, then you may be in a calorie deficit. Also, the type of training you are doing can have impact on your gains. A lot of things come into play here. I have been there, when I was young in my 20s I could eat 4000 calories and still lose weight. I trained briefer with more intensity, lots of rest and recovery. Do not eat junk, good clean food. Get your macros right. If you are a hard gainer, 3 maybe for super intense workouts a week thats it. And yes, bump up the calories about 500, go a few weeks, weigh yourself take measurements etc and adjust accordingly.
  • JoRocka
    Lets look at your activity. If you do a physical job every day then blast it in the gym, then you may be in a calorie deficit. Also, the type of training you are doing can have impact on your gains. A lot of things come into play here. I have been there, when I was young in my 20s I could eat 4000 calories and still lose weight. I trained briefer with more intensity, lots of rest and recovery. Do not eat junk, good clean food. Get your macros right. If you are a hard gainer, 3 maybe for super intense workouts a week thats it. And yes, bump up the calories about 500, go a few weeks, weigh yourself take measurements etc and adjust accordingly.
    rubbish.

good clean food means d1ck all if you aren't in a surplus.