on a Bulk, trying to get my nutrition down, IIFYM, etc..

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Lets look at your activity. If you do a physical job every day then blast it in the gym, then you may be in a calorie deficit. Also, the type of training you are doing can have impact on your gains. A lot of things come into play here. I have been there, when I was young in my 20s I could eat 4000 calories and still lose weight. I trained briefer with more intensity, lots of rest and recovery. Do not eat junk, good clean food. Get your macros right. If you are a hard gainer, 3 maybe for super intense workouts a week thats it. And yes, bump up the calories about 500, go a few weeks, weigh yourself take measurements etc and adjust accordingly.
    rubbish.

good clean food means d1ck all if you aren't in a surplus.

Plus, how does one possibly eat about 4000 calories of "good clean food" without being miserable?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    overly stretched stomach and the "i'm going to puke if I move" feeling??
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Do not eat junk, good clean food. Get your macros right.

Stopped reading at this part.

And so should you OP.
    Disregard his post.

• va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    I guess I saw micros in the same way as I saw macros - the more you eat, the more you need.

I am pretty much hitting maintenence right now at 3500-3700 calories. My last bulk (which I short stopped due to my inability to commit) saw me gaining around .5 lbs a week on 4000 calories. The thought of eating more healthy food makes me so depressed haha

If i could fill that extra 200 calories with something that is HIGH carb and easy to digest, that would be ideal, since I am trying to up my carbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    va_01 wrote: »

If i could fill that extra 200 calories with something that is HIGH carb and easy to digest, that would be ideal, since I am trying to up my carbs.

Eat a doughnut... Job done.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

Snickers. Any other kind of chocolate.
    Most of a serving of Ben & Jerrys
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    If one lives in an industrial nation, one really does not have to worry about getting enough micro-nutrients --- they are fortified in just about everything we eat --- unless you have some kind of medical condition.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    If one lives in an industrial nation, one really does not have to worry about getting enough micro-nutrients --- they are fortified in just about everything we eat --- unless you have some kind of medical condition.

Especially at 3700 cals/day.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Everyone's already said it, just came in to agree.

No way you need to worry about micros on 3700. Have a snicker :)
  • civilizedworm
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Especially at 3700 cals/day.
    Such a lovely number... makes me want to feed.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    603reader wrote: »

My pre-workout meal will typically consist of a Snickers (or candy bar of choice) + Monster.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    If one lives in an industrial nation, one really does not have to worry about getting enough micro-nutrients --- they are fortified in just about everything we eat
    If you're making/preparing a lot of food from scratch (like I do), that may not necessarily be the case. Only a small portion of the foods I eat regularly have been fortified.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    If one lives in an industrial nation, one really does not have to worry about getting enough micro-nutrients --- they are fortified in just about everything we eat
    If you're making/preparing a lot of food from scratch (like I do), that may not necessarily be the case. Only a small portion of the foods I eat regularly have been fortified.

And, if they haven't been fortified... it is likely that they are already dense in nutrient as whole food sources.
  • civilizedworm
    Still not a concern.

Really, the only thing some people in some parts of the country (down south if I recollect correctly from my college nutrition classes) have to worry about is a lack of iodine in their soil. But not much more than that.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    You don't get nutritional bonus points for eating above and beyond what your body needs for micronutrients. Anything over what your body needs just gets peed/pooped/exhaled out (or stored in your fatty tissue).
    And, if you truly want to be miserable...by all means....keep your diet "clean" while you try to bulk. Have fun with that.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

My pre-workout meal will typically consist of a Snickers (or candy bar of choice) + Monster.

That grosses me out only because I don't like Monster or Snickers lol
    I rarely eat candy bars these days (because I have overeating issues) but I like Muskateers, that crazy Reese's candy bar, Skor bars
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    snickers are a great pre/post workout

carbs- protein fats.

winning all the way around- it was never my go to until I realized it has so much more bang for it's buck than a pure chocolate bar that I would normally reach for.... so it's my go to when I need a quick higher cal snack.
  • civilizedworm
    Lately, I've been drinking Grande Whole Milk Cappuccinos because that 'bucks is the closest thing open to my gym in the morning after I finish. I grasp my mug tightly as I can. Tides me over until I get home for another feed.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

That grosses me out only because I don't like Monster or Snickers lol
    I rarely eat candy bars these days (because I have overeating issues) but I like Muskateers, that crazy Reese's candy bar, Skor bars

After years of volunteering to empty recycling at the medical school when I was working on my degree, I can't stand the smell of energy drinks; the library cans were full of those.

Then a few weeks ago red bull had a promotion at my gym and they handed out the diet red bulls to everyone, and so everyone around me was drinking them. I was excited I made it through my workout without puking.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Hi everyone

So I have been reading up a lot about nutrition, particularly when it comes to gaining weight on a bulk. I can't seem to gain any weight (I am currently eating 3700 cal a day).

Here's my breakdown of my macros:

3700 cal
    144 fat
    370 carb
    231 protein

I'm thinking of reducing my protein a bit, and upping my carbs.

My question mainly revolves around the types of foods I'm eating, and whether or not I may have a deficiency in micronutrients, "high quality" protein, etc. and if that in turn could have an effect on my mass building goals?

I am a vegetarian with the exception of bacon, and very occasionally chicken. Not things I eat every day, but when I'm at a restaurant and I have no other options, that is what I turn to.

I can post the specifics of my diet, but the bulk of my calorie sources come from foods like:

Milk
    Oats
    Brown Rice
    Tofu
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Protein Powder (to aid in extra calories)
    Olive Oil
    Nuts
    Greek Yogurt
    Granola
    Tempeh Bacon / Mayonnaise / Lettuce / Tomato / Whole Wheat sandwich
    more Milk

That's the base of my diet. I seem to hit my macros pretty decently. (Go over fats by 13 grams, Carbs by 10 grams, short on protein by 20 grams or so, but I'm already calculating high for this anyway so I'm not too worried about it).

My fiber is around 40 grams a day, my cholesterol seems kind of high (however, my # is inflated due to the standard 2000 cal a day recommendation, yet is still kind of high), etc.

Any comments on this, and what I can improve to reach my goals? I understand the IIFYM idea, but I worry now about not getting enough "high quality" protein and micro nutrients.

I suggest few servings of fruits and vegetables for micronutrients. I tend to lack these so I've been using a blender. Baby spinach, fruit, juice and ice.

As usual, you're overthinking everything again. Getting macro/micro nutrients while on a surplus should be the easy part.