To All Weight Lifting Women....

Replies

• sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Well, I'm going to be the odd chick out and say, I think 1650 is too low.
    I would definitely give it a few more weeks to see if you feel better as you adjust. But....I;m 5'5" and currently 135 lbs and about 19% body fat and I would be MISERABLE on 1650. I actually cut weight at about 1900-2000. I lift 4 days/week, no cardio.

You'll definitely need to pay attention to macros because you aren't going to recover well if you aren't eating enough protein or carbs.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    I'm new to weight lifting. After reading a ton of success stories I decided to ditch the cardio killer and go heavy! I mean...the idea makes sense! And.... I LOVE it. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and it's great. BUT I'm finding that doing the program as-is, is creating havoc on me! I'm 5'3" and eating 1650 calories a day on average. I'm trying to lose weight (body fat)....but I feel so fatiqued and drained after a lifting session. I would like to eat less...but I'm not sure how that would go over with lifting as it is.

I'm just wondering what others do for weight lifting, how you live through it, and have you had success?
    I have been lifting for 9 months, and I am (still) VERY hungry on lifting days. That has slowed my weight loss a lot (though still losing inches) because I was really starving and had to eat.
    Since I would like to lose some more fat, I started something new last week: I lift 4x a week and eat 1900 cal on those days. On rest days (3 per week) I inly eat 1200 and under 120g of carbs. My program is leangains inspired the idea being that you build muscle with carb calories and protein and lose fat on alternating days.
    I am not sure if it works that way but so far it is easy for me to eat less on rest days and it is a relief to eat 1900 on lifting days. Average over a week comes to 1650 or so which is slightly low for my weight/activity level but I am motivated right now and might ease into somewhat higher limits in a month or two.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    I would like to eat less.

Really?!

Srsly, do you mean that you'd like to eat less (some people prefer it I guess), or are you really getting at that you'd like to lose more/faster? I ask because I had an epiphany recently that trying to get there faster wasn't working and I was getting nowhere. Now I'm running a little experiment to see how MUCH I can eat without gaining ( or maybe I'll even gain, as long as I'm hitting the weights, it'll be partially muscle). Once I know that number, I'm going to use that info to eventually try to lose fat eating as MUCH as possible ( iow, trying to reverse some adaptive thermogenesis). I guess I'm just saying that our mentality of always wanting to eat less or to demonize food can be a source of slowing progress by making us tired etc. I think the mentality must change to seeing food as a valuable fuel, then you can learn how to use it as just one additional factor in your program that can be adjusted up or down instead of like a monkey on our back. Sorry if it doesn't apply to you (I mean no offense), but it's smthg from my own experience and I thought I'd put it out there.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I definitely see the benefit of eating more on your lifting days and less on your recovery days. Fuel your workouts and get the most out of them.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Recovery takes longer being in a diet.

As a few have mentioned, that's sounds like a pretty good diet going on for only 6 lbs to lose.

So recovery is probably taking longer than you are giving between sessions.

I think you'll be creating a fight with your body that you won't like the results of.

Meaning you won't lose weight that easily.
    And you won't improve as well as you could.

If you can't do a hard workout for what the muscle can do fresh and energized, then the body really has no need to improve.

For instance, if you could squat 135 lbs easily while feeling really fresh, but on your normal tired days you can barely accomplish it - that doesn't result in the body making improvements, that just results in more stress.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    edited December 2014
    I would definitely give it a few more weeks to see if you feel better as you adjust. But....I;m 5'5" and currently 135 lbs and about 19% body fat and I would be MISERABLE on 1650. I actually cut weight at about 1900-2000. I lift 4 days/week, no cardio.

You'll definitely need to pay attention to macros because you aren't going to recover well if you aren't eating enough protein or carbs.
    ^^^ Same.
    I was eating 1,800 when I first started and I was still really tired and exhausted. Upped to 2,200, then 2,500-2,700 and I was doing really well until my wallet couldn't support my diet anymore. Lol. :P

(I'm 5'2")
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Fujiberry wrote: »

^^^ Same.
    I was eating 1,800 when I first started and I was still really tired and exhausted. Upped to 2,200, then 2,500-2,700 and I was doing really well until my wallet couldn't support my diet anymore. Lol. :P

(I'm 5'2")

Another who seconds the 'too low' on the calorie front. I'm 5'1 and 98lb and I eat 2400 calories per day and lift 3 days a week. I've been lifting properly heavy for 6 months like this and I've not put on a single lb, but my body fat has dropped markedly. I'm currently at around 16% with most of my leg muscles, back muscles, delts and top 2/4 abs showing. Try eating what you feel you need to keep your energy levels up, at least whilst you settle into your new routine.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

^^^ Same.

(I'm 5'2")

Another who seconds the 'too low' on the calorie front. I'm 5'1 and 98lb and I eat 2400 calories per day and lift 3 days a week. I've been lifting properly heavy for 6 months like this and I've not put on a single lb, but my body fat has dropped markedly. I'm currently at around 16% with most of my leg muscles, back muscles, delts and top 2/4 abs showing. Try eating what you feel you need to keep your energy levels up, at least whilst you settle into your new routine.

Out of curiosity, what other exercise/activity dio you both do each week?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member

So we are about the same stats. I'm 5'4" and 139, lift 4 days a week with minimal cardio (almost none). I was lifting on 1650 but my weekend eating probably brought me up to an average of 1900 calories per day. I lost about a pound per month like this.

Do you mind me asking what you lose at 1900-2000 per month?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    catic32 wrote: »
    Protein should be higher. you should eat 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. I have a hard time eating that and I eat a lot of eggs, chicken etc etc etc. I am supplementing with protein shakes.

No. 1 gram per pound of lean body mass.
  • MyRummyHens
    jemhh wrote: »

^^^ Same.

(I'm 5'2")

Out of curiosity, what other exercise/activity dio you both do each week?

I don't do anything other than 'normal life'. I don't enjoy cardio, so I don't do it!
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    I just posted asking about this earlier today and was told to eat at a surplus if I wanted to build muscle. How is it you are all eating under and still building muscle?
  • MyRummyHens
    edited December 2014
    Not everyone is eating under. Technically there are two ways of putting on muscle, eating at a surplus and eating at maintenance. Maintenance is slow, especially for us gal's, but it does work, it is working for me. There are arguments made for people in certain situations (new to lifting, young and male, over weight etc) being able to gain muscle mass whilst in deficit, but those results will always be minimal and won't continue past a point.

It's worth noting that increased strength isn't always linked to increased muscle mass as well. You can predominately preserve muscle mass and build strength whilst in a sensible deficit, up to a point at least. Also as muscle repairs your body floods it with water, which is what that 'pumped' look is all about. You can technically eyeball bigger, and measure bigger, but you've not gained muscle mass, your muscles are just repairing and the water will drop. This last point seems to throw at lot of people, who swear their muscles have increased noticeably in a short space of time - it's just water!
  • ChristineRoze
    If I were to eat 2000 calories a day (maintenance ranging 2100-2700 because of my active job on some days) and lift 3 times a week at the gym also including an abs and pilates class will I gain muscle at all?. Ive been told to eat at a surplus to gain muscle and fat and then cut to lose weight but keep muscle. Is that the only efficient way?
  • MyRummyHens
    It really depends on what your body fat % is. Most people don't suggest that women bulk then cut if their starting body fat is above 20%. That doesn't mean you can't do it of course, it's just a guidance figure.

If you're average daily calorie requirement is 2400 (which is an average of 2100 and 2700) and you eat 400 calories under you will not put on muscle mass, but you will be able to increase your strength. What you will do though (assuming you are lifting on a program with the right intensity) is preserve your muscle mass, so for every 1lb you lose more will be fat and less would be muscle than if you didn't lift. That will make you look like you are losing weight faster as 1lb of fat fills a larger volume than 1lb of muscle, and you will also look fitter/tighter than if you just dieted. It's a great way of preventing that whole skinny fat scenario which some people dislike.

Unless you've been on an extended period of bed rest, you are underweight (in which case you should be eating at excess) or you are hoping to compete in figure competitions then you probably don't "need" to put on muscle, you might find that you get the aesthetic results I'm assuming you want from maintaining and strengthening your current muscle mass whilst you cut the fat back to see it.
  • ChristineRoze
    Interesting. I'm 5'8 at 57kg and hold most of my weight in my legs so If i do a basic body fat % test it says 14.7%.

Basically I just want my body to be exactly the same size except firm and not giggly because I am exactly as you say "skinny fat" haha So If I continue to eat at 2000 calories, I can still lose fat and show muscle under while gaining strength?
  • MyRummyHens
    At 5'8 and 57kg BMI comes out at 19.1, so you shouldn't aim to lose more weight. Aim to eat at least at maintenance and that way your body will slowly swap out fat for muscle.

If you were really 14.7% body fat at BMI 19.1 then you would have a lot of muscles already showing, if you haven't then I suspect that figure is a bit off, 18-20% is more likely unless you are/were an athlete or you've already been lifting a while.

It's always trial and error. I never tracked my calories before because I never had a weight issue, I was hugely surprised at the amount I need for my height and weight to maintain whilst lifting. At your BMI you should listen to your body, if it wants more then you should eat more.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    I'm new to weight lifting. After reading a ton of success stories I decided to ditch the cardio killer and go heavy! I mean...the idea makes sense! And.... I LOVE it. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 and it's great. BUT I'm finding that doing the program as-is, is creating havoc on me! I'm 5'3" and eating 1650 calories a day on average. I'm trying to lose weight (body fat)....but I feel so fatiqued and drained after a lifting session. I would like to eat less...but I'm not sure how that would go over with lifting as it is.

I'm just wondering what others do for weight lifting, how you live through it, and have you had success?

In the beginning you will feel tired and hungry alot. It wears off and you will learn that what you are eating (quality) will help your recovery and lifting needs. Make sure what you eat is high protein but also good carbs and healthy fats. For me I do a 40/40/20 macros and aim to eat about 1800-2000 per day.

Congrats on switching to this side of the gym :) strong lifts are so important and core! i've been strength/weight training for 3 years and love it! it makes such a difference
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Also during my first "bulk" lifting I was up to 2300 calories. It was what i needed to put on muscle. It felt weird to eat that much per day, but it was needed. I could never change my body on a calorie deficit. In the winter season I eat higher calorie and then start to cut it back as i get closer to the spring.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Are you still doing cardio? You cant just ditch that part---I do weights on tues/thurs/sat/sun and run m/w/f. I lost 20 lbs that way