two thousand calories in a single meal

from the new york times today, photos and descriptions of what two thousand calories looks like...

my favorite is the 2090 calorie shake from sonic. you read that right... a whole day's worth of calories in a single cup.

comparing the chain restaurant stuff to homemade meals is pretty strong support for the idea that the more often you cook at home, the less likely you are to be seriously overweight.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Dang! I wish there was a P.F. Chang's near us. That looks delicious. I'd skip the cake and have more wine and be < 2000.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I'm gonna stop and get me a shake now...looks yummy!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I'll take Ruth's Cris minus the alcohol! That looks amazing!
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    I'll take the Shake Shack.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    "The always dangerous ranch dressing"!! HAHAHAHA!! OMG I'm gonna die!! :laugh:

Great, now this article made me hungry... :grumble: :blush:
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    These are magical places indeed. I will now await my pumpkin carriage to deliver me to the feed.
  • jillmarie125
    These are magical places indeed. I will now await my pumpkin carriage to deliver me to the feed.

that just made me spit my coffee out. What are you a princess now?
  • civilizedworm

that just made me spit my coffee out. What are you a princess now?
    Yes. A magical one. lol
  • jillmarie125
    ^^^so jealous. us real people have to get our own food
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    This is one of the big reasons I tend to not eat out all that often...even with a relatively high maintenance number, I just can't do that too often and I'm for *kitten* about eating only 1/2 or whatever.

Also, if I know I'm going big like this I will generally eat smaller the rest of the day. I went out for brunch yesterday and I'm pretty sure it clocked in close to 1500 calories or maybe a bit more...skipped lunch, had a small snack in the afternoon and a good hardy stew in the evening.
  • civilizedworm
    ^^^so jealous. us real people have to get our own food
    Just get yourself a pumpkin carriage. Mines a Ford.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This is one of the big reasons I tend to not eat out all that often...even with a relatively high maintenance number, I just can't do that too often and I'm for *kitten* about eating only 1/2 or whatever.

Also, if I know I'm going big like this I will generally eat smaller the rest of the day. I went out for brunch yesterday and I'm pretty sure it clocked in close to 1500 calories or maybe a bit more...skipped lunch, had a small snack in the afternoon and a good hardy stew in the evening.

Just eat at the right places and pick the right foods. I eat at Taco Bell quite often and I usually pick things that end up between 400 and 600 cals for the whole meal.
  • lfrazier2482
    lfrazier2482 Posts: 82 Member
    If I had to choose it would be the steak and the martini.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    The Sonic milkshakes kill me. It's hard to resist the hazelnut cream milkshake. At least they do offer smaller sizes.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    It's easy to blast through 2,000 calories in restaurant food. A plate of fettucini alfredo nearly anywhere or anything from Chili's or The Cheesecake factory.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    smantha32 wrote: »
    It's easy to blast through 2,000 calories in restaurant food. A plate of fettucini alfredo nearly anywhere or anything from Chili's or The Cheesecake factory.

Actually, Chili's has some pretty healthy choices, if you don't mind the sodium.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    smantha32 wrote: »

Actually, Chili's has some pretty healthy choices, if you don't mind the sodium.

And you generally get 2-3 servings on a plate anyways.
    So that 2,000 calories becomes 1,000 or around 665 per serving.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member

Ha ha ha ... now my laptop is covered in tea, thanks :neutral_face:

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    I would drink that shake so hard!!
  • smantha32 wrote: »

And you generally get 2-3 servings on a plate anyways.
    So that 2,000 calories becomes 1,000 or around 665 per serving.

how many people get a plate of fettucini with chicken at cheesecake factory (about 2400 calories), divide it into three portions and share it with two other people? i am willing to bet dollars to donuts that it isn't more than one in fifty.

you can make pretty healthy choices eating out. lots of people (including me) do so on a regular basis. and if you make conscious choices and know what's actually on your plate. you are more likely to do so.