two thousand calories in a single meal

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    My boyfriend was mentioning this article last night. I was kinda grossed out over a milkshake with more than 2000 calories. I eat around 1600 a day and I feel I eat all day (every 2-3 hrs). And sadly, while tasty, that milkshake would leave me hungry in about an hour, for more carbs. The Cheesecake Factory selection really turned my stomach too. We still go out, but I cook way more than we go out to eat, mainly because I like fitting into my pants without much effort.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Good article I was just a bit disappointed how little you got.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    I love Men's Health "Eat This, Not That" --both the books and the articles they do that shows the calories in restaurant food and a better alternative. Cheesecake Factory always comes in with dishes absolutely loaded in calories, fat and sodium.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    smantha32 wrote: »
    It's easy to blast through 2,000 calories in restaurant food. A plate of fettucini alfredo nearly anywhere or anything from Chili's or The Cheesecake factory.

Actually, Chili's has some pretty healthy choices, if you don't mind the sodium.

And you generally get 2-3 servings on a plate anyways.
    So that 2,000 calories becomes 1,000 or around 665 per serving.

how many people get a plate of fettucini with chicken at cheesecake factory (about 2400 calories), divide it into three portions and share it with two other people? i am willing to bet dollars to donuts that it isn't more than one in fifty.

you can make pretty healthy choices eating out. lots of people (including me) do so on a regular basis. and if you make conscious choices and know what's actually on your plate. you are more likely to do so.

There's this place in CT called "Joey Garlics".
    It's delicious.
    The last time I went there, I got shrim scampi. Fed me for 4 meals.
    Yeah so maybe people won't order it to share AT the restuarant but I always brought my leftovers home from Joey's and made multiple meals.

• lishie_rebooted
    andielyn wrote: »
    I love Men's Health "Eat This, Not That" --both the books and the articles they do that shows the calories in restaurant food and a better alternative. Cheesecake Factory always comes in with dishes absolutely loaded in calories, fat and sodium.

And there's nothing wrong with fat or sodium.
    In fact, some of us are supposed to eat higher sodium diets, like myself.

• ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member

how many people get a plate of fettucini with chicken at cheesecake factory (about 2400 calories), divide it into three portions and share it with two other people? i am willing to bet dollars to donuts that it isn't more than one in fifty.

I concur.

I had a moment at a brew pub when I ordered a dinner salad and they brought it on a plate as big as my mother's serving platter that she'd put enough fried chicken on to serve seven. It's a little out of control. I'm not anti-splurging on occasion (I believe in "treats," not "cheats"), but wow. Just wow, sometimes.

We don't eat out very often. The last time my husband and I were on a trip and eating out, we ended up ordering one entree plus an extra side and splitting. It was more than enough.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    I just try not to eat out that often at all. Then, when I do, I don't worry so much about what I order. It's a treat, not an every day thing for me. Because one day isn't what is going to make someone gain weight.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    well, I love cheesecake factory. I don't go there often, and these days I try to stick to a healthy salad when I do. yesterday, my chopped salad at lunch (from them) - with blue cheese, bacon, apple, romaine, corn, and a vinegraitte dressing (logged in as 2 meals- because I couldn't eat it all at one sitting) and about 500 calories for the whole thing.

And, every mouthful was DELICIOUS.
  • 603reader wrote: »

you are right: there's nothing inherently wrong with eating fat or sodium. or sugar. or protein. or carbohydrates. like, for example, there would be with eating drano. but for for the average joe, regularly eating 2000 calories of sugar and fat as a meal is not going to turn out well in the long run.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Sure if you're eating the entire meal. Very rarely when I go out do I eat my entire meal because it's just too much food. I've gotten 2-3 meals out of just one plate of food.
  • lishie_rebooted
    603reader wrote: »

you are right: there's nothing inherently wrong with eating fat or sodium. or sugar. or protein. or carbohydrates. like, for example, there would be with eating drano. but for for the average joe, regularly eating 2000 calories of sugar and fat as a meal is not going to turn out well in the long run.

The only thing I can think of that is only sugar and fat is olive oil mixed with sugar. And that was indeed a post of the forums yesterday. As a skin scrub.

No one is going to eat olive oil mixed with sugar. Unless they're dared to.

What restuarant meal is just fat and sugar?
    Because even that Sonic shake has protein.
    I couldn't find a PB Caramel shake on their site.
    But here's the PB shake.
    A large is 1640 cals and has 28g of protein.
    http://www.sonicdrivein.com/MenuItem/frozen-zone/real-ice-cream-shakes/peanut-butter-shake

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    from the new york times today, photos and descriptions of what two thousand calories looks like...

my favorite is the 2090 calorie shake from sonic. you read that right... a whole day's worth of calories in a single cup.

comparing the chain restaurant stuff to homemade meals is pretty strong support for the idea that the more often you cook at home, the less likely you are to be seriously overweight.

Wow, that was incredibly stupid. Intentionally choosing the highest calorie menu items in a restaurant, then intentionally choosing the lowest calorie items for home. Completely disingenuous. I could very easily eat at Chipotle for less than 2000 calories, and I can very easily make a home cooked meal of 3000 calories or more.

Complete waste of time article, other than to show off some great restaurant food choices to indulge in. It doesn't come anywhere close to supporting "the more often you cook at home, the less likely you are to be seriously overweight." Heck, I could bake a loaf of bread with about 1900 calories in it right now, then sit down and eat the entire loaf with 500 or 600 calories worth of butter. That's "home cooked," yet way over their 2000 calorie limit. It's not about restaurant vs home, it's about making intelligent decisions, no matter where you eat.
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    This was a great article to read. I'm curious what PF Changs does to spinach to make it 120 calories!? Calling Paula Deen and her butter wagon!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    If no one's claimed iHop...
    drooling%20boxer.jpg
  • Sure if you're eating the entire meal. Very rarely when I go out do I eat my entire meal because it's just too much food. I've gotten 2-3 meals out of just one plate of food.

but you aren't like most people i am afraid...

this past saturday i sat in a sharis (like dennys) for a couple of hours, waiting for someone. i had two poached eggs, two slices of toast, a slice of ham and tea. a pretty reasonable meal. and i watched the people around me order the normal sharis breakfast which, i would bet, averaged 2000 calories or more, especially for the folks who had the giant mocha latte.

not a single person in my sight left with a takeout box and nine out of ten people got their clean plate club stickers. the reality is that most people (a) don't split their meals down to reasonable portion sizes and (b) have little idea just how many calories they are eating when they eat out.

i mean, that is how us average folk - of which i am surely one - get fat in the first place. we are eating too much food, too often. and i think the point of the article is to help people understand the importance of (a) and (b) when they eat out.
  • lishie_rebooted
    edited December 2014
    Tikibar72 wrote: »
    This was a great article to read. I'm curious what PF Changs does to spinach to make it 120 calories!? Calling Paula Deen and her butter wagon!!

Saute in olive oil. or butter. maybe add cheese?
    I've never been to a PF Changs but it's not hard to make spinach high cal.

ETA: I looked it up. A small side of spinach is 120cals, 8g of fat. It's sstir-fried with garlic.

So half a table spoon of olive oil with 1.5c of spinach
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Ha, I've had that exact McDonald's meal at the bottom many a depressed lonely nights in the military.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Sure if you're eating the entire meal. Very rarely when I go out do I eat my entire meal because it's just too much food. I've gotten 2-3 meals out of just one plate of food.

this past saturday i sat in a sharis (like dennys) for a couple of hours, waiting for someone. i had two poached eggs, two slices of toast, a slice of ham and tea. a pretty reasonable meal. and i watched the people around me order the normal sharis breakfast which, i would bet, averaged 2000 calories or more, especially for the folks who had the giant mocha latte.

not a single person in my sight left with a takeout box and nine out of ten people got their clean plate club stickers. the reality is that most people (a) don't split their meals down to reasonable portion sizes and (b) have little idea just how many calories they are eating when they eat out.

i mean, that is how us average folk - of which i am surely one - get fat in the first place. we are eating too much food, too often. and i think the point of the article is to help people understand the importance of (a) and (b) when they eat out.

Get off your high horse. Seriously.

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

Yet meanwhile, I almost never go to a restaurant without seeing most people (at my table and others) taking to go boxes home with them. Funny how you can condition yourself to only see what you want to believe.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member

"Not a single person in my sight". Ok, so how about the people that you didn't see? The people who left before you came in? Those who came in after you? To say that no one gets take away from their table is pretty ridiculous. I almost always see people leaving establishments with to-go boxes.