two thousand calories in a single meal

Options

Replies

• TheWorstHorse
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Sure if you're eating the entire meal. Very rarely when I go out do I eat my entire meal because it's just too much food. I've gotten 2-3 meals out of just one plate of food.

but you aren't like most people i am afraid...

this past saturday i sat in a sharis (like dennys) for a couple of hours, waiting for someone. i had two poached eggs, two slices of toast, a slice of ham and tea. a pretty reasonable meal. and i watched the people around me order the normal sharis breakfast which, i would bet, averaged 2000 calories or more, especially for the folks who had the giant mocha latte.

not a single person in my sight left with a takeout box and nine out of ten people got their clean plate club stickers. the reality is that most people (a) don't split their meals down to reasonable portion sizes and (b) have little idea just how many calories they are eating when they eat out.

i mean, that is how us average folk - of which i am surely one - get fat in the first place. we are eating too much food, too often. and i think the point of the article is to help people understand the importance of (a) and (b) when they eat out.

Get off your high horse. Seriously.

that's actually funny coming from you.

at this point, i imagine this conversation is pretty much done. have a good day.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Boston Pizza's Baked Chipotle Bacon Penne (1470 cal) with a Caesar side salad (210 cal), garlic toast (180 cal) and half of the cactus cut potatoes to start (415 cal) for a grand total of 2275 cal).

That isn't what you're asking though. But... you know what? Food. That's what. Hahah I used to eat that meal at least once a week (and it wasn't my only meal).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Tikibar72 wrote: »
    This was a great article to read. I'm curious what PF Changs does to spinach to make it 120 calories!?

o-5-NEW-USES-FOR-VEGETABLE-OIL-facebook.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    andielyn wrote: »
    I love Men's Health "Eat This, Not That" --both the books and the articles they do that shows the calories in restaurant food and a better alternative. Cheesecake Factory always comes in with dishes absolutely loaded in calories, fat and sodium.

And there's nothing wrong with fat or sodium.
    In fact, some of us are supposed to eat higher sodium diets, like myself.

you are right: there's nothing inherently wrong with eating fat or sodium. or sugar. or protein. or carbohydrates. like, for example, there would be with eating drano. but for for the average joe, regularly eating 2000 calories of sugar and fat as a meal is not going to turn out well in the long run.
    well yeah- they either get fat doing it- or they don't do it that often.

it's pretty self explanatory.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Sure if you're eating the entire meal. Very rarely when I go out do I eat my entire meal because it's just too much food. I've gotten 2-3 meals out of just one plate of food.

but you aren't like most people i am afraid...

this past saturday i sat in a sharis (like dennys) for a couple of hours, waiting for someone. i had two poached eggs, two slices of toast, a slice of ham and tea. a pretty reasonable meal. and i watched the people around me order the normal sharis breakfast which, i would bet, averaged 2000 calories or more, especially for the folks who had the giant mocha latte.

not a single person in my sight left with a takeout box and nine out of ten people got their clean plate club stickers. the reality is that most people (a) don't split their meals down to reasonable portion sizes and (b) have little idea just how many calories they are eating when they eat out.

i mean, that is how us average folk - of which i am surely one - get fat in the first place. we are eating too much food, too often. and i think the point of the article is to help people understand the importance of (a) and (b) when they eat out.

Get off your high horse. Seriously.

that's actually funny coming from you.

at this point, i imagine this conversation is pretty much done. have a good day.

I'm on a high horse? LOL, no.

On the list of stuff you originally posted, I'd eat most of it - minus the things with bacon and the spinach from PF Changs - I don't eat pork and I prefer my spinach raw.

You're the one sitting here judging people at the diner. You don't know their lives. People practice OMAD. Could be a re-feed day. They could be bulking. That 3k meal very well could be a deficit for them and they practice IF. Helped a guy yesterday who needs 3700 cals. If you practice IF and go out for a meal, very easy to hit those calorie goals.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    If you practice IF and go out for a meal, very easy to hit those calorie goals.

Using an example that covers 0.00034% of the population doesn't help your position.

• kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The piece of cake "roughly the size of someone's head" looks AMAZING...

But yes, fast food restaurants have a lot to answer for, but then again, if as consumers we told these chains that we want lower calorie meals I'm pretty sure they'd deliver. It would be good business.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Using an example that covers 0.00034% of the population doesn't help your position.

You pulling a random number out of your *kitten* doesn't help either.

My point still stands. He doesn't know their life and can't judge them based off of that one meal he saw.

• Mr_Knight
    Options

You pulling a random number out of your *kitten* doesn't help either.

My point still stands. He doesn't know their life and can't judge them based off of that one meal he saw.

Since he did, he obviously can.

Obviously.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't find that this article enlightened me, but I do think it's kind of neat to see this comparison in pictures.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    My favourite is Boston Pizza's Baked Chipotle Bacon Penne (1470 cal) with a Caesar side salad (210 cal), garlic toast (180 cal) and half of the cactus cut potatoes to start (415 cal) for a grand total of 2275 cal).

That isn't what you're asking though. But... you know what? Food. That's what. Hahah I used to eat that meal at least once a week (and it wasn't my only meal).
    You. Me. Supper. Let's go.
    badass-i-like-you.gif
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    How the hell does PF Chang's manage to turn spinach into 120 calories?? That's a lot of oil.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    How the hell does PF Chang's manage to turn spinach into 120 calories?? That's a lot of oil.

See above, I did the math.

1.5c of raw spinach and 1/2T of oil gets you there.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »

See above, I did the math.

1.5c of raw spinach and 1/2T of oil gets you there.
    8 grams of oil, 100 grams of spinach = 23 cals:

8 * 9 = 72 cals from oil, 213 grams of spinach = rest of cals.

According to USDA, 30 grams of spinach is one cup, so 7 cups of spinach.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options
    One tablespoon of oil is ~13g -> 107 calories. That leaves about 60g of spinach, which is about two cups worth.

Anyway, the answers are all similar - it's basically all fat-calories from oil.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Some people don't do that, though. I tend to eat whatever's on my plate and on the 2-times-in-a year occasions that I do have leftovers in a to go box, they'll probably be consumed by the end of the night or thrown away.

I eat what's on my plate if I order a 2,300 calorie pasta from Outback Steakhouse or a 490 entrée from the light menu someplace. And although it sounds insane, I feel equally satisfied both ways. I guess people like me are why this website exists LOL.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The piece of cake "roughly the size of someone's head" looks AMAZING...

But yes, fast food restaurants have a lot to answer for, but then again, if as consumers we told these chains that we want lower calorie meals I'm pretty sure they'd deliver. It would be good business.

Psst ... They already do deliver lower calorie meals. I guess you missed the earlier post about how the article cherry picked the highest calorie meals at each restaurant.

It's not difficult to put together a < 500 cal meal at most fast food places.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I want Chipotle and Cheesecake Factory now. Crap. :(
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    One tablespoon of oil is ~13g -> 107 calories. That leaves about 60g of spinach, which is about two cups worth.

and I don't know anyone who measures out EXACTLY a tablespoon- I do my best to measure out my butter and oils- but 1 Tbsp just does NOT go that far.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

and I don't know anyone who measures out EXACTLY a tablespoon- I do my best to measure out my butter and oils- but 1 Tbsp just does NOT go that far.

Personally I would add a fudge factor to any number taken from PF Chang's official nutritional info.

A big fudge factor....