Texting during Workouts

Options
AUPerry
AUPerry Posts: 166
Okay, I don't know if it is just me, but I see this all the time.

I see people more into their phones than their workouts. There will be people on their phones obviously having an in depth conversation via text message (or checking facebook (who knows)) while doing their cardio work out.

I shouldn't care, but I find it a little annoying. If you go to the gym, you're trying to improve on SOMETHING. What is the point in putting minimal effort into something so you can text, when you could be hauling *kitten* instead?

What do you guys think?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Eh. It's better than texting while driving. :tongue:
  • kittycat613
    kittycat613 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've seen that as well. Last time I was at the gym there were a couple people on their cell phones the WHOLE time they were there. Like you said, I'm going there to improve on something and want to give it my all. I know my cell phone is a distraction, therefore it stays either at home or in my car until I'm done.

I was using my phone at first because it had a lot of my music on it (iphone), but it became too much of a distraction so I left it in the car or at home. :)
  • Ash10Dent
    Ash10Dent Posts: 75
    Options
    I forgot my ipod yesterday so I brought my phone in to entertain me. Sorry I can't sit on a bike for an hour without getting bored. If I don't have my ipod or phone I will get up and go because I get bored easily..lol.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty - but I don't have a full out conversation. I've tried to ignore it while I was running, but couldn't concentrate on my workout LOL (I use my phone as my mp3 player). But I either just read it or quickly answer it, and that's it.

But I have seen the people that text their whole workout hahaha!
  • kalelwifey
    kalelwifey Posts: 172
    Options
    i think if they are putting just as much effort on it as usual then no harm dun more power to em ..now if they are half assing it and not doing much just the motions then..um...yeah....their loss? But dont let it distract you from youurrr goall!
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm actually concentrating on my own workout so I could care less if other people choose to text instead of exercising. A long as they are not tying up the equipment when they are on the phone ( assuming they are texting and not actually working out) then its their business, not mine.:happy:
  • AUPerry
    Options
    I'm actually concentrating on my own workout so I could care less if other people choose to waist their money on a membership by texting instead of exercising. But that's just me:happy:

..riiight
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The only time it bugs me is if someone is stationary and hogging a piece of equipment/machinery so they can stop and text. If you want to text (or talk or whatever) then please MOVE.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I just worry about my own workout and try not to judge others to much.I mean really even if they are not working as hard as they could if they were not texting they are working more than they would be if they were sitting on their *kitten* at home
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm actually concentrating on my own workout so I could care less if other people choose to waist their money on a membership by texting instead of exercising. But that's just me:happy:

..riiight

oops.. I had edited my comment because I thought it sounded harsh! lol
  • AUPerry
    Options
    The only time it bugs me is if someone is stationary and hogging a piece of equipment/machinery so they can stop and text. If you want to text (or talk or whatever) then please MOVE.

I definitely agree, the gym has gotten very crowded lately (probably because it's almost summer time), but that's why it annoys me. It's not like I'm sitting there staring someone down while I'm working out. -_-
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

I definitely agree, the gym has gotten very crowded lately (probably because it's almost summer time), but that's why it annoys me. It's not like I'm sitting there staring someone down while I'm working out. -_-

I could understand it being annoying if they are not even moving
  • kalelwifey
    kalelwifey Posts: 172
    Options

Yeah then ill tell they *kitten* to get up ...but im rude tho lollll
  • Lshizz
    Lshizz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Was that you looking at me today? Haha, just kiddin'....I personally can't text w/ the stuff I do, 30 day shred, yoga, pilates, etc....but maybe if I was just walking on a treadmill, idk. To each his own I guess.
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    cell phones are not allowed on the floor at my gym. trainers will call members out on it. but it isn't so much of a problem because they have a jammer blocking service.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't really care...I use my iPhone while I'm on the elliptical. I don't pay attention to what other people are doing.
  • tiffanyjade09
    tiffanyjade09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do this, but only when I am riding a stationary bike and I make sure I don't go under a certain RPM.
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't mind people texting during their workouts... it doesn't affect me at all. However, yesterday at the gym a couple was making out on the treadmill. GROSS... this is the GYM... the one place that should be free of PDA!! It wasn't just a peck either. Gross, I don't want to see that while working out
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    If someone is really busy and doesn't have time to do both, it's better they multitask than sit in a chair doing their texting and vegetating. And gyms are BORING.
  • AUPerry
    Options
    I don't mind people texting during their workouts... it doesn't affect me at all. However, yesterday at the gym a couple was making out on the treadmill. GROSS... this is the GYM... the one place that should be free of PDA!! It wasn't just a peck either. Gross, I don't want to see that while working out

Hahah that is really weird.