fiber and aerobic exercise

Options
If I am at the limit on mfp fiber goals and I do 25 minutes of aerobic exercise that burn 500-600 calories a day, can I add more fiber to my diet to compensate for the burned calories?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I think of fiber and protein as a MINIMUM rather than a maximum if using MFP's numbers.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Are you logging this exercise? Because if you do, MFP's numbers adjust.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    If I am at the limit on mfp fiber goals and I do 25 minutes of aerobic exercise that burn 500-600 calories a day, can I add more fiber to my diet to compensate for the burned calories?
    Fiber for Women is now suggested at 40 g Daily. Just be sure to get in plenty of water as you normally would. :)

So it's not a problem at all adding more (than MFP suggests), in fact it's much better for us as someone shared MFP is quite low on the fiber side. When I change my stats I change my Sodium back down to 1500mg and my Fiber back up to 40mg.

Of course eating naturally it comes easy because a person tends to get fiber in their veggies, fruit etc., eating more packaged foods it's hard for ppl to get in enough.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Fiber for Women is now suggested at 40 g Daily. Just be sure to get in plenty of water as you normally would. :)

So it's not a problem at all adding more (than MFP suggests), in fact it's much better for us as someone shared MFP is quite low on the fiber side. When I change my stats I change my Sodium back down to 1500mg and my Fiber back up to 40mg.

Of course eating naturally it comes easy because a person tends to get fiber in their veggies, fruit etc., eating more packaged foods it's hard for ppl to get in enough.

Wait, what? When did that change from 25g? If so, what are guys at because 38-40g is what was recommended for men.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I think of fiber and protein as a MINIMUM rather than a maximum if using MFP's numbers.

Have to agree with this. Protein, fiber, and fat are minimum goals for me. I eat over my fiber goal almost everyday because of the veggies I eat.
  • andrewyonce
    Options
    According to medline, the recommended fiber range is 20-35 g/day, less if you are elderly. I assume this is how to much to consume without exercise. Eating too much fiber can cause constipation problems as much as too little. So I am a little cautious about going overboard on fiber.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    According to medline, the recommended fiber range is 20-35 g/day, less if you are elderly. I assume this is how to much to consume without exercise. Eating too much fiber can cause constipation problems as much as too little. So I am a little cautious about going overboard on fiber.

This is true, but as long as you are getting enough exercise, fat and liquids, it's unlikely you'll get enough fiber to cause problems without taking a supplement. The elderly often do not get enough of these things, which is why the recommendation is lower for them.

Also, not all fiber is absorbed by your body, so calories earned from exercise doesn't really affect how much you need the way it does other sources of calories.