Getting positive daily results.

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    fnub wrote: »
    This was merely a test over the past week. Nothing more. I'm not obsessed, just curious to see how my body is reacting to the new lifestyle changes.

So what did this test prove? You weigh less after you work out. Now drink some water for heavens sake.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    This was merely a test over the past week. Nothing more. I'm not obsessed, just curious to see how my body is reacting to the new lifestyle changes.

Dehydration is a lifestyle?!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I find it shocking that none of you could go more than 35 minutes without any water intake. How can you genuinely workout HARD and drink water at the same time? Oh yeah, you're stopping your workout to drink. Glad to hear that you guys seem to know it all. vsjfkujyhx6s.jpg

I find it incredibly hard to believe you work out at your max, all out, balls to the wall rate for 35 minutes straight.

I do HIIT but my intervals are not 35 minutes, and I'm pretty sure yours aren't either. Further, I am at the gym for 2 hours at a time . . . I think maybe 10 minutes total during that time is spent drinking water . . . I'm completely ok with that ratio if it means I am properly hydrating my muscles and my body.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

So what did this test prove? You weigh less after you work out. Now drink some water for heavens sake.

And I just want to add that I COMPLETELY agree with this. Even mild dehydration can interfere with fat metabolism so, if you really want to optimize results and lose fat not just weight staying hydrated is crucial.
  • acorsaut89
    edited December 2014
    Options
    To be fair, there are plenty of people who recommend frequent weighing and plenty of people who do it. I did it for nearly a year and even multiple times a day sometime and I don't think a mental health professional was needed! I was really trying to understand how various things affected my weight. While I agree with your overall point I would say that the key isn't how frequent you weigh but really how good is your understanding of what your weight means and having realistic expectations.

Yes - sometimes weighing frequently is ok for some people . . . IF, and I emphasize IF, you can understand that it's not going to go down every single day, for a variety of factors. And understanding that the trend, over a 4 - 6 week period, should be going down to see genuine progress. I think the way he is looking at this is unhealthy.

I happen to weigh less frequently because it is what I have found to work for me. With you doing it to see how different foods or factors affect your weight, I get it. I don't have an interest in that (right now - it might come at some point) and that's ok for me.

If you need some kind of positive daily result - which from his post, I understand to be that the number goes down - then it's become an issue and he is dependent on the scale, and that's dangerous territory.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It's probably best you not be a part of any military unit. You wouldn't last more than 30 minutes without your sippy cup.

NSV about the quotes though... Have a doughnut...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

It's probably best you not be a part of any military unit. You wouldn't last more than 30 minutes without your sippy cup.

Wow. Can you have a discussion without resorting to insults? Snark is one thing but really. And I find it hilarious that you are trying to back yourself up with exaggerated examples.

Extreme methods and now exaggerated examples. It's like a pattern is emerging.
  • fnub
    fnub Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is getting ridiculous...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Your experiment was ridiculous. But at least this thread is entertaining. I'm home sick and need something to read.
  • disasterman
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    To be fair, there are plenty of people who recommend frequent weighing and plenty of people who do it. I did it for nearly a year and even multiple times a day sometime and I don't think a mental health professional was needed! I was really trying to understand how various things affected my weight. While I agree with your overall point I would say that the key isn't how frequent you weigh but really how good is your understanding of what your weight means and having realistic expectations.

Yes - sometimes weighing frequently is ok for some people . . . IF, and I emphasize IF, you can understand that it's not going to go down every single day, for a variety of factors. And understanding that the trend, over a 4 - 6 week period, should be going down to see genuine progress. I think the way he is looking at this is unhealthy.

I happen to weigh less frequently because it is what I have found to work for me. With you doing it to see how different foods or factors affect your weight, I get it. I don't have an interest in that (right now - it might come at some point) and that's ok for me.

If you need some kind of positive daily result - which from his post, I understand to be that the number goes down - then it's become an issue and he is dependent on the scale, and that's dangerous territory.

I wish the forums would let us "LIKE" a post . Anyhow, I understand what you're saying and agree. The scale is a tough place to find daily affirmation for sure.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

I wish the forums would let us "LIKE" a post . Anyhow, I understand what you're saying and agree. The scale is a tough place to find daily affirmation for sure.

Most definitely! I find affirmations on the treadmill and with a squat rack . . . for me, and my goals, it's easier (and the progress seems quicker) when I look at it in terms of what I am capable of :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Stop obsessing over the scale.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Your experiment was ridiculous. But at least this thread is entertaining. I'm home sick and need something to read.

THIS except I am at work laughing the entire time.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Feel free to add some gifs... Or a glass of water....
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Yes, purposely dehydrating yourself just to see the scale go down IS ridiculous.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Yes, purposely dehydrating yourself just to see the scale go down IS ridiculous.

This is worse than crash diets.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

This is worse than crash diets.

Agreed! You don't mess around with dehydration!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I find it shocking that none of you could go more than 35 minutes without any water intake. How can you genuinely workout HARD and drink water at the same time? Oh yeah, you're stopping your workout to drink. Glad to hear that you guys seem to know it all. vsjfkujyhx6s.jpg

A 1% drop in hydration levels can lead to a 10% decrease in performance levels. Q. How much water are you drinking? Ans: DRINK MORE!!!

hydration-300x200.jpg

t1larg.athlete.heat.gi.jpg

http://strong-athlete.com/a-guide-to-hydrating-for-peak-performance.html
    Drink 2 cups of water two hours before training and continue to drink 1 cup (8oz) of water every 20 minutes while you’re training hard.

Also, there are numerous positive daily results that have nothing to do with some arbitrary number on the scale...just sayin'
  • disasterman
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've found that a night of drinking heavily will help me get more dehydrated and gives me great scale results the next day. Unfortunately, too much beer is bad for my long term goals.
    gmfmb0hodpoo.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I've found that a night of drinking heavily will help me get more dehydrated and gives me great scale results the next day. Unfortunately, too much beer is bad for my long term goals.
    gmfmb0hodpoo.jpg

I used to be a couple of pounds down after a good night out... But then a massive greasy fry up for the hangover every time soon balanced that out!