Are blood tests confidential from parents???

Options

Replies

• rachellll98
    Options
    No but you should tell your parents so that they can do the insurance part (unless you are not using insurance). They will not be mad about your blood test. They'll be happy that you're taking the initiative to address and improve your health, so tell them!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a mental disability which renders you in the custody of your parents or you have been deemed incompetent to care for yourself, if you are an adult your medical records are your own business
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    "My bloods"?

Doesn't sound like U.S. terminology.

HIPAA is a U.S. thing and OP hasn't yet confirmed or denied U.S. residency.

This ^

I can't place OP's "accent."

OP, look up confidentiality laws in your country.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I believe it is against the law to share some information (ex: a 16 year old girl that decides to get an abortion)...if you are over the age of 18, the information cannot be shared without your consent... Doctor/patient confidentiality. Regardless of relationship
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are over 18 they are not allowed to give out your medical information to anyone else they have privacy/confidentiality laws.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Here, in New Brunswick, they consider the legal age of consent as 16, so they can refuse/accept treatment and are given the right of privacy (unless waived).

Ontario also. At age 16 I had to sign consent for my own emergency back surgery because my father just dropped me off at the hospital and went home.

I think, being over 21, the OP's medical privacy is safe in most countries.
  • runlikethewind7
    Options
    "My bloods"?

Nope, not a US citizen or resident
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    "My bloods"?

That changes everything. Call your doctor and ask or look up privacy laws in your country.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I believe all the G8 countries, all of Europe will have privacy laws regarding health information.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »
    "My bloods"?

That changes everything. Call your doctor and ask or look up privacy laws in your country.

The Hippocratic Oath is taken by doctors all over the world. His doctor isn't going to say anything to the OP's parents without consent.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    "My bloods"?

The Hippocratic Oath is taken by doctors all over the world. His doctor isn't going to say anything to the OP's parents without consent.

I'll take your word for it. But if that's all it takes to protect patient privacy than HIPPA would not be necessary. I had to learn about HIPPA when I worked at a grocery store that had a pharmacy. Doctors are not the only way somebody can get your medical information. I seem to recall that the cases that were used in support of HIPPA involved people getting information from administrative support staff - and they don't take the Hippocratic Oath.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    They cannot get the results unless there is paperwork on file saying it is okay.
    One thing you will want to watch out for is if the parent is the primary policy holder, and you are under their insurance. They can most likely see where you go if a claim is submitted.

So if you are getting a blood test or medical procedures of a sensitive variety (like STI or pregnancy tests), it may be in your best interest to find one that will allow you to pay cash on a sliding scale, or not use insurance.

This is true. OP, if you are under your parents insurance, they will be able to see any lab work and medical procedures you have done. They will not however, be able to see the results.

Hmmm... I wouldn't trust doctors to keep those results private, even if they are supposed to. What if you have a previous consent form on file? Anyway, if you're living at home and asking your parents to pay for some sort of medical treatment (related to a bad blood test?), then they will likely find out anyway. When you move out and become financially independent, you'll have more privacy. For now, living with your parents and accepting their insurance, I'm thinking privacy would be tough. No matter what, I hope you get the support you need to work on improving your health. Good luck!

We update this annually at the practice I work for and even if I had it on file, for an adult child, I would call and confirm. It's simply not worth my job to disclose your info.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    "My bloods"?

Changes everything; you need to look up the rules for your country. Judging by your slang, I feel like you are in the UK. If so, look up the privacy laws for the NHS.
  • ShieldMaidenLeah
    ShieldMaidenLeah Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would call your doctor and be sure to talk to someone about your privacy making sure that when you started going that you never signed a medical info release form and if so you would like to remove it.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    "My bloods"?

I'll take your word for it. But if that's all it takes to protect patient privacy than HIPPA would not be necessary. I had to learn about HIPPA when I worked at a grocery store that had a pharmacy. Doctors are not the only way somebody can get your medical information. I seem to recall that the cases that were used in support of HIPPA involved people getting information from administrative support staff - and they don't take the Hippocratic Oath.

The Hippocratic Oath isn't a legal thing, it is an ethical thing and doctors take it very seriously. The legal stuff is more for other staff (receptionists) who have access to your medical information. They are the ones who are more likely to talk about you than your doctor.

Really. Your doctor will not say a word.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hippocratic Oath has nothing to do with privacy, it's about "doing no harm," etc., and the wording varies from country to country.

Some countries don't have privacy laws the way we're used to in the U.S. or Europe in the interest of "protecting" the patient. For example, if your elderly father has a slow-growing cancer, it might be considered more humane not to let him know since it would cause him unnecessary worry and he'd probably die of something else anyway. These sorts of attitudes existed in the States not long ago...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hippocratic Oath has nothing to do with privacy, it's about "doing no harm," etc., and the wording varies from country to country.

Some countries don't have privacy laws the way we're used to in the U.S. or Europe in the interest of "protecting" the patient. For example, if your elderly father has a slow-growing cancer, it might be considered more humane not to let him know since it would cause him unnecessary worry and he'd probably die of something else anyway. These sorts of attitudes existed in the States not long ago...

HIPPA does have to do with privacy. Any hospital I've worked for strongly enforced it and the health care system I work for now and for the past 7 years is no different. It's protects sensitive patient information. I can't just walk into the ER with my patient and start telling the janitor what is wrong with that patient. Not only can I lose my job but after its reported to the state I can lose my license.

Also, HIPAA is a law. So if you violate it the repercussions could be great.

Hippocratic Oath and HIPPA are two very different things. And HIPPA doe not apply to other countries...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    HIPPA has nothing to do with the Hippocratic Oath. HIPPA made it easier for information to be shared, not harder. People weren't supposed to be blabbing and looking up things that were none of their business before HIPPA came along, lol. Doctors were keeping confidences long before HIPPA showed up.

The Hippocratic Oath is not taken by all doctors, is not what most lay people think it is and is not legally binding.