• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Based on the calculation, weight 103.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you do actually weigh 103lb MFP will not let you set a deficit which is lower than 1200cal.

At 100-105 lb my MFP maintenance is 1200 ( I am much older than you) and my added workouts give me an extra 300 cal a day at most. I count my calories very carefully to make sure I get the best nutrition I can most days.

Proper tracking may give you more calories than you are guesstimating.

Do you track your macros even when you are doing a quick add entry?

Why can't you let your family know you want to weigh your food so you can eat at a deficit?

Why are you trying to eat at a 350 cal per day deficit?

Eat at maintenance.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You just need to budget the calories you have more cleverly

I like big, hearty bowls of food

Make big pots of go to food which give you huge volumes for 3-400 calories...eg a huge vegetable stew (squash, eggplant, zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, herbs, spices) and eat with weighed rice, cheese or a fish stir fry with Chinese spices, or egg white omelette on toast with veg and cheese or roast chicken and roast carrots and vegetables...find the tastes you like

Work out snacks for 1-200 cals that are go to foods

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    One possibility is that you're eating too many carbs. Starchy foods like bread and potatoes, and sugary foods like hot chocolate, will make you feel hungrier due to the insulin release. They'll give you energy for your runs, but the hunger is a given.

Another possibility (likely given your weight) is that you're already underweight, and the hunger is your body's way of telling you you need to gain weight, not lose it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My sister says she gets ravenous when she runs, which leads her to eat beyond her calories, so she doesn't run anymore (we used to train long-distance together) - now she just hikes instead. I don't have that problem when I run. When I burn a ton of calories I struggle to eat them all back. Maybe it's a difference in the macros we eat. Not sure. Good luck figuring it out. :) I will follow this thread and see if there's any good advice for my sister here.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how much weight are you trying to lose if you are 103lbs?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    With only a few pounds to lose, set your goal at .5 lb a week. Then eat a lot of protein, fat and veggies... but it's tough when you do a lot of cardio because I've found that I really need the carbs too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP is 103 pounds, runs every day, and is only eating 1200, and needs to lose weight..

something seriously off with this thread.

OP if you are running everyday then you need to have MFP set to more than 1200.

wat are you stats = height/weight/age/gender?

Do you run workout every day?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Lifting, I didn't fill it out correctly. I just put all my calories under one meal as quick add. But here is a summary: It's mostly pasta/breads/cereal/hot chocolate/a lot of lean protein/a little fruit/not a lot of vegetables. I'm not sure how much fiber I eat. I wasn't really aware of that. But anyways, at least for dinner I have to eat whatever my family is eating and it's mostly pasta/meat.

And for exercise I mostly burn about 500 to 1000 calories in a day. So my goal is 1700 to 2200 depending on the day, but I can't eat that amount without ending up feeling hungry and going past it by several hundred calories.

if you only weigh 103 pounds why are you worried about going over on cals a little bit?

you are hungry because your activity level is high and your calories are low..

eat more.

end thread/
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Agreed with ndj1979 - not sure where he got the 103 from, but the OP keeps omitting her stats which is a red flag, imo.

OP - Enter your stats and set your deficit on a healthy weight loss goal per week. The closer you are to goal weight the less weight you should lose per week. Then you need to start weighing, measuring and correctly logging your food. If you are over-eating then you may have to fight off a little hunger as your body adjusts. But if the 103 is right, you are most likely already at a healthy weight (assuming you are very short) and you need to focus on body composition and self-image issues if you are still unhappy with your body.

Best of luck.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    103 lbs. is not overweight for any adult and is a low BMI for women of most height. That's why you're hungry. Your body is saying "enough, you're going to do damage." It sounds like you have body dysmorphia, not a weight problem. Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Hunger is a weird thing. The vast majority of us have never actually experienced real hunger - but we all (and I include myself in this) think we feel it all the time.

there is a lot of truth to this.

Most "hunger" pains are what you would consider small arms in the war your body fights to stay alive- first line of defense.... when you start hallucinating- then you know you've reached a whole new stage of what being hungry really means.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you want to lose weight at 103 pounds.
  • mdreas
    mdreas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1. She won't post her stats.
    2. She weighs 103 lbs.
    3. She apparently does pretty brutal cardio daily.
    4. Her family (parents?) can't see her weighing her food.

I'm thinking this might be a teenager with an eating disorder. I hope I'm wrong but this is what it sounds like to me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Mdreas,
    I am thinking the same. Although I should say the weighing 103 lb was an extrapolation from information gathered from her posts; not information given by the poster herself.
    Her silence makes me think she is not liking what she is reading so will not come back and post at this point.

OP if you are still reading, but not wanting to post, please find someone you can talk to.
    If you are 5'1-3 you are at a low healthy weight and should eat enough ( at maintenance) to stay around the 101-107 weight range at least.

If you are unhappy with the shape of your body, try switching up your running to strength training 3x week. Start with something like nerdfitness.com, then advance to fitness blender, new rules for lifting, or any of the highly recommended weight lifting programmes on this site.

Adding strength training will help reshape your body, but make sure you eat back calories and eat all your maintenance calories to get the full benefit.
    This will help reshape your body, and should improve your self image, better than under eating.

This is just an option I am giving, there are plenty of other options that may work better for you.

Cheers, h.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mdreas wrote: »
    1. She won't post her stats.
    2. She weighs 103 lbs.
    3. She apparently does pretty brutal cardio daily.
    4. Her family (parents?) can't see her weighing her food.

I'm thinking this might be a teenager with an eating disorder. I hope I'm wrong but this is what it sounds like to me.

Yeah, that's why I haven't helped out since I asked if she would give her stats
  • kmwrege
    kmwrege Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I feel hungry I am actually thirsty. How much water are you drinking?
  • rachellll98
    Options
    Here is my update (edit: I know this is annoyingly way too long I'm sorry!). I am okay with posting my stats if it is required to receive helpful information from some people, though I don't think it matters that much? I am not hiding anything...

Stats: I weigh about 103 to 105 depending on time of day. I am 65 inches tall. I am a college student. Soon I'll be back at school. I can buy and eat any foods at school because on my own entirely for food so there are no limitations there. I'll have all the typical kitchen appliances.

Goal: My goal is first 102, then 99.8, then 98, but only if I feel it is healthy for me. If I am satisfied with 99.8, I will stay there. Once I get to 98 I will definitely be happy with that and will be done. I'm saying this so you understand I am paying close attention to health and wellness. If I ever feel a concern about my health, I will immediately return to normal eating. I have already decided this. (Also I was reluctant to post stats because people can't tell through the internet what you look like and might be judgmental. I have a very small frame size. So I can say with confidence that it is reasonable for me to want to lose just 5 to 6 pounds.)

Problem and Current Situation: I already explained what I am trying to do (eat less) and my problem (getting hungry, eating, ending the day with only a very slight deficit or no deficit). Based on the suggestions I received yesterday, I tried to eat more protein and vegetables. I ended up eating 2050 calories today so far so maybe it helped, though I might still get hungry and eat a snack and no longer have a deficit. I also have a huge problem with eating too much after I workout because I get really hungry.

I am most likely not interested in weight lifting because actually I am not interested in being bulky.

But overall, I am trying really hard to figure out how to successfully lose weight and so far it is not working at all because I keep getting too hungry and am not good at this at all. I would be happy to add in something new to try tomorrow (ex. today I focused on protein and vegetables, something that I think was helpful) to see if it is helpful for me. Ex. if the exercise is a problem, and I should play with that.

I am also interested in changing my eating to be healthier and fitter but not to lose weight, but only as more of a last resort.
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You have a problem. Get some help wb1db2jy5k77.jpg
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You have to consume excess calories and REALLY work HARD to bulk up. It's not like "Oop, I did some squats and now I'm huge!" Takes serious work and dedication to bulk. So if that's turning you off of lifting, rest assured that's not the case.

I've seen more difference in my body only losing 9 pounds and lifting heavy this last round of recomp/loss. I'm talking an inch and a half off my thighs, two inches off my hips, two inches off my waist. Down from size 10 to size 4 jeans since mid-October. I'm telling you, gurl - lifting is where it's at.