Thoughts on 'Vanity Weight'

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ES110791 wrote: »
    , because I think most people deep down don't care too much about health and it's all about the aesthetics.
    Seriously???

I find much in your posts very concerneing...

I'm in it for the healthy, anything that comes along with is extra awesome! To me lifting is part of the 'healthy' phase though.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You are NOT recovered. Anorexics are never recovered. Once you are anorexic, you are anorexic for life. Just like an alcoholic. You are in recovery for the remaining years of your life.

Not exactly the best way to put things and not fully accurate either, if eating disorders are cought in young childhood they can recover and never have another problem. Anorexia isn't terminal cancer and negativity is never the way to go.

Every single psychologist/psychiatrist I've worked with who specializes in ED's has said they would never refer to a client as "recovered" because someone with an ED can relapse at any given time. Therefore, they are in recovery. Recovery from anorexia or bulimia or EDNOS is an ongoing, lifelong process.
  • ES110791
    ES110791 Posts: 43 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    , because I think most people deep down don't care too much about health and it's all about the aesthetics.
    Seriously???

I'm in it for the healthy, anything that comes along with is extra awesome! To me lifting is part of the 'healthy' phase though.

Yeah, seriously. I don't believe the bros lifting in the gym are all that concerned about their health. They want to be 'ripped.' The girls signing up for 'Ahsey Bines Bikini Body Challenge' don't care about their health. They want the beach bikini body.

Most of the people I know who express a desire to lose weight or 'tone up,' are already a healthy weight and they only want to get slimmer for superficial reasons.

"Lose those lovehandles!" "Get ready for summer" "You best body EVER". Please. The weight loss industry is built on making people feel bad about themselves. If it was only aimed at people who genuinely need to lose weight for health reasons they would lose half the target consumer, and since the industry only appears to be growing i'd say they're getting business.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    you asked what we think. Most people said your at an healthy weight. Now what your going to do?
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for a healthy weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Op I think you look gorgeous just the way you are. You have my goal body!!
    Can I ask how tall you are, and how much you weigh?
    I'm 5"8 and 65kgs, and have 3-5kgs left to lose.

ES can you please answer above question :) And yeah I agree, most people want to look good, health comes second. That's how it was for me, but I only had a small amount to lose, so was never unhealthy due to weight to begin with.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Seriously???

Yeah, seriously. I don't believe the bros lifting in the gym are all that concerned about their health. They want to be 'ripped.' The girls signing up for 'Ahsey Bines Bikini Body Challenge' don't care about their health. They want the beach bikini body.

Most of the people I know who express a desire to lose weight or 'tone up,' are already a healthy weight and they only want to get slimmer for superficial reasons.

"Lose those lovehandles!" "Get ready for summer" "You best body EVER". Please. The weight loss industry is built on making people feel bad about themselves. If it was only aimed at people who genuinely need to lose weight for health reasons they would lose half the target consumer, and since the industry only appears to be growing i'd say their getting business.

Not everyone is a body builder. Not everyone is a bikini competitor. There are individuals who lose weight primarily for health but of course they want to look good too. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As you know, the problem comes into play when individuals become obsessed with looking good and being thin and begin engaging in unhealthy habits in order to get the results they so desperately desire.
  • ES110791
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you how much I weigh, sorry.

And I will not lose weight probably, just because I don't really have enough motivation and I hate calorie restricting. I could do it, and I could do it healthily, but I don't know if I can be bothered.

But as someone who is neither overly thin nor fat, I cannot help noticing how people my size are still constantly on about weightloss, even though it is unnecessary for them, or even if they're not actively trying to lose weight. Yes I think I would look 'better,' if I weighed less, and I don't think that's unusual. Take away the eating disorder and it's actually a totally normal thing for someone my age and weight to think. It's an unfortunate fact that we live in a society where women are made to feel so bad about themselves.

And that is why I was curious about whether people think vanity weight loss is still a good thing.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Here is how I look at weight loss (coming from an eating disorder background myself) You have to love yourself as is and realize that no amount of weight loss/gain will change who you are.

With that out of the way...If you happen to lose weight because you were not eating a healthy, well rounded diet and getting adequate activity, ok. If you are already living a healthy lifestyle, counting calories and working out and now you think "I need to do MORE" then maybe you should put a pin in that plan for a couple weeks and really evaluate. Relapse is a real thing and it can be a slippery slope.

For the record, no I would not say that you "need" to lose weight and I think you are already pretty slim
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You are NOT recovered. Anorexics are never recovered. Once you are anorexic, you are anorexic for life. Just like an alcoholic. You are in recovery for the remaining years of your life.

Not exactly the best way to put things and not fully accurate either, if eating disorders are cought in young childhood they can recover and never have another problem. Anorexia isn't terminal cancer and negativity is never the way to go.

Every single psychologist/psychiatrist I've worked with who specializes in ED's has said they would never refer to a client as "recovered" because someone with an ED can relapse at any given time. Therefore, they are in recovery. Recovery from anorexia or bulimia or EDNOS is an ongoing, lifelong process.

^^agree. I have been "recovering" for two years now. I don't engage in behaviors and I really do love myself and I finally have a realistic and healthy attitude on food, portions and my weight. However, if it were not for my child, given a bad day or enough stress I could go back to that in a heartbeat.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you how much I weigh, sorry.

And I will not lose weight probably, just because I don't really have enough motivation and I hate calorie restricting. I could do it, and I could do it healthily, but I don't know if I can be bothered.

But as someone who is neither overly thin nor fat, I cannot help noticing how people my size are still constantly on about weightloss, even though it is unnecessary for them, or even if they're not actively trying to lose weight. Yes I think I would look 'better,' if I weighed less, and I don't think that's unusual. Take away the eating disorder and it's actually a totally normal thing for someone my age and weight to think. It's an unfortunate fact that we live in a society where women are made to feel so bad about themselves.

And that is why I was curious about whether people think vanity weight loss is still a good thing.

So many people are unaware that they can change their entire body composition simply by weight training. If you are unhappy with the way your body looks, I highly suggest looking into body recomposition. At this point, I believe trying to lose weight is too risky and I think you will agree that it is not worth spiraling down that tunnel again when the same results (if not better), can be achieved by lifting.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'll put in my 2 cents. First of all, you look fantastic as is. Second, I honestly think that for you at this weight the only improvement can be done by shaping your body with weight training. I don't believe that anyone would look at you and say that you could use losing some extra pounds. I wish you luck and confidence!
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Health over vanity, always. The whole point should be about all the health benefits. It should be about YOU, not other people.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have set my goal at the upper end of the healthy range for my age/height. That said, I have a second goal which is 10lbs lower but still within the healthy range. I would say that second goal is my vanity weight.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don't want to share your weight, how about your BMI now and the BMI at the weight you want to be.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    coming also from a disordered background I am aiming overall for health, but aesthetics is always going to be a big part of it, because I need to be able to be happy with myself it's an on going struggle. You need to do what you want to, and just be mindful & careful of relapses, ensuring you have a support network.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

As a former addict and alcoholic, I disagree with that particular opinion. I've always found it interesting how easily that idea was accepted. Granted, I've never worked with a psychologist, and I have no clinical background that gives my opinion much weight, I just find it convenient that by convincing people of that, they are basically ensuring that they are never out of work. It certainly benefits them if they can convince me that I can never get well.

If moderation can't be learned by those who have established compulsive patterns of abuse and over indulgence...why are any of us even here?

Actually in the industry of mental health we treat alcoholism & EDs as both mental illnesses, relapse is very possible after the point of 'recovery' and that is why they are lifelong. My mom is now a 7 year recovered alcoholic if she were to have a drink now she would relapse into a very damaging cycle, this is coming from her self awareness. She still struggles if there is alcohol in the house & we are very careful to ensure that alcohol isn't used in any ingredients as like chocolate or paté.

These both seriously are lifelong struggles for the vast majority of people unlucky enough to experience them. Most people are unable to recover without intervention, so well done to you! that is thoroughly impressive.

- to add, i'm in the UK, so we have no targets & are paid a fixed wage, nothing benefits us personally other than the recovery & well being of our patients/clients, who do not pay for medical care. (we being the NHS)
  • ES110791
    edited December 2014
    Options
    All I know is that it's extremely depressing to think that a struggle with food will be lifelong. I know relapse is always possible, but I refuse to believe that you carry the disorder around in your head for the rest of your life. I believe a neutral relationship with food is possible.

An eating disorder is only a manifestation of a deeper problem, some kind of profound self loathing. For me: thoughts of being a failure, of 'sucking,' of not being good enough. I think it's unlike being another kind of addict because it's possible separate those thoughts from weightloss, and detatch the significance of it held by the eating disorder. You can't detatch the being drunk from the alcohol.