Breast size - are they much smaller after weight loss?

Options
Hello
For those of you who have dropped more than a dress size, have your boobs got smaller? My boobs are very big and I want to get them made smaller. I am wondering whether to do it now, as they are so big it is uncomfortable to exercise.... or to diet and lose as much weight as I can and just do low impact exercise, and see if they get smaller that way??

anyone with any advice, especially those of you who have had experience in this please let me know. Thanks :-)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's genetics. I lost 81 pounds so obviously I lost a lot there. They were huge and I hated them (40 DDD or something) but I realized that they were just really proportional to the rest of me. Now they look just fine for my weight (anywhere from 34 C to 36 D depending on the brand) and my hips are the last place I lose so I guess they match my 'curves'.

Personally, I would never consider any kind of surgery until I was at my goal weight. It's way too much money to spend on something that may not even be needed. Just IMO...
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    They will get smaller. How much smaller depends on how much you lose. I lost 13 lbs and noticed a difference.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have dropped 101 pounds and shrunk from a 38H to a 30F - even though "F" still sounds huge they are a TON smaller.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I was a 46DDD and now I am a 34DDD. At a larger bust I had to wear 2 sports bras to run and exercise. In terms of what you should do, depends on many factors. How much you intend to lose? Are you experiencing any pain? If so, consult with your PCP for options that will work for you. I wish you the best.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I did lose a bit from there, but as people said above, it's genetics. I think they are much smaller, but my friend who barely an A cup wouldn't say my E cup is tiny.

I highly recommend spending the money for a decent sports bra for exercise. It made a huge difference in my comfort level during exercise, and it also helps with the appearance. I know looking good isn't the priority during a sweaty workout, but I think anyone with large breasts knows what a difference having a good bra can have on your confidence and self-esteem overall and that can carry over to how hard you push yourself during a workout. I've had great luck with Panache, but I know a lot of women here also like Moving Comfort.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 40lb and my bust was previously UK 38ff (big!) and I am now UK 34d. Very much smaller.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20# and they are getting smaller (again). I've gained and lost about 20-40 pounds for the past 10 years and my breasts have ranged from 40D at their biggest (although, now that I know more about bras, I'm pretty sure I was in the wrong size bra at that time) to 36B. I'm currently a 36D after losing 20.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Very sadly, yes. Went from a 34F to a 32E, which is actually three cup sizes smaller.
  • ketorach
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I highly recommend spending the money for a decent sports bra for exercise. It made a huge difference in my comfort level during exercise, and it also helps with the appearance. I know looking good isn't the priority during a sweaty workout, but I think anyone with large breasts knows what a difference having a good bra can have on your confidence and self-esteem overall and that can carry over to how hard you push yourself during a workout. I've had great luck with Panache, but I know a lot of women here also like Moving Comfort.
    I just bought my first Panache bra. Love it. But I bought it online from a British lingerie site which was a pain. Where do you buy yours?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I just bought my first Panache bra. Love it. But I bought it online from a British lingerie site which was a pain. Where do you buy yours?

I've gotten mine from Bare Necessities - this is the one I really like, and ooh, I see new colors in my size.

http://www.barenecessities.com/panache-ultimate-maximum-control-sports-bra-5021_product.htm?pf_id=Panache5021&cmp=xyz
  • focusedonfitness2015
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs to hit my goal weight. I was a 36ddd prior to the loss, and I'm a 34ddd now. I dont think they got "smaller" just not as full and the bras fit me a little nicer now. I look nicer in them. I kind of liked my fuller look (prior to losing) but now that I am smaller, I am really enjoying it. Clothes lay nicer on my body and I look more in proportion, not to mention exercising is a little more fun too. I still bounce around but not as much. A good, supportive sports bra is essential! Unfortunately genetics will play a big part in how much you lose in the bust area. Good luck!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    They'll likely get smaller, but how much is determined in large part by genetics.

I've lost over 40 pounds and have gone from a 40H to a loose 36G. At goal weight (60 more pounds), I'll probably be around 32 or 34 DDD. I'm naturally busty though; was DDD or larger since I became a teen.

Some of my friends who were less busty when they were thinner lost far greater cup sizes than me. I know one that went down one band size and three or four cup sizes when she dropped around 40 pounds.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have lost band size, but not cup size. I thought after losing almost 70 pounds my bust would reduce, but not so far. A swim pal who has lost almost 200 pounds had breast reduction surgery in October. She looks and feels wonderful. Her bust now matches the rest of her curves.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mine did, but like everyone says it depends on genetics. Mine are back (well, size wise, at least, not in terms of everything, sadly) like they were in my 20s before I ever gained weight.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have lost a couple dress sizes-- not a SUPER dramatic change like some of the ladies here, but as a small-busted person, I definitely noticed a change-- they shrunk a good deal (my upper body loses weight far more easily than my belly/lower body). I don't wear cup-sized bras, but at my heaviest I was bra shopping since I felt like I needed more support than I had been accustomed to and was looking at 36 B/34C. I don't worry about cup-sized bras now but my guess is that I would be in a 32 B or 32 A-- a difference of 1 or 2 cup sizes.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I had lost 35 pounds roughly. I went from a 38B to a 34C.. Not really sure how that happened.. From what I read they are equivalent sizes.
  • ketorach
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I had lost 35 pounds roughly. I went from a 38B to a 34C.. Not really sure how that happened.. From what I read they are equivalent sizes.
    The number refers to the band size. The band should be snug against your ribcage. It should feel tight. So, if you lose fat, you'll likely need a smaller band size.

In the US, the cup size is usually a calculation of the difference between the measurement (in inches) around the largest part of your breast and the measurement (in inches) of your ribcage. That's how your band size can go down but your cup size goes up! :smile:

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    The number refers to the band size. The band should be snug against your ribcage. It should feel tight. So, if you lose fat, you'll likely need a smaller band size.

In the US, the cup size is usually a calculation of the difference between the measurement (in inches) around the largest part of your breast and the measurement (in inches) of your ribcage. That's how your band size can go down but your cup size goes up! :smile:

Thank you for the info! :)
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    Hello
    For those of you who have dropped more than a dress size, have your boobs got smaller? My boobs are very big and I want to get them made smaller. I am wondering whether to do it now, as they are so big it is uncomfortable to exercise.... or to diet and lose as much weight as I can and just do low impact exercise, and see if they get smaller that way??

anyone with any advice, especially those of you who have had experience in this please let me know. Thanks :-)

Mine are much smaller which is fine with me after 50lbs. How much smaller YOU will get depends on genetics and in part how much exercise you get to burn off fat
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs and went from 38F to 30D. Basically, they are in proportion to the rest of me.