Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options

Replies

• Shyntrue
    Shyntrue Posts: 4
    Options
    Love riding my bike. I will have to get some bike shorts & a new seat.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I took 3 mins and 10 seconds off my ride home time tonight :happy:

12.74 miles at an average of 17.43 mph...

I'm one very happy chap :bigsmile:
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    25 mile group ride tonight with a few decent hills. I need to get a road bike. Need to get a job first haha. Old fogies kicking my butt up and down the street. Great group of people though. A nice no drop club.
  • nissafull
    nissafull Posts: 48
    Options
    I love love love my Electra Townie! She is pink and her name is Bella. We do nice long steady rides together... Obviously, neither one of us are racers. But it makes for a nice slow burn of calories.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I love cycling....I am a road cyclist :smile: I ride 40 miles every Saturday and 25 miles every Sunday. I also put my bike on the trainer on Tuesdays and Thursdays and spin 12 miles.
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Count me in as someone who loves cycling! In the winter, my bike is on a training stand and I have been riding outside for a few weeks now but really wish that mother nature would start to give me a break with the wind, rain and cold! Try to ride about 20 miles a day during the week and log longer miles on the weekend.

Lucked out and got a week pass for RAGBRAI this year....it will be my first attempt at the full week's ride. I did 3 days last year and figure I am in better shape this year. So is there anyone else on here that will be crossing Iowa in July?

Jenn
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Its the 'fat tires' (tyres) which cause more friction because you have a larger contact patch on the road.

i.e. a 'normal' mountain bike tyre is 26" x 1 3/4" and inflates to approx 35psi. This tyre has a huge contact patch; ideal for off road purposes, but useless on the tarmac really, as you are kinda cycling through treacle. A 'commuter bike' would have 700 x 35 tyres which inflate to around 60psi. these tyres have a much smaller contact patch with the road, thus less friction, which allows you to progress on at a much better pace. Hybrid bikes on the whole have 700 x 28 or 25 tyres fitted to them which have a maximum psi rating of 120psi. These tyres have little on no deflection by the road and have a really low friction patch on the road. These tyres allow you to zip along! Drop handlebar race bikes have 700 x 23 tyres fitted to them (on the whole,) and are normally rated at up to 120psi (but can be as high as 160 psi!) These tyres have an even smaller contact patch on the road, thus less friction still and you can really fly along!

My commute (on my race bike,) is 12.8 miles. I do this journey in 45 minutes at an average of 17mph! I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks now, so this will get better as my fitness improves... I rode over 75 miles last week on my journey to and from work :happy:

good information to have! thanks! I have no clue what my tires really are, but they are pretty fat. Maybe I'll talk to my husband about just getting some hybrid type tires. Can you put those type on a mountain bike? I have a mid 90's Specialized RockHopper. Or maybe I just just start keeping an eye out for something on Craiglist. I live in Kansas City and there are tons of bikes for sale. Pretty good prices too.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Put in 22 miles on my Specialized Rockhopper yesterday. Average speed 13.5. That's the fastest and longest I've gone. I live in the southwest suburbs of Kansas City, so there are a few pretty good hills around, and a lot of gentle up and downs. I know my bike isn't capable of going much faster, so I'm considering looking into getting a good used hybrid or road bike.

I'm still not sure I want a road bike, but the 22 miles on the dirtbike made my knees hurt some and I was trying really hard to keep my gears down. But I'm also not sure a hybrid would make that much of a difference!

any advice would be most welcome! I have time to ride, I try and put in at least an hour and a half at a time now. I'd be happy to be out for 2 hours but my knees are telling me about it and I really really don't want to hurt myself unintentionally!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Windi

Hybrid bikes aren't a terrific idea, not great for either the road or off-road. If you are not wanting a road bike look at touring bikes, they look similar to road bikes but with longer wheel bases and hardier tyres.

Also, even with your riding on the mountain bike, I don't think your knees should be playing up, you may need to get a fit as your seat might be too low.

GG
  • KTGator
    KTGator Posts: 78
    Options
    Hi all!

Just discovered this thread =) I have a commuter bike that I use to get back and forth from work (it's a 4-mile round trip), in addition to taking it out for additional bike rides as time/weather permits! I'm still a newbie to the biking world, so the most I really bike right now is up to 6 miles, but that's mainly because I haven't taken the time to map out anything longer than that!
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Love biking! Started riding again when a few friends and I teamed up to do a small "spriint" triathlon. I got the biking leg and have found it an enjoyable exercise to swap out with running. Have ridden around town up to about 35 miles. Commuted to work two or 3 times (~ 17 mi one way). This year I am shooting for doing the entire "sprint" triathlon myself (if I can get the swimming down).
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Hi all!

Just discovered this thread =) I have a commuter bike that I use to get back and forth from work (it's a 4-mile round trip), in addition to taking it out for additional bike rides as time/weather permits! I'm still a newbie to the biking world, so the most I really bike right now is up to 6 miles, but that's mainly because I haven't taken the time to map out anything longer than that!

It is a great way to get to know your town better. I've lived in the same metro area for 16 years now and riding my bike around it has shown me a lot of new businesses, parks, and shortcuts I never noticed before.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oops! **Backs out of thread** ...I thought you meant the ones with motors. :)
  • fatcat72
    fatcat72 Posts: 1
    Options
    I also enjoy riding my bike & have been doing this for 1 year 2 times per week(around 8 miles each time). I find this very relaxing and love the fresh air.

Keep riding.

Kind regards.

Beverly.
  • angeleyes13
    angeleyes13 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi everyone

My cardio is mostly on my bike - even though I have done a lot of running in the past, I really don't like it and like the freedom a bike gives me.
    I have just swapped from a mountain bike to a road and trail bike (a beautiful special edition Lambretta - yes they make pushbikes too!!) and I love it - I live close the Thames in London and ride on the Thames path with my partner which is great.
    A
  • jjbranc
    jjbranc Posts: 27
    Options
    I just got back into biking and I love it! I bike to work (14 miles round trip) and try to stay out of my car all weekend. I take my bike to run errands. I love the exercise and the peaceful feeling I get.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Can anyone give me some tips? This is really dumb... :embarassed: I recently upgraded to my first road bike, from riding a hybrid for approx 15 months. The only thing is, I've noticed that I wobble really badly now when I'm signalling to turn left or right - which I didn't on my hybrid. The steering on my Scott Contessa (her name is Blue LOL) is much more twitchy than my Specialized Ariel. Is it just something I'll get used to???

Heehee I'm already finding longer routes to/from work so I can ride my baby Blue for longer - she's great! :happy:

Actually have to say I'm really embarrased. :frown: I thought I was getting a bit fitter/better/faster on my bike(s) - but my average speed is totallly rubbish compared to most people on this thread!! The lady who's only been riding a couple of weeks (Whiskey?) has a much higher average speed than me! :sad: How can I improve it? There are sections of my ride where I'm bowling along much faster and then I'll hit a hill and that stuffs me right up. I'd like to join a club of some sort but would be worried that I'm too slow... :frown:
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Oops! **Backs out of thread** ...I thought you meant the ones with motors. :)

I love those bike too, but alas I am restricted to pedal power only at the moment!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I took 3 mins and 10 seconds off my ride home time tonight :happy:

12.74 miles at an average of 17.43 mph...

I'm one very happy chap :bigsmile:

Nice going, what's your terrain and wind like?
    I've got lots of flat and then a big hill up on the way in to work.
    And since my route is horseshoe shaped I also have a nasty north sea breeze to contend with both directions.
    Tyres Tires

It's not a direct comparisson as the geometry and gearing is also different but
    On my touring bike with a fairly relaxed geometry and MTB Gearing my commute to work is around the 45 minute mark with Schwalbe CityJet 26"x1.5" Slick Tyres (These should go on the majority of 26" rims, if you're currently on standard MTB 26x1.9" tyres then they will fit)

On my Training Road (Another way of saying it's a "cheap" model) bike with traditional gearing (48/52 tooth cogs on front, and a 22 to 12 tooth rear) and 700x23C Conti UltraRace/UltraSport tyres I'm doing it in 35 minutes.

I switched from 26x1.9" Knoblies to 26x1.9" Slicks on another bike years ago, there was certainly a speed difference on hills and you can hear the difference in the resistance.