Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    lol, I thought I was the only one who ate bugs by accident on my last ride lol.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have EVER gotten to my fitness levels without my two-wheeled buddy...

fcc2283f-1.jpg

Nice bike!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    two pain related questions:
    1) how long will it take for my bum to stop hurting? i only started cycling again last week and despite a gel saddle and a gel cover on it my bum still hurts. thankfully its stopped hurting when i'm off the bike now but its still abit uncomfy when i'm in the saddle lol.
    2) the three outer fingers on my left hand are really aching since i've been using the bike, i don't think i'm holding on very tight, certainly not conciously anyway. any advice?
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Whiskey9890 I'll offer my two cents worth. One, it takes a few rides to get used to cycling. That includes the strain on the lower back and soreness from the saddle. You mentioned gel padding; be careful there. More padding does not mean more comfortable, in fact it can work against you. I'm not promoting rock hard saddles; I do have a gel saddle. But most of the padding should be in your cycling shorts. I use a thinly padded gel cutout saddle but with some high quality Pearl Izumi cycling shorts. I spend more than a lot of recreational cyclists do on shorts but they are worth every penny. Cheap shorts just don't do the job adequately. You do get what you pay for. But even with the best shorts your body needs a few rides to adapt.

As for the aching fingers, I have not had that issue but my guess is that the fingers are just complaining about being used in a new way and will adapt. Wraping around a thin bar is not something fingers are used to. My bike does have padded handlebar tape and that may help. Maybe someone with similar experience can weigh in on this issue.

Cycling is very rewarding and after a few base building rides you will find your fitness accelerating rapidly. If you don't already have one you may want to get a cyclometer so you can see your average speed increasing and length of time it takes to cycle your route decreasing. Cycling is the most rewarding (physically and emotionally) form of exercise that I have found.
  • whiskey9890
    Options
    thanks john, must admit i've not got padded shorts, still trying not to invest too much in the biking until i know i'm going to stick with it if that makes sense. and you are right about the fitness level increasing quickly, i already feel a bit fitter in the week and a bit i've been doing it, got a cycle computer on the bike (although it does scare me seeing how fast i go down one of the hills on the way home from work. average speed on my run to work is about 10.6 mph over 3.45 miles which is mainly uphill, did it for the first time this year yesterday and was a whole 15 seconds faster today even though i felt i was going slower, not a huge acheivement but i was dead chuffed and my cheeks lost their rosy glow a lot faster too lol. i'll keep plodding away at it
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Whiskey9890 - believe me, the shorts are crucial. They may make the difference in whether you stick with it or not. I don't like recommending spending money; spending more money does not always accomplish anything besides spending more money, and I am financially challenged right now myself. But cycling shorts are foundational for becoming a cyclist. To me cycling shorts are just part of the bike - both are essential to ride. My wife refused to wear them because of her appearance in them but after I bought her some she adores them. She still wears baggy shorts over them but she won't get on the bike without them.

PS: If you are averaging 10.6 going uphill you are doing great! And a fifteen second improvement with no more exertion is very encouraging. You may find yourself looking for longer ways to get to work so you can enjoy more time on the bike and see those results improve! And, 4/5 years ago I lost 55 pounds cycling and watching my diet. What a great way to get fit!
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    two pain related questions:
    1) how long will it take for my bum to stop hurting? i only started cycling again last week and despite a gel saddle and a gel cover on it my bum still hurts. thankfully its stopped hurting when i'm off the bike now but its still abit uncomfy when i'm in the saddle lol.
    2) the three outer fingers on my left hand are really aching since i've been using the bike, i don't think i'm holding on very tight, certainly not conciously anyway. any advice?

It took me about 2-3 weeks of riding 3 days a week for my rear to quit hurting. :) (And this includes using padded shorts. . . )
  • stenochick0417
    Options
    Along these same lines of aches and pains. . . my hands keep going numb. I bought some decently padded gloves and my handlebars are wrapped. Am I doing something wrong? It sure does get annoying after a while. :grumble:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Whiskey9890 - believe me, the shorts are crucial. They may make the difference in whether you stick with it or not. I don't like recommending spending money; spending more money does not always accomplish anything besides spending more money, and I am financially challenged right now myself. But cycling shorts are foundational for becoming a cyclist. To me cycling shorts are just part of the bike - both are essential to ride. My wife refused to wear them because of her appearance in them but after I bought her some she adores them. She still wears baggy shorts over them but she won't get on the bike without them.

I have to agree with this. My shorts save my butt. They are the most expensive article of clothing I own (seriously) and they are worth every penny. My butt still hurts but the more regularly I ride the less it hurts.
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    Along these same lines of aches and pains. . . my hands keep going numb. I bought some decently padded gloves and my handlebars are wrapped. Am I doing something wrong? It sure does get annoying after a while. :grumble:

Are you locking your elbows? Try to keep a slight bend to improve the circulation.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    +1 on the sillygoose comment, not sure why the prices had to go up so much, but they did. The quality is unbelievable now, and once you get a top-shelf pair you can't wear anything else... and that adds up quick. Sugoi RS are the best I have found, I take them above anything (Capo, Pearl Izumi, etc...)

Ray
  • stenochick0417
    Options

Are you locking your elbows? Try to keep a slight bend to improve the circulation.

No that I'm aware of, but I'll try to pay attention to that and see if that helps. Thanks!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options

No that I'm aware of, but I'll try to pay attention to that and see if that helps. Thanks!

Change your hand position from time to time as well. That's why road bikes have such funny shaped handlebars! If you're riding a flat-bar bike, get mountain bike style bar ends for it. You'll be glad you did.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    a few other considerations.....

> gripping the bar too tightly can be an issue too, when you get more comfortable with balance and posture you can lighten up the grip, let the hands sorta guide the bars and not clinch it
    > as said, a slight bend in elbows is good.
    > raise the bar, this can have a big impact, the higher the bars the less weight on the hands. You can increase this with the stem and stack height, maybe a shorter stem.
    > changing hand positions is key during the ride too (already said)
    > if you have flat bars, ergon grips will make it all go away... they rock

hope it helps, ride on my friends

Ray
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for a "bike to work challenge" for the month of May. It will be a 42 mile round trip. I will attempt to do it once per week. I have no idea if I will even survive the first day, but it will be fun trying!
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    I just signed up for a "bike to work challenge" for the month of May. It will be a 42 mile round trip. I will attempt to do it once per week. I have no idea if I will even survive the first day, but it will be fun trying!

Nice job! You can do it. I would ride to work if I didn't have to drop my daughter at school everyday
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Are you a cyclist anyway, or starting from fresh? Is the journey all on tarmac roads, or are there some off road bits to ride too?

21 miles is easy doable on the right bike; don't jump on a mountain bike with fat nobbly and expect to find it easy doing that distance on the road. You'll need slick tyres on it (and have locked out the suspension if it hyas any!)

My suggestion would be to get a 'hybrid' bike (flat bars, but 28mm 25mm or 23mm tyres,) or better still a full on 'road bike' (drop handlebars and 25mm or 23mm tyres.)
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    As of this morning in my virtual SF->NYC bike ride I crossed the Nevada border and will be in downtown Reno by the end of my evening commute. I had to ride into a brisk west wind this morning, but at least I didn't have any bugs in my teeth.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options

Good for you! 21 miles one way before work is definitely doable, wish I could do it as well!
  • whiskey9890
    Options
    i'm missing my bike, i think cycling could actually be "my" exercise, as i have previously said i only dusted it down again a couple of weeks ago, but this is the second day i've not been on it and i'm itching to get out on it, i think i may abe able to justify a new bike if this carries on much longer!