Bicycle Fans - official thread for people who love riding th

Options

Replies

• yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Do you need to attach anything to cyclemeter? I used cyclewatch and mapmyride yesterday but you need to buy an additional kit to monitor your heart rate and calories burned :/

Nope; just register the app, enter your weight in the settings & away you go... You can configure it however you want it & it even e-mails the results to yourself and whoever else you nominate!

It costs £2.99 in the UK and it's worth every penny!

Have a look & read the reviews in the app store.

I've also got a Dahon iPhone mount to sit the phone in as I cycle, so I can watch my stats...

I bought the nike + gps iphone app a while ago, only £1.19 and tracks my route and distance really well, I use it to track walks and the occasional run too but Ideally I would prefer it if it was less set up for running and more for other activities too.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    We rode 10.55 miles today. And for all the Walmart bike haters, my comment really wasn't for you. It was for people who can't afford a bike and would like one. You can stop making neg comments about it now, ty.

I have online friends who live in a trailer in the deep south & are flat broke but would like to ride a bike. Their only access to any shop is Walmart. There are no "bike shops" near them. Plus all kinds of people are broke these days. No reason to *not* *ride* especially when they're broke, can't afford petrol, etc. There is no "craigslist" for a lot of rural area and poor area people, and plus getting a used bike for people that are regular bikers is dodgy, so my comment was for people who Would Like To Ride and have about $100 or less to spend on a bike.

Anyways, carry on...sorry to disrupt this wonderful thread, just getting sick of person after person saying neg things about what I said about buying a bike at Walmart. There's nothing wrong with buying a bike there!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I'll climb in some spandex and cape to save the day.... haha

OK, this bike dilemna, money, where, and everything else is pretty simple......

If you've got $10, or $100,. or $4000 buck for a bike, whatever, just ride.

I have built a complete, sweet bike, from parts that are to be thrown away. I salvage tons of parts, and took an old steel frame and built a sweet ride out of it. Envy of my bike club actually, a true hard-core bomber. Investment is mostly love.

I know people who comb garage sales for that 15 year old panasonic, or schwinn, or anything that rolls well, slap a $20 on the table and roll into the sunset....happy.

My kids ride walmart bikes, smiling the entire time and have no clue they are riding a 40lb tank with substandard parts. They ride them till the wheels fall off....happy.

Then... what I learned, is that spending more on a bike is a worthy investment. I also buy every bike from my LBS (local bike shop), because bikes need maintenance and I like the extra attention I get from buying at the shop. I also learned, for me, it is a better investment to get the bike I want instead of upgrading every few years. I am happy.

SO, the moral of the story is get some wheels under you and roll. If you learn that a cheap bike wears out, who cares, that's a cheap lesson to learn. If you prefer a high end ride, fantastic, just stay ahead of the walmart bike....hehe.

Hope everyone got in some good rides, but a goose egg for me. I was out of town seeing family for Easter which was a true blessing. This week should allow me a few turns of the ole chainring.

Ray
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Heh, happy Easter everyone! I just ate a good chunk of my Lake Champlain Easter Bunny. It's without it's head & ears now! Good stuff!

And I only buy from our LBS, local bike shop! :)
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love my bike! But I have to confess I am a Fair Weather Cyclist..you won't find me out there in the cold and rain!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i'm still alive after cycling to work only took me 20 mins which isn't bad as i allocated 40 for it, the hill almost killed me but i got to the top and kept on going (used to stop at the top for a breather) my legs still feel like jelly almost 2 hours later, thank heavens its downhill on the way home, just got to remember to watch out for the dead badger ewwwww
  • j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    just got to remember to watch out for the dead badger ewwwww

LOL!

bunny hop it!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

Here's a couple of websites with great choices of clothing!

http://www.terrybicycles.com

http://www.teamestrogen.com

Thanks for the links. I'm kinda looking for something that doesn't scream 'bike gear'. lol. I'm not a pro but just wanted to know what type of casual clothes people wear when they cycle. I found a link more to my liking for anyone who is interested. I don't think all the cycle fashion on it is all that practical but looking pretty on a bike normally helps motivates me :P

http://ridingpretty.blogspot.com/

I wear the cycling gear because most if it is for practicality. I wear shorts with good padding but they have over shorts with them because I am not so cool with wearing spandex. I love jerseys because they keep me nice and cool. A good pair of shorts is worth the investment. My SheBeest shorts are actually the most expensive article of clothing I own, but I found a cheap jersey at ****'s for $15. I admit, I like to look cute when I ride and flash a little cleavage. :blushing:
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    No ride this weekend because of crappy weather. :grumble: I did manage to hike a few miles and break in my new boots. I love to bike but I also have to get in shape for backpacking this summer.
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    Just found out last week that my fitness center has finally added some spinning classes. I have wanted them to get a class(es) started for a couple of years now. This should really help supplement my road mileage workouts. Yippee!!
  • NowGoWorkout
    Options
    I wouldn't have EVER gotten to my fitness levels without my two-wheeled buddy...

fcc2283f-1.jpg
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am VERY glad I found this thread! I just stared biking/cycling and have taken on a rather large challenge. I signed up for a 100 mile century ride in July...that is 2 months, 3 weeks and 6 days away! :noway:

SO...here I am! Advice please!!!! here is the background on myself and how I came to signing up for the Trek: 17 months ago I was 263 lbs, depressed and a joke. I woke up, turned my life around and decided I was going to complete day 1 (100 miles) of the Tri-State Trek, which bikes from Boston, MA into NY state. The Tri-State Trek raises money for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) - day 1 is named after my father, who passed away in 2008 from ALS. He completed (while sick) the entire ride of 270 miles in 2006. I owe it to him and myself to at least complete day 1.

I have kicked *kitten* in my spinning classes and since I live in Boston, MA I have only been able to actually get on a bike more recently. Though, I feel as though my bike is a bit big for me... how much do bike fitting appointments run? and will I just have to invest in a new bike if it is indeed to big for me? It was my father's bike and he was 5'10 - I am 5'5. Also, those who track their progress, I've noticed a lot of people use their iPhone and download apps...unfortunately I have a blackberry and I haven't been able to find something that will track my distance? Is there such a way to track how much distance you can do in the spinning class as well?

Sorry for all my questions, I am a complete novice and need all the help I can get!

Thanks so much!
  • sillygoose1977
    Options
    Hello! I am VERY glad I found this thread! I just stared biking/cycling and have taken on a rather large challenge. I signed up for a 100 mile century ride in July...that is 2 months, 3 weeks and 6 days away! :noway:

SO...here I am! Advice please!!!! here is the background on myself and how I came to signing up for the Trek: 17 months ago I was 263 lbs, depressed and a joke. I woke up, turned my life around and decided I was going to complete day 1 (100 miles) of the Tri-State Trek, which bikes from Boston, MA into NY state. The Tri-State Trek raises money for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) - day 1 is named after my father, who passed away in 2008 from ALS. He completed (while sick) the entire ride of 270 miles in 2006. I owe it to him and myself to at least complete day 1.

I have kicked *kitten* in my spinning classes and since I live in Boston, MA I have only been able to actually get on a bike more recently. Though, I feel as though my bike is a bit big for me... how much do bike fitting appointments run? and will I just have to invest in a new bike if it is indeed to big for me? It was my father's bike and he was 5'10 - I am 5'5. Also, those who track their progress, I've noticed a lot of people use their iPhone and download apps...unfortunately I have a blackberry and I haven't been able to find something that will track my distance? Is there such a way to track how much distance you can do in the spinning class as well?

Sorry for all my questions, I am a complete novice and need all the help I can get!

Thanks so much!

First of all, congrats for having such ambition!

A good bike shop will probably adjust your bike for free or very little, especially if you tell them your story. Five inches is quite a difference but hopefully they can make you more comfortable. I'm sure it would be special to you to ride your dad's bike. You can get a good bike computer to track your miles/speed/cadence for about $50. I'm not sure how to track distance in spinning. I wish I knew too. I wish you the best!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    What do you girls wear when cycling?

The stuff you get in bike shops aren't exactly very flattering. I want something practical yet chic! It's so lovely outside and its great not having to wear so many layers. Cycled for five miles the other day and almost had my clothes caught in the chains a couple of times. Not impressed. So maybe some cute shorts for when I cycle later today? Or above the knee skirt?

What app do you guys use?
    I've been using mapmyride but going to try cyclewatch later because it has calories burned info that might be helpful.

Here's a couple of websites with great choices of clothing!

http://www.terrybicycles.com

http://www.teamestrogen.com

Brenda, Thanks for the sites, cute stuff!!
  • NowGoWorkout
    Options
    Kaye,

PM me, and I'll give you what you need. One thing...you have almost 12 weeks, and already have a good base of cardio built up on the stationary bike. I say change your goal from completing day one, to finishing the whole thing. You CAN do that, and if you focus, you can do it happily in a minimal amount of pain.

You need time in the saddle. This is the NUMBER ONE requirement. Spinning classes are great for offseason, but nothing will get your prepared for long rides better than sitting and pedaling your bike. Again, friend / message me, I'll help you out with your bike fit issues and training.

Now go workout.

SSG

Thanks so much!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I am sure SSG will have a good program for you, but if you need any supplement info I am good at bike fitting too, I do this a lot for friends etc... I am crazy about geometry and "fit" of a bike, down to every mm on every tube. Your LBS will be a great place to start too.

I completely agree on spinning -vs- riding, that's why I ride all winter in the snow, I hate being behind once spring comes. I often do 100-200 mile single-day races in the early spring, and you need real miles for that.

Let me know, and again I am sure SSG will have great info too [thanks for that!!!]

Ray
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Today it was lightly raining, but I decided to toughen up and ride anyway. It was a great ride. The usual 10-15 knot wind didn't kick up until the final mile which made the ride much easier than usual.

One question: Should I log the bugs that I ate? They kept flying into my face and I'm sure a few made it to my stomach. :wink:
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Today it was lightly raining, but I decided to toughen up and ride anyway. It was a great ride. The usual 10-15 knot wind didn't kick up until the final mile which made the ride much easier than usual.

One question: Should I log the bugs that I ate? They kept flying into my face and I'm sure a few made it to my stomach. :wink:

Many years ago my cousin responded to a question about consuming bugs while cycling by saying "I like the green crunchy ones." Be sure to include the protein if you log them.
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options

Many years ago my cousin responded to a question about consuming bugs while cycling by saying "I like the green crunchy ones." Be sure to include the protein if you log them.

I like the ones that get stuck in the back of your throat the flavor lasts a long time.:bigsmile:
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    How about the bugs that get stuck in your front teeth and you don't even know it.... :smooched: