How many calories did you have for Christmas? 7,000?

Options

Replies

• freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    around 2500-2800. I cooked my own food and used Cooking Light recipes for everything. No pie, no gravy and yogurt butter. We ate an organic chicken roasted in my crock pot with veggies. Most fattening part of it was the stuffing. I didn't work out either but hit it hard yesterday and today.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    1850 on maintaining
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking after Christmas Eve. I didn't think I ate very much though, maybe 4-5K total each of the 3 days of seeing family. Not a lot considering I pack away 3K+ everyday
  • AndrewWood97
    AndrewWood97 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Entered in all of my foods and consumed 3,230 calories
  • VegetalienPleurnichard
    Options
    I ate 1,932
    so more than i wanted to, but most of my calories came from breadsticks and such
  • dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine eating 7000!! What do these people eat normally?

I didn't add up but I'd guess around 2500. I had a light breakfast: smoothie with greens/banana/unsweetened coconut milk, one Kashi waffle with no syrup or butter, and a portabella veggie burger patty with a bit of mustard.

At my mom's house we had cocktail shrimp as an appetizer, I had a few of those. Then for Christmas dinner we had beef rib roast with mushroom sauce, homemade macaroni and cheese w/ onions, stuffed shells, baked potatoes w/ butter, and green beans (best Christmas dinner ever!). I also had a glass of raspberry wine and a glass of white wine.

However then afterwards we went for a walk around the neighborhood for about 1.5 hours (it was really nice outside and my family likes going for walks). So that burned off a couple hundred calories.

Then we came back and had a dessert extravaganza...I had half a slice of chocolate cream pie, half a slice of banana cream pie (both made with all-natural ingredients by a local bakery...they were amazing!), an Italian butter cookie, a couple of biscotti, and two cups of tea with milk.

I did get hungry again later in the day after we got home so I had some of the leftover mac and cheese my mom sent us home with (my mom makes the best mac and cheese, I'm sad it's all gone).

Throughout the day I never felt like I ate too much. I've never been able to eat a lot at one sitting, and sometimes these family events, like parties and weddings, where you are expected to eat can be stressful to me for that reason. But I felt like I had the perfect amount for a "cheat day." When my mom was making our plates I just asked her to have smaller portions than everyone else, so I could have a bit of everything but not feel too full.
  • melaniedelane
    melaniedelane Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was determined to stick to my diet, and I did it! I had 896 calories. And I cooked a big Christmas dinner for my family, ham, dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and gravy with rolls. It was not an easy thing to do, but I managed. And felt extra proud of myself. I really want to show my transplant doctors when I go back, that I can do this. And I thought of all the exercise I would have to do to burn off those calories. I am really glad its all over!!! Whew...
  • dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ok I just added it up. It came to about 2700 (my maintenance calories are 1810) and I burned off about 208 calories from walking. Not too bad I'd say.
  • packer43064
    packer43064 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't keep track on holidays. I mean I make stuff up on the diary,but c'mon I'm not losing my streak!

Worst case scenario I eat over 3500 cals and gain a pound....whoop de do. The food was delicious and it will just take me a bit longer to lose weight.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,420 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    alinedera wrote: »
    I used to eat 1300 a day and these days my brother comes back home and my parents are feeding us a lot of delicious and of course unhealty food. I try to keep eating around 1300 each day, of course with full fat foods. I'm wondering, will I gain weight if I eat 1300 with mostly fatty foods?

I don't think so. As long as I stay within calories, the only thing eating crappy food does to me is make me FEEL crappy. The crappy food that makes me feel the worst is high sugar/high fat combo stuff. Doesn't have any effect on my weight, though. You'll be fine.

I eat 1350 cals of fatty food everyday (100+ grams of fat) and lose weight consistently. Calories are king.

• ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    ksolksol wrote: »
    A huge breakfast on a day when Mom's already busy running around the kitchen? 1200 calories worth of appetizers, nuts and chips before dinner?

When I was a kid, we actually got in trouble if we ate much between breakfast and Christmas dinner. We weren't supposed to spoil our appetite for dinner. So, no piles of nuts and chips and appetizers in our house.

That's how it was for me growing up and that's how i am with my kids.

First thing in the morning is coffee for the adults and hot chocolate for kids, that counts as breakfast. Then after the paper shredding is over we go back to the kitchen for bagels and cream cheese. I guess that's a sort of brunch. That's it before dinner which we now have at a normal dinner time and not as a late lunch.

Things like pretzels, chips and nuts are nowhere to be found at a holiday with my family and Tthe cookies stay hidden until after dinner.

Same here. For us, it was always a small breakfast -- I think usually fried kielbasi and toast or something -- and then either help in the kitchen or stay out of the way until the rest of the family started arriving! At which point there'd be shrimp and pickled herring out and everyone catches up with the aunts and uncles and waits for more present opening and the big dinner. (Before which, do NOT steal the cookies!)

This year I put out cookies for guests because I wanted to make as sure as possible that they'd all get eaten up and not stay around after Christmas to magically jump into my hands :smile:
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1800, which is 300 over budget. I've been on track for most of these holidays, though, so I'm not stressing.
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    More like 5000... And I'm not sure if I'm including the cider I drank as if it was water
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Good god, 7000! I didn't track that day so who knows. I also made and consumed quite a bit of pecan pie baklava...oh and wine, lots and lots of wine :)
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So apparently the average American consumes 7,000 calories on Christmas Day (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/calories-average-american-eats-christmas/story?id=27816914)!
    How many calories did you have on Christmas Day?
    :smile:

I went over by 2600 :(
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Not nearly that many, probably in the 3000-3500 range, despite my mom trying to make me take the pumpkin pie home.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I didn't log Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but if I were to guess, I probably ate 3,000 calories each day. I woke up on Dec 26th feeling positively nauseated, so I downed tons of water, green tea, and healthy foods. I worked out yesterday and today and am feeling like I've already canceled out any ill effect. ;)
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I chose not to log, but Christmas is the time that we cook some really rich foods. I would estimate I ate about 3000-3500. I felt awful yesterday from it, likely because of all the dairy (I'm lactose intolerant).

However, it was nothing like that article... no appetizers, only one dessert, and I only drank water. But I did eat a lot of cookies and things that people brought, as well as nibbling on the cinnamon pull apart we made for breakfast throughout the day.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I had a little less than 2000.
  • madamepsych0sis
    madamepsych0sis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A little under 2000. Still way under my calorie goal, but hey it was my birthday and I had to eat some cake!