Why can my husband eat ridiculous amounts of food and not gain a pound and I can't?

Options
My husband is thin. He hasn't always been though. He's 5'11 and at his heaviest weighed around 180. Due to lifestyle change, improved eating habits, and so on, he now weighs around 165. He's very thin but eats sooo much. He can eat a large bag of chips, whole box of whole wheat spaghetti filled with butter and sauce, and a small baguette before he's satisfied. He can eat like this every day and still won't gain a pound. He does not exercise and has a sedentary job. For breakfast, he'll drink a grande green tea frappucino with whipped cream and eat a vegetable and fontiago sandwich (900 Calories). And he can always eat no matter the time of day. I mean just don't get it. I work out, monitor my intake, and I don't have a sedentary job. If I ate like that, I'd gain weight right away. Why is this?

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Genetics.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It'll catch up with him one day ;)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So he's eating like 3000 or so calories. That isn't a lot for a 30 year old (I assume he is the same age as you).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know.

Most people can eat more than I can. If most people my size averaged 1200/day, they watch the weight fly off. I struggle.

On occasion, I'll start being jealous of someone else or doing the "I wish I could eat that much" thing. I quickly remind myself that there are others who cannot lose and what life was like for me when I couldn't lose. Then I remember to be grateful and happy with my weight loss. It generally comes naturally, but once in a while I have to remind myself.

Try not to compare yourself to others. There is almost always someone better or worse and that doesn't change you a bit, so just forget about them. :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    D

Doubtful...why would you even think that?

he's only 30... my hubby was the same. Once he hit 45ish the weight started piling on. He just can't eat what he used to and still stay slim.
    I was the same in my 20's and 30's. I could eat what I wanted and not gain weight. However, once I hit 40 that all changed unfortunately. Now I have to work at staying at a healthy weight :(

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Because your caloric needs are different.

As a man, he requires more calories just in general.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Over-active thyroid?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I think it's called genetics that provide an above average metabolism coupled with age. I am 20 and basically the same way. I am mostly sedentary, but those around me are amazed at what I can eat despite the fact that I'm very skinny.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It just seems that way.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I used to think my thin husband ate "a ton". But he is 30, works and active job, eats lighter in the day, and takes in most of his calories in the evening before bed.

He was playing around with myfitnesspal, and found out he averages 2,500-3,000 calories per day, not including the activity he does.

SO, not really that much. It just looks like a lot because he takes them in a go.

Edited to add- My husband is only 5'7, so your hubby needs more calories than mine does, at 5'11.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of different reasons and variables that cause this.

Another thing lots of people mention on these forums...some people either overeat or even binge, for years and years, and still don't reach ENORMOUS size. For example I have been up to 307 lb, I have many friends who I guarantee ate more than me and their heaviest weight was maybe 200-220 lb. I have also met people on these forums who have weighed 400. It is calories in/calories out to a great extent but there are genetic, age, and health related reasons that one person eating a LOT gets to just 200, rather than 500 lb...sorry I went a bit off topic but I have seen that come up a lot.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Does he log his calories on here? If not, your perception of his total average intake can be vastly off. And as a guy he requires more calories. Heck i am a 32 yo male at 5'11 and 180 and maintain at 2500 without exercise. Which is a lot more than most active women.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I do think it is genetics and age. My husband is like this. I cook his food and we also work together all day, so I know what he eats - about 3500 calories a day minimum. But he is 6'3", young and muscular with very little body fat, and I am 51 and not muscular, so I need an awful lot less. There is a downside for him - if he undereats, he sheds weight very fast and catches anything going. He has to keep eating lots and sometimes he wishes he didn't have to.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Because life is unfair.

And wait until he's older and thinks he's average weight when he has 20 extra pounds plus on him. ;-)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

You mean like it caught up with me?

Oh wait, it didn't.
  • Christine_72
    Options

You mean like it caught up with me?

Oh wait, it didn't.

It did for me and hubby, and most people I know who are over 40!

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    life is not fair
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Different metabolism. I have non identical twin boys. The thin one eats constantly and in huge amounts but stays stick thin. His taller twin has to be careful with whats he eats and the amount that he eats, and has to stay physically active or he puts on weight very quickly. They have always been like that.
  • thejoshperson
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote: »
    bnmoyler wrote: »
    My husband is thin. He hasn't always been though. He's 5'11 and at his heaviest weighed around 180. Due to lifestyle change, improved eating habits, and so on, he now weighs around 165. He's very thin but eats sooo much. He can eat a large bag of chips, whole box of whole wheat spaghetti filled with butter and sauce, and a small baguette before he's satisfied. He can eat like this every day and still won't gain a pound. He does not exercise and has a sedentary job. For breakfast, he'll drink a grande green tea frappucino with whipped cream and eat a vegetable and fontiago sandwich (900 Calories). And he can always eat no matter the time of day. I mean just don't get it. I work out, monitor my intake, and I don't have a sedentary job. If I ate like that, I'd gain weight right away. Why is this?

Because you are two different people and no two people are the same.

amen.. metabolism, genetics, etc. There are so many factors.. You shouldn't even compare! My brother and I are the same way; he eats carbs galore (bread and other simple carbs) and a lot of fat and doesn't have an exercise routine. I have to watch watch what I eat and have an unhealthy relationship with both food and exercise. But I know that we are 2 different individuals; built differently and have different needs.