How can crockpot recipes taste good?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tart_of_darkness
    Options
    Nothing can taste good. Life is a swirling void of entropy that is worthless and senseless.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    catic32 wrote: »
    As other people posted - its' just another method of cooking: great for pulled pork, ribs, soups, chili things like that.

It's pretty much what I use it for as well. Right now I have a chicken tortilla soup cooking for lunch... but I pretty much use my crockpot 4x a year, if that. For veggie soups I'd much rather use the stove.

I did make skinnytaste's turkey meatball in the crock and it was pretty good though, but it turned out mushy... so it will be done in the oven next time. For most things, I can't imagine that it wouldn't turn out better if cooked in the oven or on the stove.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Maybe not use the tinned soup?

I'm British and find the obsession with plonking tins of creamed/condensed soup into stews and bakes baffling.

I have nothing to add recipe idea wise that hasn't been covered by other posters, I like my slow cooker. It's just the idea of Campbell's condensed mushroom cooked all day with pork or chicken makes me want to yack.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe not use the tinned soup?

I'm British and find the obsession with plonking tins of creamed/condensed soup into stews and bakes baffling.

I have nothing to add recipe idea wise that hasn't been covered by other posters, I like my slow cooker. It's just the idea of Campbell's condensed mushroom cooked all day with pork or chicken makes me want to yack.

Haha yes. In France we use little packages of flavoring in water instead. I only make things with chicken or vegetable broth here, if I see a recipe using cream of whatever I just move on...
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what exactly you are cooking.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I own one that one never used. However, I've been persuaded to try it for the Turkish Lima Bean stew that I was planning to make today. The rare dish that calls for nothing but long, slow cooking.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you go to Food Network and search on their website or use the Food Network phone application there you can search for recipes. If you search slow cooker and the main ingredient you want to use or type of food there are a lot of options. My family has particularly enjoyed the Chicken Sausage Gumbo. I switched out the sausage they suggested for a very good apple chicken sausage. The second time I made the recipe I also threw in several colors of bell peppers that were not listed in the original recipe. A major tip for using the slow cooker. Use fresh and good quality ingredients to start with and leave in for the time recommended. For example when cooking pork or beef roast. After the recommended cooking time you may want to take the meat out so that it does not over cook.
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I only cook certain things in my slowcooker- recently tried steel cut oats and like the consistency. I cook taco soup and chili in mine (I cook the meat with onion before putting in the crockpot), roast and roasted chicken have been good, pork roast or chicken with a jar of pepperoncini peppers and sliced sweet onion is delicious, and I've done one with boneless skinless chicken breast that's frozen - put the frozen bscb in crockpot, add jar of salsa (or can or two of ro-tel tomatoes depending on how much chicken), can of black beans and sometimes frozen corn and let cook all day while I sleep (I do this one following night shift) I like how it all simmers together. I'm not a fan of canned cream soups so I don't do those- made ONE attempt with pasta in a slowcooker and it was yucky
  • ArmyofMom
    ArmyofMom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    cblue315 wrote: »
    I gave up on my Crock Pot years ago. I bought one of those oval roasters. Mine is Nesco Brand. I love it. And you can brown things in it. Yes, do the prep work. You will have good results.

I tend to use a different piece of equipment depending on what I'm cooking.. I seem to have compiled a good range of different kitchen equipment over the past few years. From slow cookers to mini ovens, from george foremans to griddles.. and every prepping thing inbetween. It's something of a hobby.
    My point is, every piece of equipment can reach its full potential if used correctly. On the turn of a coin, if not used right.. you might as well microwave.
    I refuse to put my chicken in the crockpot, because I can't make it turn out to be tasty or whole - it always ends up shredded. So I now only use the crockpot for soups and chili :)

If you ball up aluminum foil and place the bottom of your crock pot then place the seasoned whole roasting chicken on top you will get a nice rotisserie style chicken.
  • attemptingfierce
    attemptingfierce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot for things like soups and chilis, I work two jobs so it's nice to be able to put stuff for say chicken chili in my crockpot in the morning and have dinner ready for my boyfriend and I without having to prepare it when I get home. You just have to find recipes that sound good (I make chicken taco chili from skinnytaste.com a lot, I love it.)
  • Tingababoo
    Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've tried MANY crockpot chicken recipes from Adobo to BBQ Honey Mustard and what I've noticed is no matter what you put in it from Soy Sauce to BBQ Sauce, it all turns out tasting the same! Its OKAY, not bad but a little on the salty side and each dish tastes very similar.

One Recipe I fell in love with is Turkey Chili:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html

I actually like this more than traditional Chili cooked for hours over a flame! And I'm a HUGE Red Chili fan, not so much love for white chili. For those who are not Pumpkin Fans, have no fear, the Pumpkin taste is not noticeable, perhaps it just acts like a sweetener. I used fresh Pumpkin puree. Give it a try! It won't last long in the crockpot for sure!