Foods/recipes you grew up with that you would not eat today

Options

Replies

• summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah lots of canned foods and boxed things. Some of it I might still eat now *on occasion* but mostly noooo...not because it's so evil, but because yuck. I can make way better and healthier food, or at least splurge on something awesome in a restaurant.

La Choy "Chinese meals"

Oh yes... I forgot about those!!! Horrible.

For the longest time I couldn't eat eggs. We were pretty poor growing up, but eggs were cheap and borrowing one from a neighbor was never a big deal.

Also, those little packages of flavored instant oatmeal. Eews.
    Had a bad experience with pheasant so can't touch it now and can't/won't eat Cocoa Krispies cereal ever again since I ate an entire bowl once and went to get more and realized it was full of ants. *shivers*

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Frozen dinners...for whatever reason, that was a Friday night thing when I was younger...frozen dinners or frozen pot pies on Friday evening while we watched television.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    venison, frog legs,rabbit,duck,homemade dunkaroos
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ugh... goulash. So much goulash as a kid because we were so poor, but elbow macaroni, store brand pasta sauce, and ground beef could feed a family of four for days for under $10.

Never.... again.
  • caitlinconger
    caitlinconger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think I'm sort of at that awkward point where my palate is no longer that of a kid, but not yet that of an adult because about half of these things sound repulsive while the other half I'm wondering why they're on this list :P
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Syrup with pancakes... I say it specifically in that order because in my house the norm was always to fill a bowl with syrup and throw in two pieces of pancakes. I'm horrified that I grew up thinking this was normal, no wonder I always had to struggle with my weight!
    When this breakfast wasn't available, we basically began every morning with pop tarts. I'm so sick of them now. Sure, I enjoyed the caloric bomb of pancakes and do miss it from time to time, but even the thought of pop tarts to this day will make me nauseous x.x
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Hmm, so much hate for the chipped beef on toast (and it's evil cousin, "stuff" on a shingle). I love(d) that stuff, lol! And I love liver and onions. I guess I have a palate for mid-century eats, lol.

But, yes, ewww to the LaChoy Chop Suey from a can. Mom even bought canned bean sprouts to add to it (those transparent, white, wormy things). I loved the stuff as a kid, but I'm queasy thinking about it now.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of mentions of canned veggies and especially agree with the canned mixed vegetables...GAG!

Basically I steered clear of all vegetables except for corn, peas, and green beans until I was in my late 20's, because I was scarred for life by my mom's idea of "vegetables"

Carrots cooked to DEATH (mushy) along with roast & potatoes
    Canned mixed vegetables and all other vegetables
    Broccoli cooked to a brownish pulp
    Canned spinach, usually creamed
    Canned creamed corn
    Green beans overcooked Southern style with bacon/lard/whatever
    Salad = iceberg lettuce ripped up with big chunks of tomato and a handful of dry hard croutons

I married my ex husband at age 25 and even though he was a very unhealthy eater and cook, he did introduce me to steamed broccoli (STILL GREEN!? Amazing!), raw baby carrots, and salads of various greens and different types of lettuce with just a bit of dressing and sliced cucumber. So good! I was amazed.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The benefits of a third world country. Fresh veggies all the time.

I don't know/recognize about 98% of the things mentioned on this post.

But yeah, deep fried fish was on my 'ew' list.
  • optimaltouch
    optimaltouch Posts: 31 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Canned vegetables, frozen pot pie & salisbury steak, olive loaf, bologna, and mac & cheese luncheon meats...the list seems endless. My mother was not a good cook, nor did she enjoy cooking. Everything was processed and cooked on HIGH heat at the last minute, though she was a stay at home mom. Oh, and an obscene amount of chocolate. Still eat chocolate, unfortunately.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    processed food from a box or can
  • optimaltouch
    optimaltouch Posts: 31 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Vienna sausage, spam, blood sausage, split pea soup...
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My mother used to mix hamburger with cream of mushroom soup and then pour it over instant mashed potatoes. It looked and tasted like what I imagine prison food is like.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    My mom was a pretty good cook. I'm vegan now but I remember eating a lot of fried meat. Fried chicken, fried pork chops, fried fish with tartar sauce. Egg noodles, mashed potatoes with butter and cream. Sunday 'gravy' with sausage, meatballs, braciole.

I try to veganize some of her recipes like gwumpkies (stuffed cabbage) my marinara, and my minestrone are just copies of Mamas.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Eggos- they come out of the toaster burnt to a crisp or partially frozen mush
    Instant microwave oatmeal packs- They NEVER filled me up, even as a kid in middle school. Hell, I would eat a pack, get dropped off at school, and grab eat whatever they had in the cafeteria that morning. I prefer preparing steel cut oats cold nowadays anyway. :)

I see a lot of frozen meals on here. Thankfully, my parents never made me eat much frozen aside from Digiorno and fish sticks, both of which I like. I didn't regularly eat frozen foods until my first couple of weight loss attempts during high school. Sarah Lee pot pies were pretty good, but just about every other frozen meal sucks.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Cheap TV dinners. Like Banquet. Bleh... Now I really appreciate home made food <3
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Any of the million different variations of "farmers skillet" type meals.

My mom would make eggs and potatoes in a skillet and then add in whatever was on hand, onion, peppers, etc. Then another day she would make rice and eggs and throw in whatever was on hand. For a while we had this several times a week. Now that i am an adult i know it was because we were dirt poor for a while. I will eat the same type of food now just not in one dish mixed up.

Plain or buttered toast. Yuck.

Most canned veggies. Especially Veg-All went into every soup and anything else mom could find to put it in. Canned Potatoes taste metallic. My daughter discovered she likes canned green beans so i have gotten used to them now.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    McDonald's burgers. Absolutely vile.
    White bread
    Baked goods from a package
    Bologna (anyone else remember olive loaf?)
    Mac n cheese (even my kids won't eat it)
    Ramen noodles (ate too many in college)
    Bad french fries (still love good ones, but I'm fussy)
    Bad chocolate, like Hershey's

Basically, I'm no longer interested in cheap, bad food - only high-quality, fresh food.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    My mother used to mix hamburger with cream of mushroom soup and then pour it over instant mashed potatoes. It looked and tasted like what I imagine prison food is like.

I make something similar, any ground meat cooked and then a home made gravy is made. It gets dumped over any leftover like mashed potatoes, rice, pasta etc. The trick to making it good is the spices, cream of mushroom soup makes it bleh.

In my house we call it "Slop" because it looks like it belongs in a pigs slop pail.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Velveeta cheese sandwiches, hamburger helper, vegetables from a can (especially green beans). I'm sure there's more!