How useful are the massage chairs at Planet Fitness?

Options
Please note: This is NOT an anti-PF rant. I do have my issues with the Planet Fitness business model, but this is one situation in which I'd genuinely like to hear what others have to say.

For the sake of the uninformed, Planet Fitness offers a "relaxation zone" in its facilities. These relaxation zones have tanning beds, red light therapy machines (which are purportedly good for the skin), and massage chairs or beds. Personally, I question whether having a relaxation zone is really suitable for a gym, but I won't say that it's completely without merit.

The tanning beds are clearly inappropriate, given that they're unhealthy and do nothing to promote physical fitness. These amenities, I daresay, only help fuel the notion that PF caters to people who want a relaxing "workout" and aren't really interested in getting fit.

The red light therapy machines MIGHT be helpful for various skin conditions. I don't yet know what the medical community has to say about them. Once again though, they seem incongruous in a gym, and I think they'd be better suited for a vacation spa.

What about the massage chairs, though? Some would probably argue that they're good for treating tight muscles after a heavy workout. In my experience though, massage chairs generally don't do much for post-workout tension, though. Nor do relaxation massages in general, as these are best treated using actual deep tissue massage or sports massages. (Additionally, PF says that they don't really cater to the heavy lifting crowd, as they prefer to "create an environment where you can relax, go at your own pace," etc.

I realize that I might not be seeing the entire story though, so I would be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    How helpful are they really when it comes to relieving tight muscles? Like I said, based on my limited experience, massage chairs are more for general relaxation than for improving athletic performance and reducing post-workout tension.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    They may help with relaxation, but I can't see them doing anything to help sore muscles. I like to sit in them at the airport while I eat snacks and wait for my flight, but I certainly wouldn't use one in the gym and expect it to help my soreness.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I was really hoping that someone would give me a good reason for these massage chairs to exist within a "gym." As you may have noticed, I try to be very fair when discussing Planet Fitness. I think that there are lot of problems with their philosophy, but I also want to acknowledge the positive things that they do.
    Then ask about things you find at a gym. Not a club for people who like purple and hate sweat.
  • spartan_d
    edited December 2014
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I was really hoping that someone would give me a good reason for these massage chairs to exist within a "gym."
    A few I can think of--
    • Relaxation is healthful in itself. Gyms often saunas and steamrooms. What fitness benefit are those?
    • Sore muscles can be soothed by massage chairs.
    • It can be used as a reward for completing your workout.
    • It's a business. People like massage chairs but don't have the money or space, same as treadmills. I think it's a good idea.
    • Not every gym item is something everyone believes is good for them. It doesn't mean no one should be given access unless there is unanimity.

To answer your points...

Earlier, I did acknowledge that relaxation can be helpful, but unfit people typically suffer from too much relaxation rather than too little. Moreover, relaxation is more of a health issue than general fitness. (Yes, there is a distinction.) Even if we ignore that distinction though, relaxation is not typically the purpose of a gym, just as weight lifting is not typically the purpose of a relaxation spa. One could tack such services on, but that would be incongruous to say the least.

There are good workout related reasons for saunas and steamrooms. See http://www.mensfitness.com/training/sweat-it-out.

As discussed earlier, massage chairs are good for relaxing, but they do practically nothing for sore muscles. As far as being "a reward for completing your workout," I think that's a poor rationalization. The fitness benefits of working out are their own reward. If people need an additional reward, they can always provide on themselves. Besides, what's to prevent people from skipping the workout completely and just heading for the tanning beds, the massage chairs, or the free pizza?

As for "Not every gym item is something everyone believes is good for them. It doesn't mean no one should be given access unless there is unanimity," nobody is making that clai. I don't hear anyone saying that only items that everyone needs should be offered. Rather, my question was whether there was any real fitness-related benefit to having the massage chairs. Based on the discussion so far, it seems like any such benefit is marginal. Even treating it as a post-workout rewards is pretty much post hoc justification.

As far as saying "people like massage chairs,"... so what? People also like playing video games and making out with their significant others, but that doesn't make it appropriate for a gym to provide PlayStations and makeout benches for their clientele. It's a gym after all, not someone's living room.

I don't think that any of these aforementioned reasons are very good at all.
  • spartan_d
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've never been to a PF and probably wouldn't cuz I DL, but why would you care if someone wants to spend time in a "relaxation zone". Does it affect your work-out?
    It doesn't. I'm just saying that it seems out of place in a gym. Playing video games in a bathroom likewise seems out of place to me, even though this may not affect me personally.

As I said earlier, I also think that (rightfully or not) this "relaxation zone" helps feed the notion that PF is for people who don't really want to work out. Feel free to disagree with me on that point if you wish.
  • threefancy35
    threefancy35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do they have a staff member disinfect them after each use? Seems kind of gross to me.
  • spartan_d
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So...you care why?
    If you don't mind my asking... why do you care why I care? Are you suggesting that we should only discuss matters that affect us personally? If so, then why challenge my reasons for asking, since this discussion doesn't affect you personally?

This might shock you, but some people appreciate the value of discussing ideas for their own sake and are willing to have their viewpoints challenged. If I wanted to, I could have simply posted an angry rant about how useless the "relaxation zone" is. Instead, I wrote a carefully measured response. As my posting history shows, I am more than willing to acknowledge certain positive aspects of PF, even though I take issue with their overall philosophy.

I'm certainly not the type who would attempt to shut down discourse from people whose ideas I disagree with or insinuate that ideas are not worth discussing. I hope that you're willing to extend me that same courtesy.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    There is no fitness reason for a gym to have restrooms either.
    No, but I think we can agree that restrooms are essential for obvious reasons. I don't believe that the same can be said for massage chairs.
    People join gyms for many non-fitness reasons-- social, aesthetics, stress relief, etc.
    Granted, but is that really a good reason to offer these services? Some guys go to museums, the library, and the gym in order to pick up women.... yet I think we'd agree that it would be most incongruous for these places to have specially dedicated rooms for speed dating or hookups.
    If you don't like it, join a different gym, one that suits your business/moral sense better.
    Again, this is a principled discussion. As I emphasized earlier, I'm willing to entertain other viewpoints or hear additional information.

If PF has specially designed massage chairs that are uniquely suited for hammering out post-workout tension, for example, then I'm more than willing to hear about it. With all due respect, saying "If you don't like it, go somewhere else!" doesn't strike me as a very reasonable response.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Actually, I do see what massage chairs have to do with laundry. They provide a way for people to kill time while waiting for their laundry to get done. So no, I don't think that's analogous to the gym situation.

Again, I'm not saying that massage chairs don't have their uses. I just don't think they're consistent with the general purpose of a gym. They're admittedly good for relaxing, and as such, then can provide some health benefits. A gym is more about physical conditioning though, and massage chairs aren't very good at removing post-workout knots.

Do they interfere with one's workouts? Not necessarily, but I think that's beside the point. Playing Space Invaders wouldn't interfere with a museum's purpose either, but I think we'd all look askance if a museum were to install a video arcade in its lobby.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I was a member of PF for one year and left when I realized that I truly wanted to deadlift, and that smith machines are a poor (and dangerous) replacements for free weights.

I saw the chairs and was never tempted to try them out. I did not perceive any value in them. I think that they are basically a product that is treated by the manufacturers of these products as another revenue stream.

I did some googling and I saw no strong connection between professional massage therapy associations and manufacurers of the chairs.

In my mind PF is a franchise which is all about generating profits first and foremost. The massage chairs are just another revenue stream.