High-fruit Diet: Good or bad?

Options
I generally eat a ton of fruit everyday. In one day, I might eat 1/2 cup Blueberries, 1/2 cup Raspberries, 8 Strawberries, 2 mandarin Oranges, an Apple, and a banana. I still manage my calorie intake, and eat some Vegetables, too. I also am getting Protein mostly in form of whey powder. But, back to the point. I was wondering if anyone know how a diet high in fruit effects you. I know it's a lot of sugar, but I'm sure it's probably okay because it's natural and supplemented with Fiber. Any information or comments would be great!

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Its a lot of fruit but I don't think it should be a problem. I eat a lot of fruit but maybe not quite as much as you list above.

If you are going to eat a lot of anything then fruit is better than just about everything else.

The sugar in fruit is not a problem.

But you must make sure you also eat your daily quota of vegies or at least try to.

Are you eating enough protein? That is the question. If not you need to find more sources. I am skeptical about all the protein powders. You should try to actually eat some protein in the form of real food too.

The best nutrition comes from eating a wide variety of foods. It sounds like you are vegetarian. Are you also avoiding most dairy? then eat eggs.

What about fish?

Certainly every vegetarian and vegan should be eating lots of beans and chickpeas and lentils. This is the easiest and most nutritious way to access the protein you need. If you are vegan, you should be eating these foods at every meal. Preferably not in processed form.

Westerners tend to make things hard for themselves by going vegan because they do not have a tradition of cooking with these foods unlike indians and europeans and middle easterners and south americans.

Also of course you need to eat nuts and seeds. You need some fats in your diet. Trying to live wihtout fats at all is incredibly dumb so don't try. The body needs fat. The brain needs fat. If you do eat nuts, incorporate them into your salads and other dishes rather than snacking becuase that is the route to overeating them.
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi there, as one who spent several years on a high-fruit, vegan diet -- which also happens to be sub-optimal when it comes to calcium, even with dark, dense green smoothies -- I can say positively that it will rot your teeth. You MUST brush, or at least use mouthwash, after each time you eat, use fluoridated dental products, and supplement with almond milk or something else decently high in calcium, or you're going to rack up quite the dental bill, as I did. Frederic Patenaude is a high-raw blogger whom you can look up for more thoughts on this. Good luck!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Fruit=sugar, even though it is natural it is still sugar. Treat it as such...
  • westonw72
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Its a lot of fruit but I don't think it should be a problem. I eat a lot of fruit but maybe not quite as much as you list above.

If you are going to eat a lot of anything then fruit is better than just about everything else.

The sugar in fruit is not a problem.

But you must make sure you also eat your daily quota of vegies or at least try to.

Are you eating enough protein? That is the question. If not you need to find more sources. I am skeptical about all the protein powders. You should try to actually eat some protein in the form of real food too.

The best nutrition comes from eating a wide variety of foods. It sounds like you are vegetarian. Are you also avoiding most dairy? then eat eggs.

What about fish?

Certainly every vegetarian and vegan should be eating lots of beans and chickpeas and lentils. This is the easiest and most nutritious way to access the protein you need. If you are vegan, you should be eating these foods at every meal. Preferably not in processed form.

Westerners tend to make things hard for themselves by going vegan because they do not have a tradition of cooking with these foods unlike indians and europeans and middle easterners and south americans.

Also of course you need to eat nuts and seeds. You need some fats in your diet. Trying to live wihtout fats at all is incredibly dumb so don't try. The body needs fat. The brain needs fat. If you do eat nuts, incorporate them into your salads and other dishes rather than snacking becuase that is the route to overeating them.

I am not vegetarian. I enjoy meat, and I do usually eat at least some per day. I also eat eggs and milk.
  • westonw72
    Options
    Tuliper1 wrote: »
    Hi there, as one who spent several years on a high-fruit, vegan diet -- which also happens to be sub-optimal when it comes to calcium, even with dark, dense green smoothies -- I can say positively that it will rot your teeth. You MUST brush, or at least use mouthwash, after each time you eat, use fluoridated dental products, and supplement with almond milk or something else decently high in calcium, or you're going to rack up quite the dental bill, as I did. Frederic Patenaude is a high-raw blogger whom you can look up for more thoughts on this. Good luck!

That's an interesting thought, and it's good to know. I will certainly keep this in mind!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and eat tons. It's good for me! Today I had:
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Blueberries
    Blackberries
    Cherries
    Raisins
    ...and most of an apple.

I has some veggies, meat and cold cereal with extra-protein milk, too. But the fruit was the highlight of my food day, as it is every day. :)

I don't know what is good for you. That's for you and your doctor to figure out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    As long as you meet your other nutrient needs, it's fine. I just highly doubt you do (protein and fat?).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. Do you also like vegetables? It would be beneficial to eat those as well a variety of other foods.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I see that you eat some dairy and meat from your reply to other posters. I don't know the ratios/grams of which foods you are eating. That said, a high high fruit diet may not be giving you enough:
    -fat
    -protein
    -calcium
    -iron
    -folate
    -vitamin A
    -vitamin K
    -vitamin E
    -choline

• tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    westonw72 wrote: »
    I generally eat a ton of fruit everyday. In one day, I might eat 1/2 cup Blueberries, 1/2 cup Raspberries, 8 Strawberries, 2 mandarin Oranges, an Apple, and a banana. I still manage my calorie intake, and eat some Vegetables, too. I also am getting Protein mostly in form of whey powder. But, back to the point. I was wondering if anyone know how a diet high in fruit effects you. I know it's a lot of sugar, but I'm sure it's probably okay because it's natural and supplemented with Fiber. Any information or comments would be great!

What is your goal? If it is a bunch of fiber and vitamins then seems like you are doing well.

If it is weight loss, I would start cutting that back by 90%.

Eat to fit your goal.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight and I was just told to stay away from fruit all together. I don't like that comment because I love fruit. I thought there was a difference between "natural" sugar and "junk" sugar? I am at a loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight and I was just told to stay away from fruit all together. I don't like that comment because I love fruit. I thought there was a difference between "natural" sugar and "junk" sugar? I am at a loss.

Eat fruit, eat veggies, eat protein. It's about eating at a caloric deficit.
  • tannatannabobanna
    Options

Sure, there is a difference, but not for weight loss. At the end of the day sugar is sugar when trying to loose weight. Fructose, dextrose, w/e. To lose weight you must be at a caloric deficit. If you can fit fruit into your caloric intake for the day then sure. However, it is a large amount of sugar it will spike blood sugar, which will force your body to produce insulin, and eventually store fat. So its a catch 22. Just stay away during weight loss.
  • jodster1504
    Options
    Fruit are is good for you! If you hit yous nutrient needs, fit into your calorie allowance and feel good on that diet, then I guess it's fine. Personnally I need more complex carbs and protein or I will feel physically weak. The only high-something diets I believe in are high variety and high nutrient content :D
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    A lot of fruit is fine if you can fit it into your calorie goal for the day and if you're not sacrificing other macros, such as protein, by eating all that fruit. If you are prediabetic or have diabetes in your family, you might want to reduce the quantity of fruit; otherwise, it's not a problem. I usually have 3-4 servings of fruit a day. Also, some fruits are less caloric than others; berries for instance have fewer calories and less sugar than say a banana.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body..........

Have you had blood work to check your cholesterol and triglycerides? If your LDL or triglycerides are high, then you would be best advised to cut out a LOT of the fruit in your eating except for the berries, apples, and fruits like these.

Do you have metabolic disorder, insulin resistance, thyroid issues or Diabetes? If so, then the above would also apply.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol (but normal triglycerides) and I was never told to reduce the amount of fruit in my diet. I was told to cut saturated fat and processed sweets, which usually have both refined sugar and fat (often transfat). My understanding is that fruit affects blood sugar levels, not cholesterol.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic, you are meeting your protein and micronutrient needs, and you aren't going over your calorie goal, I see no reason to limit fruit.

I eat a ton of fruit. On a typical day I will probably have at least 4-6 servings. I still hit my protein and micronutrient targets and stay between 1300-1500 calories a day without restricting my food intake.
  • tannatannabobanna
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Sure, there is a difference, but not for weight loss. At the end of the day sugar is sugar when trying to loose weight. Fructose, dextrose, w/e. To lose weight you must be at a caloric deficit. If you can fit fruit into your caloric intake for the day then sure. However, it is a large amount of sugar it will spike blood sugar, which will force your body to produce insulin, and eventually store fat. So its a catch 22. Just stay away during weight loss.

Staying away from fruit isn't necessary on a cut. As far as fat storing goes, it happens throughout the day, we have peaks and valleys. Valleys> Peaks is where it's at.

In a deficit energy will be used regardless.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

That sounds nice, however that is not how insulin works: http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell2.htm

A large amount of fruit will spike blood glucose levels. It is sugar regardless. This in cause and effect will cause a degree of fat storage. This is why fruit is avoided for athletes and bodybuilders cutting for competition.

To conclude. Some is fine yes, higher fiber fruits apples, kiwis etc in moderation 1 serving a day post exercise. There is no reason for excess.