Stair climbing breathing

Options
Monna2
Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I always get short of breath when I climb stairs (actual stairs not the machine). I am quite heavy: 116 kg.
My question is do all people get short of breath? Is it possible that someone would climb 3 storeys without feeling the need to breathe heavily?
How can we reach that stage?
I don't mean to climb stairs as a form of exercise..just climbing to reach my apartment.

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    The stair climber is not easy, even for those in really good shape. This is why I always do my cardio on that machine, in less than 10 minutes I am soaked in sweat. the best bet is to start slow. do it at level 1 and slowly add a few minutes each week.

Big tip though, don't hang on and slump over on the machine. that won't serve you well at all. everyone has to start slow and work your stamina up. and even then, you will be out of breath and sweat. it's a beast of a machine but hey that's the point.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're not short of breath and/or breathing heavily, you're probably mailing in your workout. It's supposed to be hard, that's the whole point.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @missADS1981‌ and @DopeItUp‌ She's talking about actual stairs, not the stair climber.

@Monna2‌ You are experiencing shortness of breath when climbing stairs because you are obese and out of shape. As you start losing weight and exercising frequently, your endurance and stamina will increase. Eventually, you won't be out of breath while climbing stairs. It is entirely possible, just keep at it.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    The stair climber is not easy, even for those in really good shape. This is why I always do my cardio on that machine, in less than 10 minutes I am soaked in sweat. the best bet is to start slow. do it at level 1 and slowly add a few minutes each week.

Big tip though, don't hang on and slump over on the machine. that won't serve you well at all. everyone has to start slow and work your stamina up. and even then, you will be out of breath and sweat. it's a beast of a machine but hey that's the point.

I agree 110% with this, but have you noticed that the calorie burn is much lower on the stair climber than it is for say the same amount of time on the treadmill? This has always baffled me. I just chalk it up to ITS WRONG and go on with my day. LOL!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Depends on intensity but I have to think the stair climber is going to burn more calories
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Monna2 wrote: »
    I always get short of breath when I climb stairs (actual stairs not the machine). I am quite heavy: 116 kg.
    My question is do all people get short of breath? Is it possible that someone would climb 3 storeys without feeling the need to breathe heavily?
    How can we reach that stage?
    I don't mean to climb stairs as a form of exercise..just climbing to reach my apartment.

It will depend on how fast you are going and what kind of shape you are in. It is possible to make it up three flights of stairs without being out of breath though.

To get to that stage you have to get in better shape.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The fact you're getting out of breath climbing the stairs to your apartment is an indication of a) being overweight and b) poor cardiovascular fitness.

You can improve your cardiovascular fitness by making a point of walking more, riding a bike, swimming etc etc it takes time and consistency but is probably one of the best things you can do for your own health. You'll probably find you make fairly good progress over a short period of time. Climbing stairs requires more exertion than walking on level surfaces, if you have some hills you can walk they can be tremendously beneficial.

The weight part.....that too is completely in your hands. Losing weight makes almost any form of exercise easier.