Snacks you eat that are low calorie, low fat, low sugar and help with hunger

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    How low? Makes a difference, lol.

Most filling: Nature Valley Crunchy Granola bars.

Fruit - in season or frozen

Rice cakes are great, if you like them. There is a generic caramel one that is fantastic. Rice cakes are very hit or miss, though. I have certain ones I love and others that I don't even want to eat.

Salsa with lettuce or Soecial K popcorn chips.

A hot dog and some beans is a very filling snack and can easily come in around 100-150 calories if you do it right.

I mix rasins, Craisins, dried cherries and no-salt, dry-roasted peanuts together, but a handful of that is not without it's calories. Can't go crazy on that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find high fat helps with hunger. Nearly all of my go-to portable proteins also have fat content. Any food can be low-calorie if you cut it fine enough.
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    My go-to is popcorn! I like the air popped white cheddar popcorn by SmartFood... it is 35 calories per 1 oz serving, and since popcorn is so light, it feels like you get a lot in that serving. The fiber keeps it pretty filling for me at least, and if you eat 2 servings, you've still only had 70 calories. Hard to go wrong there! I also find carrots to be a satisfying snack (add some sort of nut butter to make it extra filling, but it does add some calories...personally I'd rather just eat a whole bunch of carrots by themselves!), as well as fruit leathers (though I know you said low-sugar, so those may not be viable for you). I tend to fill up pretty easily so these might not be super-filling for you, but it's worth a shot! :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My go-to is popcorn! I like the air popped white cheddar popcorn by SmartFood... it is 35 calories per 1 oz serving, and since popcorn is so light, it feels like you get a lot in that serving. The fiber keeps it pretty filling for me at least, and if you eat 2 servings, you've still only had 70 calories. Hard to go wrong there! :)
    I love how air-popped popcorn is coming back. :)

I remember when we got a popcorn popper. Some sales guy gave my Dad a "Choose Your Own Gift" book (those were so awesome!) and we all decided on the popcorn popper. It was so exciting when it arrived, but mom said we would wait for Dad to get home and do it all together. It was so much fun watching it pop and seeing the butter melt in it's little tray. Every time we made popcorn was an event.

Then microwaves and microwave popcorn showed up and the air-popped stuff went away.

The microwave bags are easier and can add flavors with sogginess, so I get why we all switched, but it's fun to watch it pop. Every kid should get to do that. IMO. I'm glad they're making a comeback.
  • lilme21baby
    Options
    I try and not snack. The few times I've been really hungry I have had a cerial bar! I used to try and snack on grapes but that would make me hungrier than I was to start! X
  • isiswulfmoon
    isiswulfmoon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cereal bars have a lot sugar :\ Have you tried a banana w some almonds?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Herb tea, diet jello, oranges, green smoothies, and edaname, steamed in microwave, coated with salt...
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Fruit fits your categories
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    chicken boob cooked with adobo seasoning. I make it by the three pound (Uncooked) weight for the week, and snack on it by the handful. Nightly.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ^^chicken boob
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Portabello mushroom with gerlic and a tablespoon of parmesan, grilled until the cheese is brown and the mushroom is juicy.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    As a rule, I do not eat "diet" anything or low fat anything. Fat is satiating. Fat is not the devil it's made out to be. "Diet" or "lite" food has more additives and preservatives and crap in it than it's worth.

That being said, you can't go wrong with a combo of carb and fat or protein and fat.

I like cut veggies + cheese
    Cut veggies + hummus
    Cut fruit + plain Greek yogurt
    Tuna or Boar's Head deli meat with crackers
    Lunch meat and cheese "roll ups"
    Apples or celery + peanut butter
    Nuts + dried fruit
    Popcorn

Can't go wrong with a protein shake or bar either. Plenty of brands offer low sugar options.
    This this this!

I'd also add raw almonds and dark chocolate!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ^^I would never consider almonds low cal. So many calories for so little. I want to eat like handfuls upon handfuls of nuts once I start.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt or regular yogurt - half a cup
    cottage cheese- half a cup
    an apple or half a cup of raspberries with cinnamon
  • cheriejim
    Options
    Weight watchers has some good snacks. Also Murray cookies has low calorie, no sugar cookies.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    ^^I would never consider almonds low cal. So many calories for so little. I want to eat like handfuls upon handfuls of nuts once I start.

True, but I find once I measure out my little portion and eat it with fruit/dried fruit, I'm totally satiated. Fat is a lovely thing (for me, anyway)!

• AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try out graze boxes, they're cheap and tasty and really great snacking ideas all made up for you! I get them sent out weekly x
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also the people who are commenting "water" aren't really being helpful, it drives me crazy. I just don't see the point in commenting something like that. The OP is just looking for some helpful advice and snack ideas.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Also the people who are commenting "water" aren't really being helpful, it drives me crazy. I just don't see the point in commenting something like that. The OP is just looking for some helpful advice and snack ideas.

I think people started suggesting water only after the OP came out with reason after reason as to why the suggestions put forth, such a high-fat snacks or practising CICO, weren't compatible with her "needs". So if you've read the whole thread, you'd see that water is the only thing that does fit her requirements, and they are thus, being helpful.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero.

144 calories per pint. Coconut is awesome.

Let it soften a bit before you eat it.