Is there ANYTHING on the 5 Guys menu that won't kill me?

Options

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Stop by Subway on the way, grab a sandwich and bring it with you. There's no rule that says you have to eat the same food as the people who invited you. While your siblings are clogging their arteries, you can have a much healthier meal. I've never been to Five Guys and while I hear it's good, I don't anticipate going since they have no options for something at least somewhat healthy.

I did that exact thing on Friday of last week! My coworkers wanted Pomodoros, a calorie heavy Italian takeout place with no calorie info. Right next to it is Subway, I got my sandwich (340 calories) and brought it into the other place and sat with them and ate it. They were mystified as to what the heck I was doing that for.. .haha... guys....
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    MODERATION!!! Everything in moderation - even burgers :) If it were me, I would get the smallest burger on the menu with veggies and no extra condiments, eat a few fries, and call it a day. It's not a big deal.... if you go and eat 5 burgers then you have a problem - moderation is key. Depriving yourself can be just as unhealthy. Remember that 5 Guys is actually probably better than most burger joints, they use lean fresh never-frozen beef. If you really want to be careful, leave off the bum... or eat only half of the bun *shrug* Don't stress about 1 burger, 1 isn't going to kill you. :0)

Exactly.

You're not being commissioned to eat like the guy from 'Supersize Me', this is one meal.

Turning food into a religion is not only unhealthy for you, but socially, its a bit boorish.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I don't think they have chicken, I had the same dilema last week at work for a going away lunch for a partner at my law firm (couldn't exactly skip that...)

Their menu is online. I ended up getting a mini hamburger and putting on onions, mustard and pickles. It's still pretty terrible for you, but not as terrible?

http://www.fiveguys.net/files/files/NutritionalInfo_2010(1).pdf

Then go to the gym!

Still, I would not order crap like that---I would sip on a glass of water and nibble on my healthy food that I always carry in my purse. If someone is not udnerstanding enough to realize that my health is important to me--seeing as how I spent too many years not realizing that and was slowly digging myself a grave--then they will get over it.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with wewon on this. I know that probably puts me in the minority and could be why I have a slower weight loss than many, BUT...I have been consistent in my weight loss even while enjoying the occasional "cheat" meal. Emphasis on MEAL! Having the occasional "unhealthy" meal out is not going to wreck your otherwise healthy lifestyle unless you allow it to.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I heart me some five guys. Order your burger then grab a fork and knife and nix the bun when you eat it. The meat there is sooo yummy. If you get the little burger and yank out the bun you could take that one down to 330 calories roughlyish.
  • luv2ash
    Options
    Stop by Subway on the way, grab a sandwich and bring it with you. There's no rule that says you have to eat the same food as the people who invited you. While your siblings are clogging their arteries, you can have a much healthier meal. I've never been to Five Guys and while I hear it's good, I don't anticipate going since they have no options for something at least somewhat healthy.

I did that exact thing on Friday of last week! My coworkers wanted Pomodoros, a calorie heavy Italian takeout place with no calorie info. Right next to it is Subway, I got my sandwich (340 calories) and brought it into the other place and sat with them and ate it. They were mystified as to what the heck I was doing that for.. .haha... guys....
    You have no idea how excitign it is to see someone else make the right choice for their health. Congratulations and Kudos to you for doing the right thing. Hopefully, one by one, we can make a difference in some one else's life as well.
  • wooddie14
    wooddie14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree...there is nothing in there good for you so eat half a portion or bring something else to eat. It's kinda rude to bring in another restaurants food but I have done it before. On the other hand I agree with the person who said it's only one meal...it's not going to hurt you that bad! :-)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    go in there and don't even look at the menu----tell the server you want a piece of grilled chicken and some steamed veggies. Remember in order to make a lifetime committment to wellness---going out to eat is no longer about the food, its about the sharing the company of the people you are with :)

Hahaha. I see you've never been to Five Guys! LOL

The Little Cheeseburger w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard is 550 cals. Not too horrible. And, actually, the fries are only 160 cals. for 1/4 of a regular order (which is a TON of fries.) Go for it. I still eat this meal occasionally, with water, and it hasn't hurt me yet. I do try to work out before I go, though! (Would never feel up to working out after. Haha.)

Nope--DOn't do it----this lifestyle is more than just about calories--what about the fat and sodium????

Jeez. For the meal I suggested, 60 grams fat & 713 mg sodium. Not the best, sure, but not TERRIBLE, either. I've seen more fat & sodium in supposedly "healthy" choices at places like Applebee's. So, you eat Five Guys for lunch, be sure to eat a nice, fruity breakfast, and a healthy salad for dinner. It's all about choices, people. And burgers fit into my plan occasionally. I'm not on a "diet."
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Great... now i'm craving five guys!!! **shoves like 10 pieces of gum in mouth**
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    go in there and don't even look at the menu----tell the server you want a piece of grilled chicken and some steamed veggies. Remember in order to make a lifetime committment to wellness---going out to eat is no longer about the food, its about the sharing the company of the people you are with :)

The Little Cheeseburger w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard is 550 cals. Not too horrible. And, actually, the fries are only 160 cals. for 1/4 of a regular order (which is a TON of fries.) Go for it. I still eat this meal occasionally, with water, and it hasn't hurt me yet. I do try to work out before I go, though! (Would never feel up to working out after. Haha.)

I'd get a little cheeseburger with double veggies & mustard as the only condiment & NO bun! No fries & a diet coke ( I drink diet... I know it's bad). But by taking off the bun you've removed 150-200+ calories!!! Not a bad meal at all. I think begging to go to another restaurant is ridiculous personally.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all your advice. I will make a wise choice, not sure WHAT that will be, but
    I'm going to stay on track.

You GUYS are awesome!:wink:
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity....do you have a Fatburger near you? Personally I think their burgers are better than 5 guys and they have more options.

If you have to go to 5 guys it looks like they have a veggie sandwich. If I had to go I would probably get the "little cheeseburger" because it has less fat and sodium than the hot dog with only 5 more calories.
  • luv2ash
    Options

Nope--DOn't do it----this lifestyle is more than just about calories--what about the fat and sodium????

Jeez. For the meal I suggested, 60 grams fat & 713 mg sodium. Not the best, sure, but not TERRIBLE, either. I've seen more fat & sodium in supposedly "healthy" choices at places like Applebee's. So, you eat Five Guys for lunch, be sure to eat a nice, fruity breakfast, and a healthy salad for dinner. It's all about choices, people. And burgers fit into my plan occasionally. I'm not on a "diet."

Yes, I am not on a diet either---I am improving my long-term health which will last forever---I have not even taken my kids near a drive thru in 8 months---they don't seem to care one bit. BTW, I have never gone over 30 grams of fat in one WHOLE day since the beginning of my journey. I go to Applebees frequently, but I can order my PLAIN grilled chicken or fish and steamed veggies there and know that I have taken care of my health :)
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    They have free peanuts. You can get a handful of peanuts and a small burger with lots of veggies and only eat 1/2 the bun or you could just get in an extra 30 min. of cardio and enjoy what you want.
  • kailyamie
    kailyamie Posts: 130
    Options

BINGO. I think that it is equally as unhealthy to "make food your religion" as someone else put it, as it is to just consume food constantly not considering your health at all. Being "healthy" is finding a balance, not refusing to eat a burger because ONE burger will kill your lifestyle. The only difference between the person inhaling the tripple-stacker and the person drinking water and nibbling a carrot is their pant-size and let me tell you, that is certainly not everything. Healthy balance includes your psychological health as well.... don't beat yourself up about one little burger.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I ended up at 5 Guys with my kids and their friends recently when we were in a rush to get somewhere, and there was no time for me to get something elsewhere. I ordered a little hamburger with lettuce only, and threw away the bun - used the lettuce in place of a bun. It wasn't what I would have preferred, but it was one meal out of many, and it didn't affect my progress.

That being said, I was not happy about having to eat something there, and will do what I have to do to avoid having to eat there again. Could you tell them that if lunch is at 5 Guys then you just won't be able to join them because there is no option at all for you on the menu? Wouldn't they understand that?
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    Request their veggie burger on a bed of salad. They have salad to garnish their burgers with so they could easily accomdate you.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Ahh I meant hamburger! Little HAMburger lol!
  • mossmommy
    mossmommy Posts: 63
    Options
    get a burger without the bun and instead wrap it in a lettuce leaf. I do this at Magnolia Cafe in Austin all the time because their bison burgers are amazing but their buns are crazy...
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Yes, I am not on a diet either---I am improving my long-term health which will last forever---I have not even taken my kids near a drive thru in 8 months---they don't seem to care one bit. BTW, I have never gone over 30 grams of fat in one WHOLE day since the beginning of my journey. I go to Applebees frequently, but I can order my PLAIN grilled chicken or fish and steamed veggies there and know that I have taken care of my health :)

Good for you. But the question wasn't "Where can I get grilled chicken and veggies," it was "What should I order at 5 Guys?" I personally would HATE living a life where all I could order at restaurants was chicken & veggies. Blech.