Am I doomed to be overwight forever? Why am I not normal

Options
I am going to try and make this rant as short as possible. I just feel really fed up with my failures. I tried everything. Moderation, no counting calories to counting calories. Restricting food to not restricting foods. Eat healthy foods. Cheat meals turn to cheat weeks. I really am at lost for what to try. I don't get it, is it me? Am I just meant to be fat forever? Has anyone ever been in the same boat as me?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Counting calories works! You eat at a deficit, you lose. Do NOT restrict, do something sustainable. You can do it!
  • AnnisHD
    AnnisHD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kiera: NO...you are not doomed. If anything, the FOOD INDUSTRY has doomed us with all the fads and claims over the years. I highly recommend getting Dr. Hyman's book...The Sugar Solution or The Sugar Impact by JJ Virgin. THESE two authors have done more to REEducate me...FAT does not make you FAT. SUGAR makes you fat. Stop eating FAT FREE items because read the labels to see ALL THE SUGAR added for taste.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    AnnisHD wrote: »
    Kiera: NO...you are not doomed. If anything, the FOOD INDUSTRY has doomed us with all the fads and claims over the years. I highly recommend getting Dr. Hyman's book...The Sugar Solution or The Sugar Impact by JJ Virgin. THESE two authors have done more to REEducate me...FAT does not make you FAT. SUGAR makes you fat. Stop eating FAT FREE items because read the labels to see ALL THE SUGAR added for taste.

No, eating more calories than you burn makes you fat.

OP, try counting calories again. Purchase a food scale to make sure you're really eating the amount you think you are and log everything that goes into your mouth. That's all there is to it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I used to think like you. Then I STUCK to a plan, and now I'm nearly at my goal weight.
    Barring any medical conditions, then it's pretty simple. .. calories in V calories out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

NO! again, caloric deficit and you'll lose.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Just no.
    Take your advertising somewhere else, thanks.

Eating in a deficit works. You just have to decide to stick to it. Nobody can make that decision but you.

Here's a helpful link about TDEE, BMR and finding a healthy balance of eating the most calories you can and still lose weight. Hang in there OP! Good luck.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/974889/in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • AnnisHD
    AnnisHD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here are THE FACTS about consistent and long lasting weight loss. EAT properly, eat in moderation, eat regularly (none of this restrict to severe diets...as you know...they do not last). Our bodies are still designed for the days of hunter/gatherers. Our bodies have thousands of years of survival...Modern day living has ruined our eating habits and exercise habits. WE rarely walk long distances. I look at pictures of my mom/sister who were raised during the Depression and WW II. THEY were all very thin...it was RARE, RARE, RARE to see an overweight person, much less OBESE people. They walked. They worked in gardens. They chopped wood. THEY ate regular meals made from whole foods not over processed by some huge food giant. BACK TO BASICS....
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can SO relate!! :blush: You are NOT alone. I am addicted to food. At just 8 years old I overate crab legs my dad brought home one day and made myself so sick I threw up!! I haven't eaten a crab leg since. It put that bad of a taste in my mouth. LOL. I have always been the type that can pass up the cake, cookies, pie, ice cream, etc. but show me chicken, pizza, steak, whatever kind of food and I will eat... and eat... and eat!! :disappointed:

I have been fat since I was 11 or 12 years old. I just turned 38 in November. I have had my ups and downs as any yo-yo dieter can relate. I usually get halfway to goal and then hit a plateau and can't pull the engine back on the track if ya know what I mean! :wink: I am really going to stick with it this time. Because even old dogs CAN learn new tricks!! :smiley:

Send me a friend request if you'd like.

• kiwigirl007
    kiwigirl007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hey :) Don't lose heart! We're human, and we fail. Sometimes, many times. Allow yourself that. Remember that this is a learning process, and know that you'll make mistakes. HOWEVER, learn from the mistakes. Identify and avoid the triggers. Focus on creating new good habits, a new lifestyle, new things that bring you joy - NOT just food. You'll get there!

PS - It's worth it to get checked out by a doctor for pre-existing medical conditions (thyroid/hormonal/otherwise) that could effect your body's metabolism.

:)
  • acceann
    Options
    It's just, I see these people who wake up every morning. Don't have to give an hour thought of what they are gonna eat or if it will make them fat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    kiera1995 wrote: »
    It's just, I see these people who wake up every morning. Don't have to give an hour thought of what they are gonna eat or if it will make them fat.
    We are all different, you can't compare yourself to others. You need to make a plan and just do it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This makes me so sad. If you don't really want - REALLY WANT - to do the hard work of losing weight, stop! Don't feel badly about yourself because you've failed to do something you don't really want to do, anyway! If you don't want to do all that hard work, just choose not to do it. Put it off and enjoy doing what you really want to do. Eat yummy food and ENJOY it!

When you really, really do want to do the hard work, nothing will stop you. You won't "cheat" because you won't want to cheat. You'll be all, "Oh, please, I'm not eating that. I intend to lose weight, thanks." :)

Make a choice and (whatever it is), be happy with it! Enjoy what you're doing. Life goes by fast! Have some fun. :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I lost over 70lbs with MFP before gaining almost all of it back. This time, I think I've found something that works for me. And, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that where you are right now and how you feel and think and practice your attempts at fitness may not bear any semblance to how these things are a year from now. For me, right now, I have set my weight loss goal to 1lb per week. I always, always weigh my food. I do not eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, I eat 30g of peanut butter. This is key. This allows me to eat enough that I am not hungry enough that I need to binge. I eat very little for breakfast, a small lunch if any lunch at all, a couple of snacks during the day and then a big dinner. I always leave room for desert, feel free to browse my diary. So far, this has been working. Good luck, I hope you find what works for you soon. The important thing is just that you don't give up. I lost my way for like 2 years or something but I always planned to come back. And now I have. Again. Hopefully this time, it's for good.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Eating a food will not make you fat. Eating too much food and not creating enough energy to either maintain or lose weight with deficit makes you fat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kiera1995 wrote: »

Eat what you want, as long as you remain in your calorie deficit. I eat ice cream, chocolate, fast food, and pizza all the time, and I've lost 55 pounds in a year.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There are fundamentally 3 things you need to be successful with weight loss, regardless of whatever plan you want to use to get there.

1. Honesty. You need to be honest about your current habits and what you're willing to put into this. This also means honesty about logging your food, which includes being precise about measuring your food and not overestimating the time or effort you spend exercising.

2. Consistency. You need to be consistently sticking to your plans every day/week/month with minimal "cheat" days.

3. Patience. You didn't gain weight overnight. It's not going to come off overnight. Stick with your plan. Be honest and consistent, and you will see progress. If you are very overweight, it will take many months or perhaps years to get your weight off. Be patient, and keep at it.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You haven't lost weight because you haven't stuck to a plan for long enough to see results. You have to do it every day. (Or MOST days, anyway)

You didn't gain the weight in a month and you're not going to lose it in a month either. Buy a scale and weigh your food every day. Do it for six months and see what happens.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight

Weigh and measure all that you consume

Log those items properly

Calorie deficit = weight loss