Low Thyroid!!!

Replies

• Dreamer1311
    Dreamer1311 Posts: 203 Member
    Oh and eat fish at least once a week, fresh vegetables, low sodium, not greasy foods, change your salt if you haven't done so yet to iodized salt. And the comment about soy is right. You can eat it but not as much.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I'm slowly, again, gaining weight, even though I'm exercising and eating right most of the time. I think the dose is too low. I have blood work next week for them to check. I'm also becoming quite tired again. Is it usual for, perhaps, the body to get used to a dose and then kind of "beg for more" so to speak?

My PMS, et. al. has got worse since being on the tablet. Is that normal? Other than that, no other actual side effects. I'm only on since the day I posted this question, so heaven only knows....
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Yes - I'm currently taking 175mcg. I think what happens is that they prescribe the bare minimum, which HELPS but perhaps not ENOUGH until they get you to a dose that doesn't need to change. I *think* I'm finally there at 175mcg. I've been on this one for over a year now.
  • slieber
    Thanks for that reassurance. I'm rather frustrated - especially with the weight gain. *sigh*
  • Make sure to always take Synthryoid instead of Levothryoid. My Endocrine doctor said that Levo is generic and doesn;t as work well.
  • slieber
    I am just coming back to map after being so discouraged. I had to go to Synthroid after the generic Levo just about devastated me. I also now take 100mgs of Cytomel in the afternoon, and progesterone and DHEA once a day. I have most of my energy back but can't budge the last 15 pounds. If I eat less, I get very hypo glycemic. I try to balance the carbs and protein, with heavier protein. Exercise has reduced to four hour and a half ballet classes a week - 3 on pointe, the other regular. They are advanced classes. I need more gym time, though.
    That's the update. I still crash but not nearly as much as before.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Welcome back! MFP has a hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Synthroid & Cytomel reduce the fatigue, so I can be more active. But my loss was all about logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignore fat & carbs. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    I'm not a doctor, but I do suffer from Hashimoto's -- so I know a little about the numbers.
    Yours seem to be in the fairly "normal" range. For example: When I was diagnosed, my TSH was 28 (very hypo).
    Oh, if your doctor won't sit with you and explain the tests and the numbers, find another doctor.

I have hashimotos and my tsh was 41! 3.5 years later and it's still a little on the high end.
    I'm on levothyroxine for 3.5 years and no side effects. My doctor is still trying to get my dose right. I'm on 175 mcg now and due for blood work soon. I have struggled with my weight tremendously.
    I am determined now youth!
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    I have been told not to take my levothroid with coffee or with Vit D. Also, it was suggested that I take it separate from my other medication because it can cause heartburn when taken with other meds.
    There is no way I would ever consider going without my medication for my low functioning thyroid. You had many of the same side effects I did, but there are many more.....hair falling out, deepening voice, leathery skin, and very bad depression just to name a few. Any side effects my medicine may have could never come close to the hell I went through before I was diagnosed. You will start feeling better very soon. Good luck!
  • editorgrrl
    I have been told not to take my levothroid with coffee or with Vit D. Also, it was suggested that I take it separate from my other medication because it can cause heartburn when taken with other meds.

You must take both Synthroid & Cytomel with a big glass of water on an empty stomach (2 hours after eating or drinking anything but water) and 4 hours after taking any vitamin, mineral, or fiber supplements. Then you must wait an hour before eating or drinking anything but water.

If you don't, your body won't fully absorb your meds.

My morning dose is easy peezy, but that window around my afternoon Cytomel is brutal. My endo actually suggested a third dosage at noon, but I flat-out refused.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Diet
    There are recommendations to avoid soy, goitrous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower and stone fruits like peaches and strawberries. The research is inconclusive. Some studies back it, other don't.

When I was diagnosed, I dropped it all. I had a hard time getting my thyroid regulated with the meds, gained a lot of weight and had tons of other side effects. UGH!

I really do think it's individual. I eat all those things now and am in the best health since I was diagnosed. And to be honest, before that.

Meds
    Talk to your doctor about dosage and when to take them. See what s/he says about what is working best for you. True they need to be on an empty stomach and that calcium, iron and other supplements can interfere with absorption (as can food). Antacids like nexium and prevacid are a no-no and must be taken as far apart from the meds as possible.

I take all mine in the morning (well, technically at my 4am wake-up pee break). While the T4 (synthroid/levoxyl) needs to build up in your system, the cytomel is fast acting and is in and out of your system within about a day.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited December 2014
    I have medication induced hypothyroidism. I take levothyroxine in the morning and haven't noticed any side effects.

As far as food goes, I'm sure I read something about not eating a lot of food with iodine, e.g. shellfish and seaweed. But you'd have to eat tons of the stuff, so it's not a problem.

However, you shouldn't use iodine based antiseptics (e.g. what's called 'betadine' where I live). If you end up in accident and emergency with a cut or something, let the nurse/Dr know.

Edit to add: I've never been given any instructions on what to avoid when taking the thyroxine, just to take it in the morning. That said, I take a fistful of tablets every morning and evening, so perhaps they figured there aren't optimum conditions to take it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    jadedone wrote: »
    I found I have to wait 2-3 hours after taking my meds before I can eat anything. I found I feel better if I do. I wait 4 hours before taking my vitamins.My Dr said the vitamins affected the synthroid. I was told to avoid soy that it would counter the effect of the synthroid. As long as my DR has me on the right dose I lose weight normally. This is my first year of being on meds for hypothyroidism and I have gone from 165 lbs to 140lbs. I know its time to have my levels checked since I have been at 140lbs for 2 months now. :happy:

Hmm I think I will need to ask my dr about soy. I have soy sauce about 2-3 times a week, tofu/similar items 1-2 a month, and edamame 2x a month, soy milk 3-5x a month.... I wonder if these have an impact.

You have to eat a LOT more soy than that to have an impact. Don't worry about it.

• PeachyCarol
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Diet
    There are recommendations to avoid soy, goitrous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower and stone fruits like peaches and strawberries. The research is inconclusive. Some studies back it, other don't.

When I was diagnosed, I dropped it all. I had a hard time getting my thyroid regulated with the meds, gained a lot of weight and had tons of other side effects. UGH!

I really do think it's individual. I eat all those things now and am in the best health since I was diagnosed. And to be honest, before that.

Meds
    Talk to your doctor about dosage and when to take them. See what s/he says about what is working best for you. True they need to be on an empty stomach and that calcium, iron and other supplements can interfere with absorption (as can food). Antacids like nexium and prevacid are a no-no and must be taken as far apart from the meds as possible.

I take all mine in the morning (well, technically at my 4am wake-up pee break). While the T4 (synthroid/levoxyl) needs to build up in your system, the cytomel is fast acting and is in and out of your system within about a day.

I talked to my endo about the veggies, she told me that I'd really have to gorge on them for them to be problematic. I adore cauliflower. I adore strawberries. I don't eat huge quantities, but I eat them frequently. I have Hashimoto's, and my thyroid does what a thyroid does with Hashimoto's in that it will run hot and cold sometimes, and it's hard to get it regulated, but according to my endo, it's down to Hashimoto's, NOT my diet.

• editorgrrl
    According to the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554
    Generally, there's no hypothyroidism diet. Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.

If you have hypothyroidism, take thyroid hormone replacement as directed by your doctor—generally with an empty stomach. It's also important to note that too much dietary fiber can impair the absorption of synthetic thyroid hormone. Certain foods, supplements and medications can have the same effect.

Avoid taking your thyroid hormone at the same time as:
    • Iron supplements or multivitamins containing iron
    • Calcium supplements
    • Antacids that contain aluminum or magnesium
    • Some ulcer medications, such as sucralfate (Carafate)
    • Some cholesterol-lowering drugs, such as those containing cholestyramine (Questran) and colestipol (Colestid)

To avoid potential interactions, use these products several hours before or after you take your thyroid medication.
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Diet

Meds

I talked to my endo about the veggies, she told me that I'd really have to gorge on them for them to be problematic. I adore cauliflower. I adore strawberries. I don't eat huge quantities, but I eat them frequently. I have Hashimoto's, and my thyroid does what a thyroid does with Hashimoto's in that it will run hot and cold sometimes, and it's hard to get it regulated, but according to my endo, it's down to Hashimoto's, NOT my diet.

Also, the chemical that causes thyroid issues with goitrous veggies starts to break down at 110 degrees Celsius (10 degrees above boiling)/230 Fahrenheit (18 degrees above boiling) - so steaming cauliflower and broccoli will basically get rid of it anyway.
  • PeachyCarol
    Diet

Meds

Also, the chemical that causes thyroid issues with goitrous veggies starts to break down at 110 degrees Celsius (10 degrees above boiling)/230 Fahrenheit (18 degrees above boiling) - so steaming cauliflower and broccoli will basically get rid of it anyway.

Oh, that's good to know, thanks. I usually have my cauliflower roasted with smoked paprika. No worries eating it that way!

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    You cannot fix a bum thyroid with food. You need a doctor.
  • Itisneeded
    Itisneeded Posts: 147 Member
    Here is another one. You have all given so much info there probably isn't much to add. I was diagnosed hypothyroid about 24 years ago. My doctor was never the talkative kind, and I didn't know enough to ask besides being worried about "complaining". I did notice that at every pregnancy after that, I would be unusually tired and kind of feverish the first three months, then came three months of calm, followed by a bad roller coaster ride of depression and anxiety with over 10 lbs weight loss the last 6 to 10 weeks. I did carefully mention it to doctor, but he didn't know what it was. He was sure it had nothing to do with the Synthroids. So now I wonder what it could be. Anyone else experience this?
  • editorgrrl
    edited December 2014
    Are you just hypothyroid, or do you have Hashimoto's? Hashi's is autoimmune, which means your body is attacking your thyroid. Usually the thyroid reacts to the attacks by not producing enough hormones, but sometimes it reacts by overproducing. Hence the ups & downs.

Hashi's is diagnosed by a blood test for antibodies plus an ultrasound of your neck. Ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. (If your doctor is an endo, find a new one—one you feel comfortable talking to.) A good doctor will regularly adjust your meds based on both your levels & your symptoms.